What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xbox 360 Launch date and price

Scorpio30

Bench
Xbox to hit Australia in March

By Louisa Hearn
November 22, 2005 - 5:30PM

Microsoft has revealed that the Xbox 360, its latest weapon in the gaming console wars, will hit Australian shelves at midnight on March 2.

The new unit, which was rolled out this week in North America, will cost Australian gamers either $499.95 for a "core" system or $649.95 for a unit bundled with additional features such as wireless capabilities, high-definition access and backward compatibility to current Xbox games.

The computer giant is hoping the new console will give it a competitive edge against next-generation gaming systems from Sony and Nintendo also due for release next year.

Along with the usual gaming functions, the system will include a DVD player that can also play CDs and display digital photographs.

About 200 games are in development for the Xbox platform and 30 of these are expected to be available alongside the launch in Australia.

Users wanting to play games from their old consoles on the core Xbox must buy an additional hard drive for $169.95.

Microsoft said all Xbox customers would receive a silver subscription to the online gaming service Xbox Live, for live video and voice chat, the facility to share digital pictures and music and a range of classic arcade games and puzzles. However an upgrade of the subscription is required for participation in multi-user gaming activities.

David Mclean, director of Xbox Australia and NZ, said although Australia was already the strongest national market for the original console, it was seeking to increase its share from the current 35-40 per cent to beyond 51 per cent.

He added the company hoped to avoid the availability issues widely reported in the US.

"Based on launch and production capacity we are hoping not to have any stock issues, but it is difficult to forecast demand," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/11/22/1132421656841.html

The next thing you know it will have a keyboard and be called a computer....Just bring the price down and cut the bs and give us consoles that play games FFS and leave my computer to do the other stuff.

PS Crappy about having to pay more to play the older games!

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
PS2 was launched at $750.

personally i dont mind the price, its cheaper then i thought it would be considering the americans are paying $699 for the xbox 360 plus the HD

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
The HD isnt just for older games, its also for saving games, burning music to the HD, downloading content.

Playstation normally sell there cards at like $70 lol and theres was a 1meg and a 15meg.

gaterooze

Bench
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
personally i dont mind the price, its cheaper then i thought it would be considering the americans are paying $699 for the xbox 360 plus the HD

No they're not. "Normal" retail is US$399 (AU$540) for the Premium.

US$699 is for the "Ultimate Bundle" which is the Premium console plus all this:

* Perfect Dark Zero Limited Edition
* Call of Duty 2
* Kameo: Elements of Power
* Project Gotham Racing 3
* Extra Wireless Controller
* Play & Charge Kit (for extra controller)
* Extra Rechargeable Battery Pack

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/systems/xbox360/

McLovin

Staff member
Damn backwater country!! we're always getting the short end of the stick when it comes to electronics...

gaterooze

Bench
oh my bad, lol was looking at xbox prices at like 1am lol.

Hey, because they're so understocked they're going for literally US$1,000+ each on eBay right now.

P.I.M.P

Juniors
yeh lol soz.... the core comes with a cord controller... and premium comes with a cordless... u don't get the media DVD kit with the core... i reakcon it's better just paying the extra $100

Sorry about my other post i didnt know about the march 2 :p

McLovin

Staff member
Yep, the extra $150 for a cordless control, DVD kit, 20gb hard drive and the ability to play your older xbox games doesn't seems like much...

Phoney MX said:
Are you serious? FIFA Road to World Cup 06 is X360 only? man that sucks!

Back on topic I don't see the point in releasing the "core version" no one will buy it.

yeah, i donno much details saw it on a xbox 360 site, ps3 will have the fifa 06 but not sure if its modified or updated or whatever

McLovin

Staff member
Probably just the owner bumping up the price with a few fake accounts. The trick is to look for the new members...

MysteryGirl

First Grade
They came out here at Midnight this past monday night. They sell in the US for $299 or $399 US ($544 AU). It is a pretty cool machine. The difference in price is worth it for someone like me who doesn't want to have to mess around buying something to upgrade it with and putting it in and so on.

They will be a bit cheaper here this Friday - it's the day after Thanksgiving and traditionally our cheapest shopping day of the year. I'd imagine it would go for $399 and they'll throw in a second controller or a game or both. I'll let ya know what I see.

sydraider

First Grade
Fools, microsoft are smart, get in early, before the competition comes up and blows them out of the park.
Ill wait for a ps3 thanks, from what the experts are saying from e3, it sh*ts all over the 360!

MysteryGirl

First Grade
xbox 360's sold out till mid december in the states.

thats why people are bidding like crazy for one.

That's just not true. Only true of stores that do that pre-order and hold thing for customers.

They ARE hard to get though. Stores get small shipments in. There will be MANY sold this Friday. I played one today. It really was pretty cool.

Latest posts