What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WT’s Pathways

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
The pathways sides should play a trial against first grade ... should give them a nice bit of confidence going into the season knowing they can put away an (at least in name) first grade side

Tiger Ted

Bench
we had Dene Halatau and then Joe Galuvso as Junior welfare officers. I’m unsure who is doing it atm but I agree having a Pacific Islander in this role is paramount.

I do think having Benji on the coaching staff is going to be a huge bonus for these things. You probably know this better than me but apparently the Roosters had all but signed Wests Boom halfback Onitoni Large. Benji then went and sat down with family at their home mapping out their pathway for him leaving them convinced to stay with the club. I have no doubts this time last year we lose the kid.
So repulsive how the roosters stockpile the most talented NRL kids.Nice to see we inconceivably got one over the thieves

So repulsive how the roosters stockpile the most talented NRL kids.Nice to see we inconceivably got one over the thieves
Not Necessarily,
Theres a young winger that was part of the Tigers Andrew Johns Cup (Tigers U16) last year that in my opinion had the most potential I HAVE EVER SCENE. His name is Joseph Vunivalu. Suliasi Vunivalus (ex Melbourne Storm current Wallaby winger) younger brother.

Really really raw in terms of the game but just a freak. He is also a winger. Started playing league last year after playing Union for years and after playing only 7 games last year (season stopped due to covid) he made the Andrew Johns team. Tigers could see his potential and he played 1 or 2 games for them. I know some of the Tigers rep coaches worked a lot with him especially Jersey Flegg coach Joe Saukuru in the off season. I watched most of his club games this year and f**k me the improvement was out of this world. Hes about 6ft 4 and solid with a very very low body % of fat. Basically he has the modern day prototype phisique for footy. Hes super fast and powerful but the best thing he gurentees you 1 hitup every set on tackle 1 or 2 before going back out on his wing, thats what the Rep coaches have taught him in such a short time.

Anyways he has the same player manager as his Brother and when the Train on squads for Wests were first announced he wasnt on them. And to be fair there were some average kids named in his position. So i did some digging and found out that apparantly the Roosters have him signed up. After bugger all league games they have got him for a couple of years. Also though the Roosters said earlier this year that he has to come and play in their District so the Coaches can work with him and get to know his style etc and form combinations with players. Apparantly he said no and said a condition of him signing with him was that he got to play the 2022 season with his mates in the Wests Comp cos he knows after that footy in the reps from now on in is not fun any more

Joseph Vunivalu. Unbelievable potential!!!!!!

Vic Mackey

Referee
This kid is the goods. Only 17 but training in the summer with the 1st grade says a lot. Hope Sheens Gives him 3-4 seasons to learn the game properly

He looks good doesn’t he. The worry about props that dominate the lower grades is that they only do it because they’re bigger than everyone else. What I like about Miller is that he has a lot of skill, he isnt just about running over kids 30kg lighter then him, I’ve seen him set up multiple tries through passing close to the line. Just hope Sheens doesn’t make the same mistakes that he does with Matt Groat and throw him in too early.

He looks good doesn’t he. The worry about props that dominate the lower grades is that they only do it because they’re bigger than everyone else. What I like about Miller is that he has a lot of skill, he isnt just about running over kids 30kg lighter then him, I’ve seen him set up multiple tries through passing close to the line. Just hope Sheens doesn’t make the same mistakes that he does with Matt Groat and throw him in too early.

you are 100% right Vic

He is the future, no need to fast track him to be the present. Props dont even mature till late 20s anyway so hes got heaps of time.

SG Ball side train 3 times a week so if i was Sheens i would get him into the 1st grade squad 1 maybe 2 days a week and glue him to Klemmers side. I spoke in a previous post about mentoring, this could happen between Klemmer and Jordan. More so with preperation leading into games.

With Jordan having 2 years eligibility in SG Ball here is how i would manage him

2023 - play the rep season with SG Ball side then go back to club U18 footy while also spending a day or 2 with the 1st grade squad training.

2024 - play the rep season with SG Ball side then be included in the Jersey Flegg squad with having 2-3 games for them from the bench

2025 - Included in the Jersey Flegg squad possibly even playing 1 or 2 games in Ron Massey team (playing against Men)

Of course this depends on him being injury free etc plus Sheens will be stepping aside and Benji taking over.
There is no need to rush him

Tigerm

First Grade
you are 100% right Vic

He is the future, no need to fast track him to be the present. Props dont even mature till late 20s anyway so hes got heaps of time.

SG Ball side train 3 times a week so if i was Sheens i would get him into the 1st grade squad 1 maybe 2 days a week and glue him to Klemmers side. I spoke in a previous post about mentoring, this could happen between Klemmer and Jordan. More so with preperation leading into games.

With Jordan having 2 years eligibility in SG Ball here is how i would manage him

2023 - play the rep season with SG Ball side then go back to club U18 footy while also spending a day or 2 with the 1st grade squad training.

2024 - play the rep season with SG Ball side then be included in the Jersey Flegg squad with having 2-3 games for them from the bench

2025 - Included in the Jersey Flegg squad possibly even playing 1 or 2 games in Ron Massey team (playing against Men)

Of course this depends on him being injury free etc plus Sheens will be stepping aside and Benji taking over.
There is no need to rush him
A good plan, but the trouble I see is, if another club sweet talks him into believing he is ready and if he signs with them, he will be in first grade in no time?

Do you know anything about him, I.e. is he a committed WT person, willing to take the long road to success or just in a hurry to be on Tele?

A good plan, but the trouble I see is, if another club sweet talks him into believing he is ready and if he signs with them, he will be in first grade in no time?

Do you know anything about him, I.e. is he a committed WT person, willing to take the long road to success or just in a hurry to be on Tele?
Of course Tiger, all the clubs will circle. More so now as he is getting a lot of write ups.

He is a local Junior starting from U7s i believe. Lives local and just finished his Schooling at Fairfield Pats. Spoke to his Dad earlier this year, he said they are happy with the way his footy is progressing. So id take it that he is happy where he is

To me this is where the NRL need to reward clubs for developing local juniors and getting them 1st grade ready. Jordan will play 1st grade, this question is when. The Tigers have plans for him so in my opinion the only reason he will leave is if there is a massive offer that he cant turn down.

He still has a lot to work on in his game and the Tigers know this.

Off topic there is another Trial game for Harold Matts, SG Ball and Tasha Gale coming up in a couple of weeks against Cronulla. He should be playing in that as the season starts 2 weeks after that.

The Rosco

Bench
Of course Tiger, all the clubs will circle. More so now as he is getting a lot of write ups.

He is a local Junior starting from U7s i believe. Lives local and just finished his Schooling at Fairfield Pats. Spoke to his Dad earlier this year, he said they are happy with the way his footy is progressing. So id take it that he is happy where he is

To me this is where the NRL need to reward clubs for developing local juniors and getting them 1st grade ready. Jordan will play 1st grade, this question is when. The Tigers have plans for him so in my opinion the only reason he will leave is if there is a massive offer that he cant turn down. . . . The Roosters want to know if he is close mates with Vunivalu jr . . . or if he likes golf . . . . or the colour blue . . . or Bondi beach

He still has a lot to work on in his game and the Tigers know this.

Off topic there is another Trial game for Harold Matts, SG Ball and Tasha Gale coming up in a couple of weeks against Cronulla. He should be playing in that as the season starts 2 weeks after that.

Happy New Year All

For those interested there is another trial this weekend for the Magpies Juniors.

Andrew Johns Cup team (U16s)
Harold Matts
Laurie Daley Cup team (U18s)
SG Ball

Are all playing at Cronulla High School this saturday.
I was keen to go and have a look but Cronulla High is terrible to watch footy. No seats, just a big field that you stand around.

But yeah i will post times later in the week if anyone wants to head out and watch what ive crapped on about in the last month lol

Vic Mackey

Referee
Happy New Year All

For those interested there is another trial this weekend for the Magpies Juniors.

Andrew Johns Cup team (U16s)
Harold Matts
Laurie Daley Cup team (U18s)
SG Ball

Are all playing at Cronulla High School this saturday.
I was keen to go and have a look but Cronulla High is terrible to watch footy. No seats, just a big field that you stand around.

But yeah i will post times later in the week if anyone wants to head out and watch what ive crapped on about in the last month lol
Are they? Do you know the times? I live in the shire and the Mrs has some stupid friends over on Saturday so might head out to watch

Are they? Do you know the times? I live in the shire and the Mrs has some stupid friends over on Saturday so might head out to watch

10.00am
Andrew Jophns Cup (U16s) Wests Tigers v Cronulla Sharks 2x 30m halves

11.15am
Harold Matts Wests Magpies v Cronulla Sharks 3x 25m halves

12.45pm
Laurie Daley Cup (U18s) Wests tgers v Cronulla Sharks 2x 20m halves

2.00pm
SG Ball Wests Magpies v Cronulla Sharks 3x 25m Halves

3.30pm
Tarsha Gale Cup Wests Tigers v Cronulla Sharks 3x 20m halves

Does anyone have the write up by the DT on the Juniors? Did it say anything worthwhile?
Nothing worthwile
Well nothing that hasnt already been written. The DT have zero knowledge of junior footy as it doesnt sell papers or get clicks. They just rewrite what has already been written and try and use their platform to highlight it as a scoop. The photo of the player from the Harold Matts team is Luke Laualiili. Younger Brother of Kit who is in SG Ball who the Tigers have big wraps on. Luke is a great young talent but there are 4 or 5 layers in that Matts team who are equal or if not better. But because Kit has got some headlines from the DT they will use Lukes photo as click bait

Latest posts