What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you Pay Talagi $600k a Season

mickeylane

Bench
Looking at Parra young gun Talagi he’s a special kid and can cover 1,3 and 6 equally as well. I’m of the opinion that if you identify a young player that’s undoubtedly exuding talent then you pay futures to secure him.. he comes next year and slots in the centre, the year Hunt leaves he slots into 6 w young Flanno at 7.. surely we go for him aggressively but none of this bullshit deal offer like we offered Turuva where we said if you play FB u get FB money if you plant centre u get centre money etc.. which genius came up w that idea.. just pay overs and get the cream of the crop!!

There's risk involved with most signings. I would definitely get him on a 3 year contract at $1.5-1.8mil. He has that champion look about him but you can expect he won't hit peak til later in that contract.

If he is interested in coming to the Dragons then that is a bonus because up until now, not many are.

Also, Sloan for 500k a season is a no brainer. We could do with both.

mickeylane

Bench
Hello - the guy is a Sloan doppelganger. Sure he possesses attacking flair but the guy's tackling is very very questionable.

The 600K money is better spent on JDB.
You’re kidding right! This is why this club is so average .. you would rather throw $600k at a 32yo rather than a potential star player.. I’ll put it this way so it’s easier for you to comprehend.. your paying Jack Bird $575k a season to play centre .. would u rather pay Talagi the money to play centre or resign Bird?

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Hello - the guy is a Sloan doppelganger. Sure he possesses attacking flair but the guy's tackling is very very questionable.

The 600K money is better spent on JDB.
600k for JDB give me a break the club looked after this bloke for two years for nothing he should show some gratitude and stay for about 400k max. Talagi might have some defence issues but he's young with some x factor sign him up now.

TheRev

Coach
100%.... 550k atleast, if we get him its a real star not just another reserve-grader..... he will be our equivalent of Bula or Faalogo, he has 5x the potential of Sloan.. hits everything with full intent, literally every time the ball in his hand things happen thru a combination of his step, speed, pull out of impact and his passing game.. sets up tries or creates his own... breaks tackles easily... and keeps pushing thru on almost every contact.. something Sloan never does.. Sloan relies on gliding into open space or being in support (again into empty space) as his main weapons... its nice.. but its not the full package.

Then there is toughness.. Talagi is 2 games in, 19yrs old and goes up for contested bombs and takes em.. today he copped a head knock 'while' taking a contested bomb.. and he still caught the damn thing and came down blood gushing out of his face... saints fans dont realise how powerful we will be with a guy who goes after every collision.

The cons are he will need a season to learn the basics in defence.. he goes in hard but he has some things to learn as you would expect in a 19yr old rookie... and its something Sloan has already gone through in his 3yrs of blooding.. but I dont think it will be too difficult to pick that side up.

That said (if we get him), it will still depend on who else we sign before 2025... as we may need him to play @ctr or 5/8 yet.. either way its a win, cause he will slot in somewhere between 1 to 6 and give us a bunch of speed and skill we do not currently have.

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
If we want to participate in the NRL race... we have to back a few horses... and there is no point dieing on our mound of cash.

I think many fans got burnt by how Sloan/Amone/Sullivan's contracts ended up, we paid a lot early to keep them here... iirc were in that 400-550k bracket, this was before the cap went up, so thats prob equivalent of 550-750k.

But you gotta keep moving.. the advantage of Blaize is he can cover 1-6 and when I say cover..... like I think he could be a gun in any of those positions.. we need a couple more like that so our roster isnt so damn rigid like it is now... we really have been extraordinarily lucky with injuries (so far), the day Sloane or Liddle goes down is the day the castle starts to crumble, Marshke can probably cover Kyle 'or' Hunt (obviously not both).

But to keep it real... on any given day we are 2 injuries away from a Feagai in 1st grade.

Parko1310

Juniors
Bit confused on the Talagi to Dragons hype if I'm honest. He looks like a deadset fullback, but we're clearly investing in Sloan there so that's not an option for Talagi here (at this stage). You don't pay 500k for Sloan to play anywhere but fullback. His output on the wing would be terrible. Is everyone willing to ignore just how awful Talagi was defending in the front line when he played centre and 6? I think he's a talent, but as a fullback. He doesn't have a spot at the back here. Some of his defence, and not only his tackling, but his actual decision making when he was in the line was abhorrent. I just don't see how he fits into the side, because he is clearly a fullback to me

Clarkent

Juniors
Bit confused on the Talagi to Dragons hype if I'm honest. He looks like a deadset fullback, but we're clearly investing in Sloan there so that's not an option for Talagi here (at this stage). You don't pay 500k for Sloan to play anywhere but fullback. His output on the wing would be terrible. Is everyone willing to ignore just how awful Talagi was defending in the front line when he played centre and 6? I think he's a talent, but as a fullback. He doesn't have a spot at the back here. Some of his defence, and not only his tackling, but his actual decision making when he was in the line was abhorrent. I just don't see how he fits into the side, because he is clearly a fullback to me
I think your looking at Talagi the wrong way. Yes his defence needs a bit of work but he's got huge potential, and he's shown that 2 games in a row. Defence can improve through training, x-factor you can't, and the kids got it. Walsh was a terrible defender but over the years he's improved on that and no one ever brings that up anymore. The kids 19 imagine how good he'll be in 2 years the same age Walsh is now

Latest posts