What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Try In The History Of Origin

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
None of you foolish Queenslanders have said how trying to ground the ball isn't playing at it?! If a player kicks the ball and it hits an opposing player's arms that are trying to ground that very same ball, HOW IS THAT NOT PLAYING AT IT?

Completely irrelevant as it is illegal to kick at the ball.

FMD how many times must this be explained.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
GI changed directions and Farah switched footing to compensate, his boot dislodging the ball in the process.

Where was the ball security? It came off his forearm = knock on.

Ball security doesn't extend to having the ball kicked out of your hands. If Farah doesn't dislodge the ball with his foot, it's a try. Simple as that.

Springs

First Grade
Completely irrelevant as it is illegal to kick at the ball.

FMD how many times must this be explained.

You mean kick it when it's in another player's hands. Then it's a penalty or penalty try, still not the correct decision. And that's if he played at it. However then Slater should be penalised for leading with the knees when Farah was held up in the first half.

AceAv

Juniors
Obviously no one here is ever going to agree or change their mind. Hopefully we hear Bill Harrigans ruling soon and that should shut either of us up.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You mean kick it when it's in another player's hands. Then it's a penalty or penalty try, still not the correct decision. And that's if he played at it. However then Slater should be penalised for leading with the knees when Farah was held up in the first half.

Then either way it's a try, and you just have your panties in a bunch over what type of try it is.

Springs

First Grade
Then either way it's a try, and you just have your panties in a bunch over what type of try it is.

No I don't because I don't think what Farah did was illegal. And the video ref didn't rule it as illegal. It's either a penalty try or a knock on.

It's illegal to slide in leading with the knees or feet. I wouldn't say putting your foot down to try and stop it like that is illegal.

El Diablo

Post Whore
No I don't because I don't think what Farah did was illegal. And the video ref didn't rule it as illegal. It's either a penalty try or a knock on.

It's illegal to slide in leading with the knees or feet. I wouldn't say putting your foot down to try and stop it like that is illegal.

what Farah did was legit

it only becomes a prob if you connect with the player

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
what Farah did was legit

it only becomes a prob if you connect with the player

IIRC the rule specifically says that you can't attempt to dislodge the ball with any part of your legs or feet.

The sliding rule was brought about for Slater, but not using feet when defending the tryline is as old as the hills.

user_nat

Coach
At 1:20 in this video Broncos were awarded a penalty try against Melbourne in 2010 because the ball was kicked out of Yow Yeh's hands, he didn't even ground it afterwards. Funny thing is Gus says "Slater kicked it, which is an illegal play"

I guess the difference is YY dived over the line, which actually meant being kicked in the face was a possibility, but where do you draw the line with dangerous contact? He wasn't kicked in the face though, the ball was simply dislodged by a kick. Although this highlights package doesn't really show that.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/ref...-greg-inglis-try/story-e6frf9if-1226365409920

So will you shut up now?

The contention wasn't with the initially dislodging of the ball, it from when the ball hit G.I's forearms after it came off Farah's foot
I guess you missed the one where Harrigan says this was made up?

Plus who the heck cares what Harrigan thinks, the guy is more clueless than most of his refs are.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
-But regardless, if this was the try that won NSW the game it would be us crying knock on and NSW saying fair call. There will always be 50/50 calls and grey area in NRL. Solution: SCORE MORE TRIES!?

You must be referring to a different incident because it wasn’t a 50/50, it was a 0/100 that astonishingly went in QLDs favour. If it was us you would see us admit it was the wrong call and laugh up the fact that a referees call actually went against the QLD side for once.

You guys are so deluded and insular that you have actually convinced yourselves it was the right decision.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You guys are so deluded and insular that you have actually convinced yourselves it was the right decision.

That cowardly dog Cameron Smith should have been sent off for his deliberate elbow to the face of a NSW player and should be given at least an 8 week suspension. Butt chin won’t get so much as a warning though.

Awesome irony.

:lol:

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
At 1:20 in this video Broncos were awarded a penalty try against Melbourne in 2010 because the ball was kicked out of Yow Yeh's hands, he didn't even ground it afterwards. Funny thing is Gus says "Slater kicked it, which is an illegal play"

I guess the difference is YY dived over the line, which actually meant being kicked in the face was a possibility, but where do you draw the line with dangerous contact? He wasn't kicked in the face though, the ball was simply dislodged by a kick. Although this highlights package doesn't really show that.

I guess you missed the one where Harrigan says this was made up?

Plus who the heck cares what Harrigan thinks, the guy is more clueless than most of his refs are.

Slater slid in legs first and was charged

different http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...me-boots-and-all/story-e6frepbx-1225869999078

Karl

Juniors
Me? Not making sense? You're the one evryone thinks is embarrassing himself you idiot.

They aren't laughable, they are the rules under your undertanding. Inglis was playing at the ball, it came off his arm, knock-on. Do you not understand this words. Can you not comprehend something this simple, that has been in the game since it began? Are that dense? Any reasonable person who has any idea about the knock-on rule called that a knock on when they saw it and would call it a knock on in any game played around the world. You are the one bringing 1000ths of a second and brain registry into it.

You dolt, the comments about "1000ths of a second and brain registry" go to whether he "played at the ball" - which requires intention. These are the Rules you dense merkin.

Did he play at the ball as it came off Farah's boot?

ANSWER - NO. He could not possibly have played at the ball as it came off Farah's boot.

WAS he playing the ball (ie, attempting to ground it) BEFORE Farah kicked it loose (illegally)? Yes. Is that relevant? NO. What he was doing BEFORE the ball is knocked loose is irrelevant. What matters is what he was doing AFTER the ball came of Farahs boot. It doesn't matter whether it came off GI's forearms because he did not play at it. What is so hard to understand?

El Diablo

Post Whore
That link isn't work ATM, but in the video I linked he clearly doesn't slide in. He kicks at it and falls over, which is exactly what happened with Farah.

works fine and your vid clearly shows him sliding in

from the link

Maroons fullback Billy Slater vows to stick to his natural game, boots and all

Damien Stannard
The Sunday Mail (Qld)
May 23, 2010 12:00AM

BILLY Slater will persist with his controversial feet-first tackling style if it means saving tries during the State of Origin campaign.

The Queensland fullback's habit of sliding boots-first to prevent players grounding the ball on the tryline has in the past landed him in hot water with officials.

Two weeks ago he received a grade one dangerous contact charge following the Storm-Broncos game in Melbourne over an incident that resulted in a rare penalty try being awarded to Brisbane.

Slater skidded into the tackle legs first, attempting to stop winger Jharal Yow Yeh scoring in the corner.

The Melbourne custodian escaped suspension with an early guilty plea which means his next transgression, however minimal, would result in at least a one-week ban..

Last edited: