What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Takes two, or three, to tango.

If you know what I mean.
Of course it does but you're going out of your way to have a crack at everything. Nick is a big boy I'm sure and gives as much as he receives but it's clear he's over it as well and is trying to move on.

The rest of us shouldn't have to read the crap when we're here to talk about LFC related things.

saint.nick

Coach
Well for anyone who still visits this page to talk about Liverpool...we were lucky, but I will go against the grain and say much moreso due to Benteke's incompetence than the referee. Mane's only yellow should should have been null and void anyway as he was pretty much fouled in the box, whereas as for the handball...I understand where people are coming from re: the red, but putting myself in the ref's shoes I think he resisted the second yellow because he considered how many times players get away with doing the exact same thing, and as far as deliberate handballs go it is far more silly and foolish than cynical.

DC80

Juniors
Well for anyone who still visits this page to talk about Liverpool...we were lucky, but I will go against the grain and say much moreso due to Benteke's incompetence than the referee. Mane's only yellow should should have been null and void anyway as he was pretty much fouled in the box, whereas as for the handball...I understand where people are coming from re: the red, but putting myself in the ref's shoes I think he resisted the second yellow because he considered how many times players get away with doing the exact same thing, and as far as deliberate handballs go it is far more silly and foolish than cynical.
Benteke was never a top class forward (was gutted when we first bought him as he never suited the quick passing style of play), but he was never this bad. I think the Liverpool experience ruined him as he has been bereft of confidence since.

Was a fantastic win, made even better with Chelsea losing. The defence was creaky, especially the right side with Alexander Arnold struggling as often happens when he comes up against a quality wide player. His inexperience is being targeted by the opposition. I’d bring Clyne straight back in for the Man City game.

If we can get through this season with Champions League qualification it will be a fantastic success given we lost the main creative force in midfield to Barcelona in the middle of the season. At the time I thought it was lunacy to let Coutinho go then as I thought we would struggle to create chances in midfield and the season would collapse but it’s worked out well. The gulf between us and City is the midfield. Silva and De Bruyne (and to a lesser extent Gundogen) are in a different class to our midfield trio. Naby Keita and two more top class midfield additions, a #6 (defensive midfielder, possibly Jorginho from Napoli) and a #10 (Coutinho’s replacement, to give us more midfield creativity) and we will be much closer to City next season. Brining in a top class goalkeeper and a quality partner for Van Dijk would also be ideal.

The worrying thing about the UEFA CL QF against Man City is how well they are playing. In beating Everton 3-1 on the weekend, they did it by having 82% possession :eek: Our team is gong to have to be very good with the ball because it might be a bit hard to get it back if they lose possession.

saint.nick

Coach
The worrying thing about the UEFA CL QF against Man City is how well they are playing. In beating Everton 3-1 on the weekend, they did it by having 82% possession :eek: Our team is gong to have to be very good with the ball because it might be a bit hard to get it back if they lose possession.
But Everton are f**king useless and have nothing to play for.

We are the best pressing team in the land and if there is anything City struggle with, it is a team that goes after them with a high press

But Everton are f**king useless and have nothing to play for.

We are the best pressing team in the land and if there is anything City struggle with, it is a team that goes after them with a high press

I know Everton aren't crash hot, but setting an EPL record for possession in a game is still impressive and something that gives me pause. At our best our boys can match Man City. Thing is our side can vary from the pedestrian to the sublime at times. By comparison Man City have been very consistent.

saint.nick

Coach
I know Everton aren't crash hot, but setting an EPL record for possession in a game is still impressive and something that gives me pause. At our best our boys can match Man City. Thing is our side can vary from the pedestrian to the sublime at times. By comparison Man City have been very consistent.
Im not really worried about our consistency for such a game like this, its our biggest anfield european night in a decade, they will be up for it

Looks like a bad time to be a central defender at Liverpool right now. Joel Matip has to have surgery and has been ruled out for the rest of the season, while Joe Gomez has an ankle injury that will keep him sidelined for a up to a month. Hell even Ragnar Klavan has an injury which will keep him out of the UEFA CL match this week.

DC80

Juniors
Lovren can be decent (can be terrible also unfortunately). The calm assurance that Van Dijk brings was making him play better, until his implosion at Old Trafford where he and Alexander Arnold were responsible for the two goals.

This could be carnage against City, especially wide left if Arnold is up against Sane. If Clyne is anywhere near ready I’d have him in.

Oxlade Chamberlain needs to have a big game (if selected as I suspect he will be), and provide some creativity from midfield to the world class front three.

This game really is a bonus as realistically being in the quarters is about par for the course for this team (we would probably be ranked sixth out of the 8 remaining teams). The gulf in class in central midfield between us and the other top sides is vast. De Bruyne and Silva could take us to the cleaners if they get any time and spacs.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Lovren can be decent (can be terrible also unfortunately). The calm assurance that Van Dijk brings was making him play better, until his implosion at Old Trafford where he and Alexander Arnold were responsible for the two goals.

This could be carnage against City, especially wide left if Arnold is up against Sane. If Clyne is anywhere near ready I’d have him in.

Oxlade Chamberlain needs to have a big game (if selected as I suspect he will be), and provide some creativity from midfield to the world class front three.

This game really is a bonus as realistically being in the quarters is about par for the course for this team (we would probably be ranked sixth out of the 8 remaining teams). The gulf in class in central midfield between us and the other top sides is vast. De Bruyne and Silva could take us to the cleaners if they get any time and spacs.
Great post, agree so much with it. Our key if we’re to win is to hurry, Harrass and limit that city midfield just like we did at Anfield when we beat them. We have an industrious hard working midfield so constant pressure is what is needed.

VVD has been ok but this game he really needs to step up and lead the defence. He brings calmness but always can be pretty lax at time and KDB and Silva will hammer us is he does that.

I’d love a clean sheet more than anything in this one.

Not expecting to win tbh as our midfield is light years behind and that’s where the game will be won and lost. Surely Klopp will have them up fonitnfrom the moment a ball is kicked

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Great win... TAA great game owned Sane

Stoked we went through without conceding, I was waiting for a typical Liverpool switch off and letting a couple of goals in.

Still have to go and back it up next week because we are more than capable of still blowing it.

thorson1987

Coach
Well f**k didn't expect that. Got to watch the 1st half before I had to leave for work and nearly ended up with Sultana Bran all over me when Ox scored.

Best thing is the clean sheet. If when can jag a quick goal at Etihad I doubt City would manage to get 5 past us with this improved defence.

According to Klopp Salahs injury isn't too bad and he was taken off as a precaution.

DC80

Juniors
Great win... TAA great game owned Sane

Stoked we went through without conceding, I was waiting for a typical Liverpool switch off and letting a couple of goals in.

Still have to go and back it up next week because we are more than capable of still blowing it.
Trent was incredible. They clearly targeted him as the ball kept going towards the left side and Sane but Trent kept his position throughout and didn’t make the same errors he had done previously. Probably man of the match (Mane was excellent too as was Salah before he went off).

One goal next week kills it, so the attitude has to be attack. We attack them no way do we not score, sit back and defend there’s every chance for City to get back into it. Thankfully Klopp is not a cautious manager so he will go for it and press them high up, which is exactly what Pep’s teams hate.
Well f**k didn't expect that. Got to watch the 1st half before I had to leave for work and nearly ended up with Sultana Bran all over me when Ox scored.

Best thing is the clean sheet. If when can jag a quick goal at Etihad I doubt City would manage to get 5 past us with this improved defence.

According to Klopp Salahs injury isn't too bad and he was taken off as a precaution.
Fingers crossed for Mo. He said he felt something so we don’t yet know if it’s anything to worry about. Hopefully just a tweak and he will be back for the second game.

Latest posts