What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you Pay Talagi $600k a Season

redVinme

Bench
100% it's the cost of doing business when your not a desirable place to land. Get one in and more will feel confident doing the same. Embrace the youth and give us a team to be proud of

TheRev

Coach
I dont know who exactly we are signing that is 'responsible', we are scrapping for every piece of talent we can get our hands on.. and this one I think is going to be competing for rep honours in 4yrs time.. but even if he wasnt.. what exactly is the alternative? NSW Cup veterans or blokes forced outof other clubs in their mid 30s.

For what its worth i think Talagi is already having as much of an impact on a game as Ponga.. whether he can sustain that over a long period I dunno.. but every touch is gold currently.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
I dont know who exactly we are signing that is 'responsible', we are scrapping for every piece of talent we can get our hands on.. and this one I think is going to be competing for rep honours in 4yrs time.. but even if he wasnt.. what exactly is the alternative? NSW Cup veterans or blokes forced outof other clubs in their mid 30s.

For what its worth i think Talagi is already having as much of an impact on a game as Ponga.. whether he can sustain that over a long period I dunno.. but every touch is gold currently.
okay, in saying all of that, how much would you offer him?

as a club, we need to get out of a cycle of throwing cash around and paying super overs for players.
If the club sets themselves a limit, offer that contract to Talagi and he declines, well so be it. I would much rather they stuck to their guns and not over spend, especially on a player who's played exactly 5 first grade games (and 2 of them were extremely poor defensively).

Happy to pay overs for certain players, he's not one of them imo. Anything above 400/450k max would be super overs right now. Every touch certainly isn't gold, as mentioned by me earlier and lots of others, he has real defensive issues. I respect your opinion, however definitely think Ponga was a much better player and prospect at the same stage of development

TheRev

Coach
okay, in saying all of that, how much would you offer him?

as a club, we need to get out of a cycle of throwing cash around and paying super overs for players.
If the club sets themselves a limit, offer that contract to Talagi and he declines, well so be it. I would much rather they stuck to their guns and not over spend, especially on a player who's played exactly 5 first grade games (and 2 of them were extremely poor defensively).

Happy to pay overs for certain players, he's not one of them imo. Anything above 400/450k max would be super overs right now. Every touch certainly isn't gold, as mentioned by me earlier and lots of others, he has real defensive issues. I respect your opinion, however definitely think Ponga was a much better player and prospect at the same stage of development
Unless the plan is to retain the Feagais and burn the extra cash.. I think we are ok to take a punt on a couple of young guns. We dont have the luxury of picking and choosing talent at under market value... Parra have already offered the money you are talking about.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Unless the plan is to retain the Feagais and burn the extra cash.. I think we are ok to take a punt on a couple of young guns. We dont have the luxury of picking and choosing talent at under market value... Parra have already offered the money you are talking about.
I mean, I highly doubt both Feagais will be retained, but sure. There's taking a punt, and then there's overspending. You didn't answer my question, what would you offer Talagi? As an offer you would be happy making. And what position does he play? For me, he would play centre here (or eventually 6). I'm not picking him over Sloan at 1 as it currently stands

Also - you have mentioned under market value there, I have at no point suggested we offer under market value, tbh I think my offer as mentioned above is actually above what his market value is. There's no actual monetary value attached to Parra's offer, i've seen a new numbers thrown around, lets say its at absolute max $1.2 3 year deal. I said $1.4 is where I would go to, how is that the same as the Parra offer?

Lennyb

Juniors
Getting Talagi in a clean swap with Sloan would be getting him at unders. Absolute steal IMHO.

Throw in an extra 50, still a steal. Kid will go places.

Sloan is our FB because Ramsey and Allan are unavailable.

He hates the contact and he is near on 50 NRL games and you cant blame the coaching for the contact side of things.

Gonna get heaps of hate, but its blatantly obvious.

I don’t know shite about Talagi however, if he is a potential talented 6, here’s what I think will happen should we sign him and manage to get him 2025 (If 2026 ignore point 2.)
  • Hunt won’t get an extension -Yay!
  • Talagi will play center 2025 - contract permitting
  • Sloan will remain fullback 2025
  • Goodbye Hunt 2026
  • KF will play half 2026
  • Talagi to 6 in 2026
Whether you like it or not, Kyle will eventually become our organiser at halfback not 14 as everyone wants to place him

Me, I love it

2020 at the roosters shows that Kyle is a more than valuable half inside a great running five-eighth.

There are no other quality halves at KF contract $$$ and he can do a superb job.

P.S. I am not related :)

SnowDragon

Juniors
I’m also not sure on Talangi. Haven’t seen a lot of him, so hard to value.

however, I love the idea of getting young guns, and we have the cash to take a risk. People are talking that he can play everywhere in the back line Which is a huge plus.

-Sloan is my pick at fullback. However, the next 2 years will tell if he is the gun I think or a Dufty. A backup here is critical (even for injury purposes)
-Our halves are lacking depth. Hunt may retire soon, or leave. Flanno jnr. is possible long term, but may be hooker? 14 or… options exist now, and will definitely be there in a few years time
-we loose One of our best centres for next year in Lomax. More opportunities here.

so for me, if Flanno thinks a lot of this guy, then he is worth a gamble on overs. If he ends up as a centre half or fullback time would tell. He can start wherever there is a gap (centre?) but can transform to the best option later.

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
H
Bit confused on the Talagi to Dragons hype if I'm honest. He looks like a deadset fullback, but we're clearly investing in Sloan there so that's not an option for Talagi here (at this stage). You don't pay 500k for Sloan to play anywhere but fullback. His output on the wing would be terrible. Is everyone willing to ignore just how awful Talagi was defending in the front line when he played centre and 6? I think he's a talent, but as a fullback. He doesn't have a spot at the back here. Some of his defence, and not only his tackling, but his actual decision making when he was in the line was abhorrent. I just don't see how he fits into the side, because he is clearly a fullback to me
He came to grade as a 5/8 that’s his preference

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
An alternative to Talagi would be Newcastle's David Armstrong- an off contract 23 yo taller version of Ryan Papenhuyzen. Can play wing or full-back. Check out his highlights reel. Can catch, tackle and run like the wind.

I'd have Tamale in the centres next year. Armstrong would be genuine opposition for Sloan unlike Allen and (probably) Ramsay.

justadragon

Bench
I’ll tell what impact it will have - his manager Isaac Moses would have called him and said “f**ked if I know who’s going to be coach - if I can get you $1.6m out of Dragons I say we take it”
100% except I'd say f%$k Barrett is going to be the coach , lets get out of here .

SnowDragon

Juniors
Just watched the Melbourne storm match from the weekend. He made a few mistakes that our supporters would have gone ballistic over. However, it’s hard to perform when your team is smashed, and he was both fearless and competitiv, and his stats look good compared to his teammates

we should all be careful to make our opinions based on a couple of matches only.

Latest posts