What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTF Ricky Stuart to coach The Broncos next year

renouf

Juniors
I don't know that Henjak is doing that bad of a job, but for him to overrule Lockyer is a joke. Piss him off if that's the case, no player or coach should be able to overrule Lockyer.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Name ONE player who has served under him and has anything negative to say about him.

Just to make it clear: Stuart wouldn't be my first choice, but Henjak would be my last.

I can name you two clubs that have sacked him.

renouf

Juniors
Stuart was beating a dead horse at Cronulla, so you can't blame him for that. Nobody wanted to come to the club. When the Sharks actually had some decent players they went very close to winning the comp. He inherited the Roosters of course, but again he was good enough to take them to a few gf's and a premiership.

Stuart would go fine as a coach at Brisbane, he'll have plenty of talented players to coach remember, unlike at the Sharks.

AuDragon

Juniors
I acknowledge Henjak's shortcomings (and going through them would be for another thread) and the rumours about his relationship with the players would not surprise me. However, from what I can see well back from the front lines I'm still prepared to give Ivan the benefit of the doubt until the end of next year at least.

This was always going to happen to Wayne's successor and taking that into consideration I think he's done a decent job. A solid finish last year and a stronger than expected season this year that has involved more than our fair share of injuries and inexperience.

His biggest test though will be next year, when he'll have a squad that, on paper at least, will be expected to be very strong contenders for the trophy. There will be no excuses, and if the players seem to be showing a worrying lack of interest then the situation should definitely be looked at more seriously.

So I'm hoping, for now at least, that this talk of Stuart for next year is just another case of Weidler/Voss rumour-mongering.
Losing games due to judgement mistakes, rush decisions or brain farts, just like the Raiders game, is something I'm willing to accept, given the team's youth and lack of experience.

Losing games due to the coach inability to motivate a team, shuffling players around unnecessarily, effectively taking their routines away, and letting his ego rule over common sense, like the Lockyer case or other cases rumoured to have caused rifts with senior players, I'm not prepared to accept!

To me it's simply a case of a lesser evil by taking on Stuart. He'll fix our defence and motivate the players for sure.
And if Stuart doesn't work out, Locky will take over upon retirement... ;-)

renouf

Juniors
Henjak has just re-signed with the club though, unless hes on f**kall, their going to have a decent payout.

ricky stuart coached australia, just because he couldnt coach a bunch of FWITS at the sharks and the roosters, doesnt mean he cant take the broncos all the way in 2011.

hes a top bloke and a great ex player.

Henjak=FAIL

alan89

Juniors
Personally, I really feel for Henjak. I think he has done a good job given the crop of players he has had at his disposal this season. When they were at full strength, the Broncos were doing fine, winning five in a row and beating the Dragons too... Even Bennett struggled without Lockyer.

Broncs4ever

Juniors
I'm not a fan of Henjak, don't like his negative attitude and he has made some bad decisions pointed out by many in this and other threads. However he has some big shoes to fill and given the sh*t he's copping at the moment I'm hopeful that the real Ivan Henjak will, given the chance, learn from his mistakes and do the job for us next season (Ivan please start by being positive about next season). On a positive note, we did win a number of games this season and only just missed out on the finals which can be blamed on injury. However if he has upset the best captain in the NRL please disregard this post....

austyphoon

Juniors
This year and last year there has been some questionable performances from the Bronco's, they surely did have some shockers. Now I don't know if it's motivation or lack of but some weeks I just shook my head at how bad they played. Some positional changes from Henjak have been, how do you put it nicely, sh*t! Having Ben Te'o play as a forward was completely the wrong idea, what was the reasoning for that? Gillett is an awesome player but he played 72 different positions, how can you get any rhythm playing that many positions??

Henjak has been at the club in a coaching role since 94, so surely he would have the respect of the players, if he doesn't then he wouldn't have been appointed, right? I would be annoyed at the team is they chose to protest against the coach by not turning up and giving 100% in a game.

I think it would be pretty rough firing a rookie coach after only 2 years at the helm, if you take the plunge in hiring a newbie then you should stick with him for a few years. We've had players come and go and we have a VERY young team, it hasn't been easy for him.

A part of me would like to see how Stuart would coach this team but I think we should stick with Ivan, he's going to make some mistakes but hopefully he won't make them over and over. however, if the team can't play under him then he should make way.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
completely agree austyphoon. I Still think Henjak has a lot to offer, he just does things differently to the way Wayne did things, making the finals in your first year as a first grade coach is a fantastic achievement and getting within one game of the grand final shows that he knows how to coach, and then this year he had to deal with the youngest squad in the NRL and beat more experienced teams such as Canterbury and the Knights.

Granted Henjak does make some pretty poor decisions from time to time but he will learn from those mistakes, just like he will now know that he has to speak to the players more and accept that Lockyer needs to have a say.

In Ivan I Trust

screeder

Juniors
We're now hearing talk that WB is not contracted for next year. He's got his family up here and he could be tempted by our quality roster for next year.

Nathan Brown is looking for a job in Aus so the Dragons can have him:lol:

I say we drop everything and get him back. If Bennett doesn't come then Henjak gets his chance to win a premiership in 2011 or 2012.

I agree with broncs4eva sometimes Henjak is negative in attitude.

johns_reds

First Grade
If ricky stuart was installed as coach i would be totally dis-heartened, He would be the very last coach i would want at Broncos, I don't think we should be going out and sacking henjak after two seasons, everyone wrote the broncos off at the start of the season so for us to just miss the top 8 is a decent achievement.
If next year Henjak fails then give him the boot, he'll have a good squad of players and should be challenging for the title but this season was a rebuilding season so we shouldn't be too critical.

johns_reds

First Grade
haha, love broncos, i just emailed in saying how i didn't want ricky as coach, this was their response (scuttlebutt? lol):

John,

The club has never spoken to Ricky Stuart about coaching this club and has absolutely no plans to replace him.
It is all rumour and uninformed scuttlebutt.

Regards

Media manager

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
if you are going to sign a coach that your entire fan base hate you may as well sign the best and get Gould ... at least that guy knows how to coach

agreed. but gould keeps saying he'll never coach again and whilst i think they may be able to tempt him for origin he wont coach at club level again

for him to overrule Lockyer is a joke. Piss him off if that's the case, no player or coach should be able to overrule Lockyer.

i think you need to give an experienced player like lockyer the benefit of the doubt, however the coach needs to be the one making the final decisions not the players. I don't care whetehr we're talking about lockyer or johns of Thurston the coach makes the final decisions hopefully with input from the players

ricky stuart coached australia, just because he couldnt coach a bunch of FWITS at the sharks and the roosters, doesnt mean he cant take the broncos all the way in 2011.

hes a top bloke and a great ex player.

Henjak=FAIL

Paul Langmack could coach Australia. Stuarts a tool

haha, love broncos, i just emailed in saying how i didn't want ricky as coach, this was their response (scuttlebutt? lol):

I just rang them and told them i didnt want him here next year, they said they'd pass on the message

Ricky Stuart is a negative coach. watch his teams play there's no ball movement he doesnt use his attacking weapons he just tries to get his teams to bore the other teams into submission. there's two coaches in the NRL I hate one is Brian smith the other is stuart.

want to rip apart a great club? sign ricky stuart

Henjack has his issues and i've been critical of gameplans and selection choices, but i've also been that way towards bennett and other coaches i see in the league. stuart in his time at cronulla has come out and bagged the fans, he's bagged players openly, bagged management. how well do you think players respond when the coach is in the media bagging them?

DR.ZOIDBERG

Juniors
I dont think Ivan is a good coach and if its true about not letting Lockyer play when he wanted to, then he shoud be booted.

Wouldnt mind Anderson as a coach but Stuart would be fine in my books. As long as they win and play like Bronocs then I dont care whos coach.

All most of us have done in the past 2 years is bitch about Ivan, time to go me thinks

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
there's two coaches in the NRL I hate one is Brian smith the other is stuart.

All the players that play under stuart and Smith say that they love him and talk about what a great coach they are. I wouldn't mind either but i still think Ivan is the man for the job.

All most of us have done in the past 2 years is bitch about Ivan, time to go me thinks

Why is so many people calling for Ivan's head? Everybody wrote the Broncos off at the start of the year and we got to within a game of the finals with the youngest squad in the NRL why can't people accept that he is a good coach, all of these stories have just started to come out as a result of the broncos missing the finals for the first time in 18 years, relax it is a good thing, the young kids will learn from it and they will come back better than ever next year with a much stronger squad.

In Ivan I Trust.

beads6

First Grade
I think Ivan has certainly earnt a crack for 2011. The mid season recovery we made has given me faith in Ivans ability as a coach. He is still learning so next season is make or break for him IMO.