What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young talent way to go

Cordoba has been going well but if Stringer and Vella were playing Cordoba wouldn't be in the 17. The likes of Jack and Zeb were dropped after playing poorly. Ben Smith started the year off badly, as did Timmy.

Like I've said three times now, it's simply a case of too much expected certainty based on no current results. There is undoubted potential there, but to just say we'll be ok cause these kids will fill the massive holes in our squad for next season is off the mark.

CrazyEel

Bench
I'll go with the kids coming through even if it does require some patience. They may not be superstars straight off but they won't be any worse than who they’re replacing and they still have a great core of experienced players around them. And what they do have is truckloads of enthusiasm and optimism, something that was well and truly missing for the 1st half of the season.

Anyway, what's the point of arguing it ad nauseum, that's the way it is so may as well get used to it and get behind them and see what happens

The Colonel

Immortal
Hollywood Jesus said:
Cordoba has been going well but if Stringer and Vella were playing Cordoba wouldn't be in the 17. The likes of Jack and Zeb were dropped after playing poorly. Ben Smith started the year off badly, as did Timmy.

Like I've said three times now, it's simply a case of too much expected certainty based on no current results. There is undoubted potential there, but to just say we'll be ok cause these kids will fill the massive holes in our squad for next season is off the mark.

Of course it is. Will they fill the holes? Who knows? I'd like to see us run with it though rather than keep signing experienced players ahead of them all the time....

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
fAR FROM IT MATE. i THINK hAYNE WOULD HAVE SHONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. oTHER PLAYERS THOUGH AREN'T LIKE hAYNE....

Colonel = The new Mr George. :lol:

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Colonel = The new Mr George. :lol:

Suity

Gee thanks..... too many things to do, not enough time to do them in and you want me to check the caps lock key as well. FFS! :crazy:

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Gee thanks..... too many things to do, not enough time to do them in and you want me to check the caps lock key as well. FFS! :crazy:

OK, YOU ARE FORGIVEN MR COLONEL.

SUITY

Hey, I'd prefer to run with it, too.

Thing is, with this board's form, if they don't live up to these expectations they will be torn down and trashed by people left, right and centre. That is, unless Hagan is used as a scapegoat or some other unfortunate individual (Finch, perhaps?) is picked.

I'm just making myself clear now before it all goes down. Is there potential? Yes, loads of it. Does this mean anything? Absolutely not. I can't wait to see these kids turn into great footballers, but it hasn't happened yet so I'm not crowing about it and I'm not expecting it to happen. Just hoping.

fish eel

Immortal
TBH, I'm quite excited by the prospect of backing our kids...whether it be by plan or circumstances forced upon us.

We've bought up big and not won a comp, so what is there to lose?

Some will say we tried backing our young players in the late 80s and 90s and it didnt work.

Circumstances are different. Our system is arguably much better than it was. And we have players like Hindmarsh and Tahu to help a kids transition in the top grade.

Plus we have a better chance of keeping those kids because we have such a strongly run Club that can field a competitive team.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm also quite excited about the prospect of throwing these kids in the deep end next year because i know in my heart they can handle the step up, however i would feel more comfotable if some of those were exposed to Firstgrade footy this year, I know that might be difficult especially with the sort of form the side is showing but if there's one thing I would like JT to do by the end of the year if possible and that is give young Blake a run ahead of Jeremy..that may be asking too much though.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Apart from those two the youngins that have had a go haven't had significant time to make an impact......

I find it a bit rich that more experienced players have a few average games and the call is to dump them. How much time do they need to make an impact? If they are trully ready for first grade then after 3-4 games they should get the hang of it. The problem is that the younger players are talked up way too much in some instances. Sure Parramatta has a great tradition in the lower grades but there is no way that over 50% of the players will be superstars.

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
I'm also quite excited about the prospect of throwing these kids in the deep end next year because i know in my heart they can handle the step up, however i would feel more comfotable if some of those were exposed to Firstgrade footy this year, I know that might be difficult especially with the sort of form the side is showing but if there's one thing I would like JT to do by the end of the year if possible and that is give young Blake a run ahead of Jeremy..that may be asking too much though.

I'd also like to see Inu given a go. I couldn't believe it when, against Newcastle, Ben Smith was brought straight back into the side after a 12 week layoff, and then spent a lot of the match playing on the wing with Grothe in the centres. I mean WTF???

It would not have hurt Benny to spend a week or two in Prems gaining some match fitness. Despite some strong defence, he was virtually a passenger for most of the game. FFS, it was the perfect opportunity to give Kris a run at the top level, but once again, a junior was denied.

Suity

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
eelavation said:

Couldn't agree more. As admirable a job that Jeremy has done he hasn't exactly set the world on fire so we are not really risking much if Blake gets a run in place of Jemery. There is also the fact that Blake will be at he club next year and Jeremy won't. IMO Blake getting a run is a win for all parties. Blake is happy, the club is happy that he gets experience and the fans are happy to see the future of the club

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
I'd also like to see Inu given a go. I couldn't believe it when, against Newcastle, Ben Smith was brought straight back into the side after a 12 week layoff, and then spent a lot of the match playing on the wing with Grothe in the centres. I mean WTF???

It would not have hurt Benny to spend a week or two in Prems gaining some match fitness. Despite some strong defence, he was virtually a passenger for most of the game. FFS, it was the perfect opportunity to give Kris a run at the top level, but once again, a junior was denied.

Suity

wel that's one thing we won't need to worry about next year, they'll all get a go ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Couldn't agree more. As admirable a job that Jeremy has done he hasn't exactly set the world on fire so we are not really risking much if Blake gets a run in place of Jemery. There is also the fact that Blake will be at he club next year and Jeremy won't. IMO Blake getting a run is a win for all parties. Blake is happy, the club is happy that he gets experience and the fans are happy to see the future of the club

the problem, as stated on several occasions is that JT isn't concerned about next year..

yy_cheng

Coach
I too would like to see Green given a shot.

We'll always have PJ to slot in if he fails horribly during the game.

In the last match, Morris and Pig was doing alot of the kicking instead of Jeremy. Actually, he wasn't in the game that much. He was also on the bench.

What's the difference with trying Green since Smith was a passenger throughout that game?

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
eelavation said:
the problem, as stated on several occasions is that JT isn't concerned about next year..

Yes but my point was that we won't be risking anything for this season and maybe actually helping our season. Blake will actually probably be better for the team as Jeremy has not really done anything especailly in terms of creativity (which should be ajob of the halfback). The other advantages for next year I mentioned are a by-product.

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Yes but my point was that we won't be risking anything for this season and maybe actually helping our season. Blake will actually probably be better for the team as Jeremy has not really done anything especailly in terms of creativity (which should be ajob of the halfback). The other advantages for next year I mentioned are a by-product.

yep, it's just about the only thing I disagree with JT on.

Latest posts