What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NSW Team in Origin History

Shorty

Staff member
Imagine feeling that for five years in a row.

pumpkin+puke3.jpg
Thought I was the only Queenslander feeling this.
For the last 2 years I've tried to prepare myself for losing...and the more we win the higher we have to fall.
On paper we're still well and truly superior, but that means nothing in Origin and the more we win the more vulnerable we are!

Mong

Post Whore
The fall won't be far at all. Its bound to happen eventually so the only thing of interest is howling it will take and how amusing that will be
NSW fans have had such a hard time it will be nice to see them not crying for a change :)

Mong

Post Whore
FWIW I seem to recall that the writer if the subject article is a Parra fan..

Explains a lot.

Yosh

Coach
Watching some of the old vids of SOO... Boy do I miss Joey and Mini... We had the likes of Baily and Ryles and we still dominated games... Gaz on fire, same with Cooper... How have we fallen so low?

Big Pete

Referee
Basically everything that could go wrong for NSW did and Qld vastly improved on that series.

I reckon along the way, NSW have cost themselves at least one series out of their own ineptitude.

What's up with badmouthing Bailey though? I always thought he was a good servant for NSW.

Knightmare

Coach
Pardon my ignorance Pete but what series are you talking of?

I agree Bailey was a good servant for NSW, although the penalty he gave away in Game 2 of the '07 series arguably cost us the game (and subsequently the series). I don't think NSW at full-strength have been too far behind the Maroons since 2006, last year was probably the first time a gap really opened up. It was more like watching a Maroons' training session, and even in Game 3 I thought it was a bit unfair to blame Ennis for the loss, as there were still 10 or so minutes left when he gave away the penalty, which was plenty of time for a Maroons player to make a line-break and score a runaway try, penalty given or not.

Big Pete

Referee
I wasn't referring to any series in particular Knightmare. Just commenting that a lot of short sighted decisions hurt NSW in the long term. Then again, some issues were simply out of NSWRL's control which you alluded to.

Personally, I held Snowden more accountable than Ennis for the loss. Losing the ball inside his own half is the break Qld needed.

Knightmare

Coach
I don't think there was any one reason for the decline of NSW. There are/ were probably about 4 or 5, which all coincided with one another. I will say that had Joey stayed fit another few years and kept playing Origin, I reckon he could have got the Blues over the line in another few games which may have decided the series.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't think there was any one reason for the decline of NSW. There are/ were probably about 4 or 5, which all coincided with one another. I will say that had Joey stayed fit another few years and kept playing Origin, I reckon he could have got the Blues over the line in another few games which may have decided the series.

I never said there was any one reason and bringing up hypotheticals is a waste of time.

I could write all day about how NSW fell apart but you can sum it up all in one word: instability.

There were other factors they couldn't control but they demonstrated with those they could that they were incompetent.

Joker's Wild

Coach
NSW failed to prepare for the future imo

No understudies for Johns, Buderus, Barrett, etc then chopping and changing their eventual replacements so much that they killed most of the confidence of their young guys really hurt them over the last 5 years.

That and having 2 coaches who had too much interest in their club sides at the time.

Big Pete

Referee
I agree with that last point JW.

One point I will address is the point I see raised now and then that Murray didn't target his club players enough. For mine, he certainly did, in fact he basically exposed Bowen in Origin 1 and it basically killed his rep. career.

When it comes to Bellamy, originally he did and succeeded but in the end their class just shone through.

Mong

Post Whore
Or worse still hoping they lose and players go badly because of the club team they play for so they can make some kind of a point about it later on. I f*cking hate the Broncos but every year when their players put on the maroon jersey i cheer for them as much as anyone else, even back in the day when the team was largely made up of Broncos.

I will never understand the NSW mentality to these things.

And where have NSW fans been saying that?

Hmmm.

Can find examples of it in practically every thread post origin. Club loyalties get in the way of common sense, posters clearly wanting players to fail based on club loyalty, i'd hate to be a nsw fan reading it.

From a QLD perspective it's a little unbelievable but somewhat amusing at the same time.

Latest posts