What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WT keep the emphasis on upcoming youth

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Well, it certainly backs the concept of using the clubs depth of young players. 3 x youngsters given the opportunity.

Still concerned over lack of experience to steady the ship when needed. Maybe we have to accommodate Halatau in the main 13? Lawrence, Galloway, Richards and Moltzen havent exactly shown any great leadership in the past.

Re-signed with eyes to future:

Cherrington- hooker
Hoeter- wing- centre
Liolevave- backrow

Wests Tigers re-sign young pair

The youth movement at the Wests Tigers continues to grow with the club re-signing promising duo Manaia Cherrington and Delouise Hoeter to new two-year deals on Wednesday.

Both players were named in the club's Auckland Nines squad yesterday and also played in the NRL trial win over Penrith last Saturday.

Cherrington, a hooker, was a member of Balmain's premiership-winning SG Ball side in 2012 and played all 25 games last year's Holden Cup season.

Hoeter, who can play either as a winger or centre, is another graduate from the well-renowned Keebra Park High School in Queensland.

First grade coach Mick Potter was pleased to secure the services of the talented duo for another two seasons.

"I think they are good prospects. I think Manaia has good speed and awareness around dummy-half and he is still learning and growing so there's a lot of potential there," Potter said.

"Delouise is a very good outside back who's understanding and anticipation of what is going to happen is excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing him progress.

"I'd like to think that both of them will get better throughout the season and push for the grade above them."

Both Cherrington and Hoeter will begin the season with the under-20s side before moving into the fulltime NRL squad next season.

http://www.nrl.com/wests-tigers-re-sign-young-pair/tabid/10874/newsid/76246/default.aspx

West Tigers re-sign Lamar Liolevave

Wests Tigers are pleased to confirm the re-signing of promising back-rower Lamar Liolevave until the end of the 2016 season.

The Marist Saints junior, who played Australian Schoolboys in 2013 before recently representing the Junior Kiwis in 2014 alongside Wests Tigers teammates Te Maire Martin , Manaia Cherrington and Watson Heleta, will join the full-time NRL squad in 2015.

A graduate from Keebra Park High School, Liolevave was a standout player for Wests Tigers’ NYC side in 2014, with the powerful ball runner registering 10 tries, six try-assists and 15 linebreaks on the left edge. He also averaged 22.5 tackles per game plus 109 metres per game — coming off an average of 10.7 runs per game.

Liolevave’s fine form in 2014 culminated in him being named as the NYC Holden Cup Coaches Player of the Year, with his focus now turning to consolidating on that form with a strong pre-season under new Head Coach Jason Taylor .

Read more: http://www.nospam9/nrl/wests-tigers-re-sign-lamar-liolevave-15928/#ixzz3KzDnjFR5

Last edited:

moller

Juniors
It's extremely unlikely that all of these kids, or perhaps even half, will turn out. We're playing with fire.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
It's extremely unlikely that all of these kids, or perhaps even half, will turn out. We're playing with fire.

This is my fear too. We have actually gone backwards in comparison to some teams who have purchased players either as front liners or depth. 2015 has me very concerned, maybe Taylor can see something I can't but I'd like to see a bit of solid depth in the team.

super_coach

First Grade
I remember years ago Balmain winning the u23's so the next year they went down the road of using juniors and not going into the player market. The next year the came stone motherless last.

I see a long long year ahead of us, okay we have some of the best talent in the league but without very talented experienced players surrounded them it will amount to nothing. Most of our experienced players are struggling to hold down a first grade position let alone show the way and protect the young kids

Tiger05

First Grade
Youth movement is all we have....it is an asset, but its not the whole box & dice

The thing is signing players is hit and miss. You get someone like Ellis but then you get a Blair.

Blair was considered the best backrower and possibly forward in the game. I think he is a good player but he had one really poor season with us plus he is nowhere near at that level. I remember guys stating Ellis was a dud and he killed it for us.

The problems with juniors if that if you pay overs it can stuff you for a long time unless they perform.

No easy answer for this.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
Exactly Beav - I was just about to post the same thing -

Youth policy - all warm and fuzzy....

You have the choice of either bringing through the ones you have - or choosing from all the players out there. I know which one I would rather

Example - the we are known for having decent juniors in the backs -

Canturbury is known for having decent juniors in the forwards.

You NEED to supplement whats coming through by adding externally.

If a company never hired experienced people from competitors it wouldnt last long.

Buying players isnt hit and miss if you have the culture defined, know exactly what you want and buy players that actually fit the needs.

Blair didnt tick any of these boxes - it wasnt his fault. "bad buys" is rarely the fault of the player - its the recruitment manager buying the wrong guy.

It really isnt rocket science....

super_coach

First Grade
Its all about getting the right balance, take the Penrith for example, they have about three kids in the 17 surrounded by very very experienced footballers.

I'm sure JT has a plan. Sounds like next year will be entrusted to the youth while the club balances the books. Just hope the kids don't get thrown to the wolves when it all doesn't go to plan.

dumpy

Juniors
Listening to Talkin Sports yesterday afternoon there was talk about Dale Finucane maybe being squeezed out of the playing roster at the Bulldogs. It was alleged that he had been talking to several clubs including the Wests Tigers. Finucane is a 23 year old,106kg mobile backrower who has impact when coming on, exactly what we require to help out Taupau.

Listening to Talkin Sports yesterday afternoon there was talk about Dale Finucane maybe being squeezed out of the playing roster at the Bulldogs. It was alleged that he had been talking to several clubs including the Wests Tigers. Finucane is a 23 year old,106kg mobile backrower who has impact when coming on, exactly what we require to help out Taupau.

I wouldn't be paying top dollar for him.

Fordy20

Juniors
He is a backrower and he's the type of backrower we could use too. Not flashy, but hardworking, someone in the Shaun Fensom mold.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Everyone the Bulldogs fans i've talked to have rated him very highly. Same story as Taupau, just stuck behind a outstanding forward pack.

I think if he came to Tigers he would play with something to prove and absolutely kill it. Of course the Tigers will release him from his contract as soon as other clubs start sending him offers but at least we will have a good year out of him!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
WT facebook showed a pic of Rowdy in the 7's shirt yesterday. His torso looks smaller imo.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?