What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young takes over from Gordon

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
The job was never going outside the club, I would rather Young than Gordon.

When the coaching role was being considered last year Young abstained from voting because of Dean being considered.

It extremely hard to build the juniors when there is no pool in the area anymore..
Stanley is already the head of pathways for Dragons and has done well recently with recruitment from outside the area.
(Dates Latu Salanoa)

Lastly Young still attends all Dragons junior games and has his finger on the pulse.

Cheers to all.
Thanks for that @George Dragon .I had forgotten that Kyle Stanley was currently doing the job at the Dragons. And doing a good job apparently. I seem to recall Latu signing with the Dragons because Kyle had kept showing an interest in him and his development.

Young is as blunt as a cricket bat to the back of the head. If anything - he won’t dither trying to balance Illawarra with St George, which I feel has been the Achilles heal to our club for far too long.

I see positives in this move for these reasons. And (hoping) he can get all the stakeholders behind him.

I don’t blame any single person in the demise of our club. I’ve always felt that as a collective it’s just been a group not playing as a true team, too disjointed.

Albert played in teams that won comps. He was part of a team that won our last comp. He knows what success looks like.

For all the reasons above I’m positive about this move.

Class act Albert & I feel the Dragons will be in much better hands with a strong leader of men rather than the TV/Media owners son.
Thanks for posting Coffs…

Literally having a beer in my backyard this arvo watching that with a tear in my eye at the backend of his speech..

Many of us have debated, agonised, and vented over the dragons for many a year. Me included. But when you see the human side of people in our club - and here, a guy whose essentially dedicated his life to a club we all love… it’s hard not feel a bit of a goose for carrying on how I have at times.

Love the dragons. Always have, always will.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Thanks for posting Coffs…

Literally having a beer in my backyard this arvo watching that with a tear in my eye at the backend of his speech..

Many of us have debated. agonised, and vented over the dragons for many a year. Me included. But when you see the human side of people in our club - and here, a guy whose essentially dedicated his life to a club we all love… it’s hard not feel a bit of a goose for carrying on how I have at times.

Love the dragons. Always have, always will.
He is a legend. Youngy wouldn't be where he is today if it wasn't for his sincere belief in the club and his dedication to the game of rugby league. I wish him the best of luck and the Dragons as well.

Gareth67

First Grade
I recall seeing the man at Mascot airport in the arrivals area many a year ago . He was still a detective then and would you believe the bloke looked at me as if I was on Australia’s most wanted list - sort made me feel guilty about kicking the neighbors cat out of my yard . 😳

However I will give the man the opportunity to hopefully bring about changes that will point the Dragons into a new era of success both on and off the field .

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I don't get the idea of a centre of excellence. As far as I can tell it's just a new building with fancy offices that the hierarchy can pontificate in. I prefer Penriths concept of an Academy which at least appears to be focussed on the development of juniors.

In any case, every other club seems to have one of these so once again we are late to the party.

Trifili13

Juniors
I don't get the idea of a centre of excellence. As far as I can tell it's just a new building with fancy offices that the hierarchy can pontificate in. I prefer Penriths concept of an Academy which at least appears to be focussed on the development of juniors.

In any case, every other club seems to have one of these so once again we are late to the party.
CoE is just a buzz word(s) which you correctly say is just a fancy building(s) that houses the football operations. Costs alot of money and clubs use it to attract players. While is does play a role, I think it is over estimated and used by clubs as a selling point. I can't see how liftng say a 50kg weight and running laps around a new oval will make you a better player than someone doing the same thing in an old shed and suburban oval. I don't know if the Storm has one, but assuming it doesn't, would they be a less attractive club to play for? It's all about having the best talent scouts and then the best coaches to nurture that talent.

SBD82

Coach
Not sure if Craig is the right man for the job but lets do i bit renew our membership early more members more sponsorship. It has been tough the last few years but get behind our club and renew .My whole family are members and now my grandkids want to be members to. Dont be a fair weather supporter.
After the past 10 years, I can definitively say that there are no fair weather supporters following the dragons.

Yow

Juniors
After the past 10 years, I can definitively say that there are no fair weather supporters following the dragons.
Not having ago at you SBD82 but there have been plenty on here saying not renewing until things get better.

SBD82

Coach
Not having ago at you SBD82 but there have been plenty on here saying not renewing until things get better.
They’re still here, posting on a Dragons forum after 10 years of utter shit from our club.

If people are throwing in the towel after ten years, they’re not fair weather fans. They’ve stuck around this long, but they’re probably fed up with throwing their money at the club year after year and watching it make mistake after mistake. I can’t say I blame them.

kit66

Bench

I'm one of them and with this news, the worst I could have possibly imagined for the club, it'll likely be many more years before I feel the need to renew my membership. When I say worst news I just know that it will be topped some time next year when they announce Dean Young as coach for 2023 and beyond. It will happen.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I'm one of them and with this news, the worst I could have possibly imagined for the club, it'll likely be many more years before I feel the need to renew my membership. When I say worst news I just know that it will be topped some time next year when they announce Dean Young as coach for 2023 and beyond. It will happen.
To be fair, Craig Young is, was and always will be a St George man but ... as Dirty Harry famously observed- a man has to know his limitations. I see the role of Chairman as one where diplomacy and subtlety are key requisites in managing competing Board members and factional agendas, attracting, cultivating and keeping sponsors and members in a difficult economic environment, dealing effectively with the NRL and Governments to advance the Club's interests etc etc. As someone has already observed, Craig is as subtle and diplomatic as a knee to the nuts.

Gareth67

First Grade
To be fair, Craig Young is, was and always will be a St George man but ... as Dirty Harry famously observed- a man has to know his limitations. I see the role of Chairman as one where diplomacy and subtlety are key requisites in managing competing Board members and factional agendas, attracting, cultivating and keeping sponsors and members in a difficult economic environment, dealing effectively with the NRL and Governments to advance the Club's interests etc etc. As someone has already observed, Craig is as subtle and diplomatic as a knee to the nuts.

What ! The man is a born ambassador , with all the prerequisite skills that go with such a exalted position.

Articulate, knowledgeable and worldly . In fact I could just imagine him sitting down to dinner at one of Queen Liz’s candlelight suppers at the palace.

I do hope that they don’t use the good crystal-ware on the night , as he can be somewhat heavy handed . 🥂 🍷 🥃 🍸 🍹

Last edited: