What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst World Cup Fears a Reality...

Copa

Bench
AlbertRosenfeld said:
Telstra has a great atmosphere when it is full.

Every other code of footbal can fill Telstra for international events, and the NRL can fill it for the Grand Final and State of Origin.

The problem is just that the Love-Carr ARL/RLIF operation can't fill it. This is because, like the pre-Richard Lewis administration in the UK (where the 350 lb tight wad accountant Nigel Wood made all financial decisions), the ARL/RLIF won't spend enough money promoting the events.
Ive been to a ful telstra.... suncorp is heaps better IMO.. better view... better atmosphere..

roughyedspud

Coach
when it comes to the world cup final it does'nt matter which has the better atmosphere..personally i want the final @ suncorp but if the RLIF are confident of selling 80k tickets then it'll be held @ telstra...and given the likelyhood of a 3rd place play off & final doubleheader then i reckon the big event is going to go to telstra.....sadly

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Copa said:
Ive been to a ful telstra.... suncorp is heaps better IMO.. better view... better atmosphere..

It is not just about atmosphere of the stadium. That is only the third factor. It is more about money earned and the prestige of the game.

If the World CUp final can attract 82,000 people, or 70,000 people, or even 60,000 people then it should be at Telstra. The added profit from 8,000 tickets more than Suncorp could sell, in a Telstra that had only 60,000 fans there, could perhaps be used to bring 6 top PNG youths to train and play in Australia for 2 years.

But it also about taking the international game seriously. When you hold your most prestigious event in the nation's 3rd biggest city, in the third biggest stadium, rather than in the biggest city in a stadium with a much bigger capacity (almost 60% bigger), then the customer base and the sponsors do not take the whole enterprise so seriously.

boonboon

Juniors
The format is the biggest joke in international sport

Should be 2 pools of 5 , say Aus & NZ in one with 3 others , and Eng, France, PNG and 2 others in the other

Goleel

Juniors
I reckon the final should be at Telstra, but no Australian games in Sydney before that, instead the following wouldn't be a bad idea:

Send one pool game to Newcastle, one and the Aussie semi to Suncorp, then the final pool game to WIN, Canberra, North Qld or perhaps even Melbourne (probably have to be the Aus v NZ game). Sydney crowds will come out for the big final, but I can't see Sydney supporting an Australia v England qualifier at Aussie Stadium in the prelims unfortunately.

Not sure if it is possible for the NZ games to be held over there, if not, spread the rest of the games around the domestic grounds, Parramatta, Aussie, Central Coast, WIN, Newcastle, Campbelltown, Penrith, Canberra, Nth Qld and Gold Coast all have good facilities to run a world cup pool game. I say keep Telstra out of the world cup until the final, and only use Aussie Stadium for games that could get a big crowd, which would be the NZ v England game and thats about it if the Aussie games are played elsewhere.

It comes down to Sydney paying the price for not supporting international rugby league that well in recent times, while Newcastle, Suncorp and even Melbourne had big international crowds.

As for the format, well, I can think of better structures, but at least it gives some quality matches before the semis, both in the 'super' pool and with the other pools not having a team in there that will put 1000 on them. I'd rather see an Ireland v Wales clash that is close and tough than say, Fiji v Australia where we win by 60.

roughyedspud

Coach
id go for

pool 1 - games between big 3 @ sydney (aussie),brisbane & melbourne and the 3 games v's the 4th team played @ canbarra,newcastle

pool 2 - gold coast & townsville

pool 3 - perth & melbourne

semi final qualifier - gold coast

semi finals - melbourne & brisbane

final/3rd place doubleheader - sydney (telstra):x

or something like that

Copa

Bench
AlbertRosenfeld said:
It is not just about atmosphere of the stadium. That is only the third factor. It is more about money earned and the prestige of the game.

If the World CUp final can attract 82,000 people, or 70,000 people, or even 60,000 people then it should be at Telstra. The added profit from 8,000 tickets more than Suncorp could sell, in a Telstra that had only 60,000 fans there, could perhaps be used to bring 6 top PNG youths to train and play in Australia for 2 years.

But it also about taking the international game seriously. When you hold your most prestigious event in the nation's 3rd biggest city, in the third biggest stadium, rather than in the biggest city in a stadium with a much bigger capacity (almost 60% bigger), then the customer base and the sponsors do not take the whole enterprise so seriously.
Less ticket sales doesn't make a difference if the State government hands over millions of $$$...

So what if Brisbane get it...?? THey fill it to the rafters....

roopy

Referee
The tit doesn't break forum rules - so we can't get rid of him.
You can all put him on ignore - but as a moderator i can't.
Sucks to be me.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
rugby13france-livrade+sav said:
Less than 45 RL fans for this subject,
this perhaps means the interest of the RL fans for the international games !

You encounter the same interest for all the forum http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69
or for this
http://forums.rleague.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Unfortunately, International games, International RL aren't in the culture of the RL fans !

Hahahaha funny.

Maybe a good guide to how much support the kangaroo's have would be how many watch them on TV?

Every year, the Kangaroo's absolutely smash the wallabies and most other Australian teams on TV, if they market it right, and put some decent effort into it, we'll have no problem selling all the stadiums out.

Just because you don't see many posts in here now, doesn't mean people aren't interested, it's still the off season mate, Australia don't have any games until April.

You know, it wasn't that long ago, the wallabies couldn't get 15,000 to a game at Concorde oval, and at the same time, no one would watch them on TV, we have an audience, we just need to get them to the game.

It will happen, you wait and see.

ParraEelsNRL said:
Hahahaha funny.

Maybe a good guide to how much support the kangaroo's have would be how many watch them on TV?

Every year, the Kangaroo's absolutely smash the wallabies and most other Australian teams on TV, if they market it right, and put some decent effort into it, we'll have no problem selling all the stadiums out.

Just because you don't see many posts in here now, doesn't mean people aren't interested, it's still the off season mate, Australia don't have any games until April.

You know, it wasn't that long ago, the wallabies couldn't get 15,000 to a game at Concorde oval, and at the same time, no one would watch them on TV, we have an audience, we just need to get them to the game.

It will happen, you wait and see.

Exactly right. The results we receive from the bungled efforts of the ARL are quite astounding if you think about it. So much unlocked potential.

I honestly believe in this World Cup...if only they can get the formula and the marketing right.

The relaunch of the kangaroo brand has been a big success. Its only a matter of time until it's back up with the baggy green as the most prized sporting possession in the land.

Oh...and go the french in the WC. I'll be willing them on, even if you won't be you union hack. (lets just ignore the porkchop from now on)

France win games, people care France! Big audience must enjoy big win and performance from standout surprise team!

shaggy

Juniors
seriously he counted the people that posted in this topic, thats not good
a sold out world cup is what matters & tri nations prove brisbane can do that, you dont want the whole world seeing a half full stadium for the world cup final

what about adelaide for hosting world cup games & maybe even tassie

bobbis

Juniors
I cant agree with this format its farcical to be honest. I'd much prefer a 2 groups of 5 format and I highly doubt it'd result in any smaller a profit. We all know Australia will thrash fiji or another minnow, I presume this is the reason the top 4 will be in their own pool. Effectively by doing this you're saying the majority of the teams aren't good enough to play Australia, England and NZ, I honestly think by doing this you're making the minnows appear as even less credible opposition than if they took an 80 nil pummeling. I also think that if you say these teams are so far below the standard of Aus, NZ and Eng so as to not be worthy of playing them that getting crowds to the other 2 pools will be far harder than if you treated them as equals.

As a fan I would've preferred to watch Australia play the weaker nations in pool matches than to watch another repeat of the Trinations dressed up as a WC. I see Australia play GB/Eng and NZ every year in a world cup Id prefer to be served something a little different, it should be a celebration of international league and that means pitting the strong nations against the weak. Sure you'll get closer matches and more blockbuster matches but I don't think this will add to the credibility of the tournament. I don't know how anybody could honestly be happy with how this WC is being managed so far. Its a bit over 1 year away and theres no promotion in fact the format hasn't even been announced, allowing the format to be leaked to this forum prior to a proper official launch is to be honest amateurish.

As for where the final should be played, Sydney should only be considered if they can guarantee a sell out at telstra, a below capacity crowd for an RLWC final would be bad for the games credibility especially given Suncorp can guarantee a sellout. If Telstra can sellout out it should be purely a matter of money between whether Brisbane or Sydney gets the final, they should add up expected ticket sales and state government inducements less costs for the game and which ever venue earns the most should be chosen. This tournament needs to support international development for the next 4 or 5 years so its critical they milk every possible dollar from it.

bowes

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised if the smaller pool games were each held as a curtain raiser to a game in the Super Group. Would be a disgrace but the logical conclusion of packaging them as inferior