What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you Pay Talagi $600k a Season

maestro1

Bench
Bit confused on the Talagi to Dragons hype if I'm honest. He looks like a deadset fullback, but we're clearly investing in Sloan there so that's not an option for Talagi here (at this stage). You don't pay 500k for Sloan to play anywhere but fullback. His output on the wing would be terrible. Is everyone willing to ignore just how awful Talagi was defending in the front line when he played centre and 6? I think he's a talent, but as a fullback. He doesn't have a spot at the back here. Some of his defence, and not only his tackling, but his actual decision making when he was in the line was abhorrent. I just don't see how he fits into the side, because he is clearly a fullback to me
He is 19. Most 19 year olds have defensive issues. That's where Flanno and Deano earn their money. Taulagi will be a gun, his defence will improve. He reminds me of a young Joseph Manu.

BigRedVee

Juniors
25: 400k, 26: 450k 26: 500-550 is a more likely deal structure and Flano has shown that he won’t pay overs. But on this occasion he will have to

TheRev

First Grade
I think someone else mentioned 1.3m over 3yrs from parra.. everyone on here is a bean counter trying to play money ball.. we have to pay more than the minimum to get players out of clubs... this kid is worth it and then some, he's raw but thats what gives us a chance to sign him.. we arent going to be signing Manu or an origin player... and this sure beats signing more Allan or Browns.... if we get him.. itll be the first bloke we have signed who will be part of our club in 3-5yrs time.

Also... apart from replacing Lomax, we have this huge backline talent hole at the club.. noone is pushing thru to first grade.. we have some kids but they are still in SG/Flegg.. this is due to the Feagais not coming on etc.. both of which are gone end of year also.. and the loss of other kids like bostok, morkos, schiller, garrick, saab etc etc.. there is a gulf down there and we need to fill it in a bit with external talent, while we see how fast kids like Williams and LKT come thru.

kit66

Bench
At the moment this kid is an out and out fullback. I know he can play anywhere 1-6 but the games he's played at fullback he's been lethal, just 2 games for 2 tries, 1 assist, 4 line breaks and averaged over 200 mtrs, plus great backing up and other involvement. Small sample but the kid was a standout in a badly beaten team against quality opposition - Broncos and Storm. I didn't see his games at 5/8 but he apparently went ok and even better playing centre in his debut.
He'll get plenty of offers from any team looking to add talent and speed to their backline but he won't be cheap even this early in his career. I'd make him an offer he can't refuse, he's just what we need for the future and to cover for Lomax and eventually Hunt or even fullback although I'm counting on Sloan to become the star we were expecting.

Parko1310

Juniors
Fair enough, I don't deny his talent but I just think he's a fullback and nothing else. I don't want to end up 'wasting' him. That said, the signing would excite me, I'm just a bit unsure where he fits in atm

Victoire

Juniors
Fair enough, I don't deny his talent but I just think he's a fullback and nothing else. I don't want to end up 'wasting' him. That said, the signing would excite me, I'm just a bit unsure where he fits in atm
I think he's a five-eighth isn't he? He played there in Harold Matts, but Parra want him as a fullback because they've got Dylan Brown locked in at number 6 long term. He could have an opportunity at 6 for us? Having said that it all smells like Isaac Moses milking the Eels for more money

Draginzaaar

Bench
Bit confused on the Talagi to Dragons hype if I'm honest. He looks like a deadset fullback, but we're clearly investing in Sloan there so that's not an option for Talagi here (at this stage). You don't pay 500k for Sloan to play anywhere but fullback. His output on the wing would be terrible. Is everyone willing to ignore just how awful Talagi was defending in the front line when he played centre and 6? I think he's a talent, but as a fullback. He doesn't have a spot at the back here. Some of his defence, and not only his tackling, but his actual decision making when he was in the line was abhorrent. I just don't see how he fits into the side, because he is clearly a fullback to me
He's 19, 5 games into his NRL career. Give me a break.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
If Talagi signs on - Flano will play him on the Wing lol 😜

if he signs u would guess Birdy might be seeing the writing on the wall - ie dodged a bullet as guessed that Lomax was moving on either way.

If we need to find a good solution for centre to replace Birdy and with a great possibility that this player could also be a play maker after a year or so of FG or sooner…….then Talagi is our guy.

I think from what I have seen [so limited] that Sloan is our man for FB vs Talagi.

plan B is there Nicho Hynes ie late bloomer at Melbourne and killed it at FB with halves potential ?

maybe

is there another gun emerging half at another club ?

Last edited:

Victoire

Juniors
If Talagi signs on - Flano will play him on the Wing lol 😜

if he signs u would guess Birdy might be seeing the writing on the wall - ie dodged a bullet as guessed that Lomax was moving on either way.

If we need to find a good solution for centre to replace Birdy and with a great possibility that this player could also be a play maker after a year or so of FG or sooner…….then Talagi is our guy.

I think from what I have seen [so limited] that Sloan is our man for FB vs Talagi.

plan B is there Nicho Hynes ie late bloomer at Melbourne and killed it at FB with halves potential ?

maybe

is there another gun emerging half at another club ?
I've had a (recruitment) hard-on for Jonah Pezet for a while. Like Nicho Hynes he is a talented Storm half stuck behind two Internationals on long term deals. Someone is going to entice him away on a Hynes like deal so why not us?

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
i think it would be completely irresponsible roster and cap management to pay Talagi 600K now, especially when he wouldn't be playing FB here you would imagine. The lure of playing for us would be to consistently playing first grade (which he's a chance of doing at Parra anyway). If we go anything above $1.4 mill for 3 years currently we're over paying

Clarkent

Juniors
Sometimes paying over for a potential star is a risk you have to take. Players ain't coming to struggling club for unders, why would they come to a struggling club getting the same money in a strong club. You have to take a risk like how the knights took a risk on Ponga when he was at the cowboys

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Sometimes paying over for a potential star is a risk you have to take. Players ain't coming to struggling club for unders, why would they come to a struggling club getting the same money in a strong club. You have to take a risk like how the knights took a risk on Ponga when he was at the cowboys
everyone knew Ponga would be a gun, still a risk sure, but he's comfortably a better player than Talagi