What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst opening ceremony ... ever

et

Juniors
I can't believe I waited up for that! The first hour was OK, but still colourless (the stadium and lighting was so bland) and little movement. The water with the comet going into it was pretty awesome, and *some* of the history procession was OK.

It was good to see Australia get a big cheer when they went out, but after that it should have been back to sleep.

Waiting over an hour for a crap performance by Bjork (wtf! :arrow: Winter Olympics), cut to the International Space Station for no apparent reason, and that was about all until they lit the giant cigar and let off a few bungers.

There was no theme or reason to the music, no big surprises, and some noticeable pauses where nothing at all happened.

My summary in one word: disjointed.

Am I just totally biased after Sydney?

Generalzod

Immortal
Et you got to be joking,
It was better than the Mowers and tin sheds, what kind of History is that.

et

Juniors
Generalzod said:
This just shows the Greeks had a hell of a lot more to work with. Do you remember what they did with the tin sheets - hundreds of tap dancers coming down from the aisles, the welders working to the tune of the music etc. There was no synchronisation in Athens between the music and the performance, no interaction with the crowd, not even a song to be the theme for the Olympics. I don't like to be harsh after they gave us a big cheer, but I thought it was pretty bland.

Generalzod

Immortal
et said:
Generalzod said:
This just shows the Greeks had a hell of a lot more to work with. Do you remember what they did with the tin sheets - hundreds of tap dancers coming down from the aisles, the welders working to the tune of the music etc. There was no synchronisation in Athens between the music and the performance, no interaction with the crowd, not even a song to be the theme for the Olympics. I don't like to be harsh after they gave us a big cheer, but I thought it was pretty bland.

As much as I like the Sydney opening ceremony, The Greek opening ceremony raised the bar to a new level.
The ceremony showed Greece's history through the advancement in mathematics, medicine, mythology and Heroes.

et

Juniors
Generalzod said:
As much as I like the Sydney opening ceremony, The Greek opening ceremony raised the bar to a new level.
The ceremony showed Greece's history through the advancement in mathematics, medicine, mythology and Heroes.
Well I enjoy Greek history and mythology, but was underwhelmed by these displays. Maybe it is just because they had so much potential and did not use it, e.g. after going to the trouble of filling the stadium with water they could have used it for more than just a lone boat. Maybe they tried to fit in everything without doing any one thing justice.

Well to balance out my criticism, some other things I thought were good: the Centaur, the Eros scene with the two lovers, and the torch runners in the air.

Bomber

Bench
I went to bed with the ABC radio on low and woke up when the teams were entering the stadium....very odd to hear what sounded like little children speaking Greek, French and English in your dreams.

Then I woke up to the sound of two cats fighting, but was vastly disappointed to find out it was only Bjork.

The speeches were too holier-than-thou for my liking, particularly from the Greek lady. It is a documented fact that the first modern Olympics were held in Athens only because Baron de Coubertein did so out of tribute to the ancient Greeks. It was the French IMO who had the drive and initiative to establish the modern games.

One thing that Athens did well compared to Sydney was they cut out the number of songs (we had four bloody songs - Nikki Webster, Farnham/Newton-John, Vanessa Amorosi and Tina Arena - none of which ever set the world alight in the same way that Amigos Para Sempre did in 1992)

The torch relay was very anti-climatic, and no doubt the organisers had a certain sprinter who was going to light the cauldron instead of some unknown windsurfer. I suppose part of the anticlimatic nature of the ceremony was that the cauldron was clearly visible to all during the ceremony, unlike in Sydney.

At least Athen's cauldron did what it was supposed to do, and not get stuck for five minutes like in Sydney.

Personally my favourite part of the ceremony (of what I saw) was when the chick taking the athelete's oath forgot the words. ;-)

Roll on the real action

PARRA_FAN

Coach
You dont sound biased CB, in fact its true no Olympic ceremony will beat Sydney 2000, until the next Sydney games. ;-)

Sterling

Juniors
Twizzle said:
very ordinary

not as entertaining as Sydneys opening

you must have been smoking some serious weed while watching the sydney games tosser.....
the greeks RAISED the bar....best opeing ceremony in history

its funny how every aussy commentator thought the same thing....except for important people like you :roll: :roll:

Agent Mulder

Bench
Wow So much better then the Sydney Opening.
Much better stadium as well.

I really enjoyed the Greece opening more then Sydney.

Sterling

Juniors
Generalzod said:
et said:
Generalzod said:

Well said.....the other people here cant see that because they are un-cultured and uneducated.

well done Greece ....you did us proud!

sunny

Not as good as Sydney, but generally pretty damn good......except for having to put up with f**king Rebecca Wilson on commentary. She is a boorish clown who knows nothing about anything.

ozbash

Referee
i dont think you can really compare them as a spectacle.
i liked the aussie one , it was closer to home and i had a rough idea what it meant.

the greek one was spectacular in an artistic sense.

Sterling

Juniors
et said:
Sterling said:
Well said.....the other people here cant see that because they are un-cultured and uneducated.
Biggest wanker... ever!

tin cans and lawn mowers for your culture....lol

g'day mate!.....good culture you yobo!!
Greece took the games to a new level....jelousy is a curse.....get over it