What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your call on Maitua try?

Hellsy

Immortal
Seeing it again today a few times, it does seem that Morris lost his grip on Maitua and he was probably entitled to score the try. But the video was not fully conclusive so it is possible that Morris held on and it was not caught on tape. Advantage does go to the attacking team tho.....

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Advantage hasn't been going to the attacking team though, that rule is ignored by most video referees and used by one or two. Consistency needs improvement from video refs, and they really need to sit down and figure out exactly what is a double movement.

Stagger eel

Staff member
thos of you who were with me last night would agree that I acted like a "pork chop" after the try was scored, I was adament at the time that the penelty should of been given, however looking at the divided opinions I will now accept the umpires decision to allow the 4 pointer.

It's nice to see some of us can tell it how it is without being blinded by loyalty, I'm sure other club supporters could take a similar stance.

Hellsy

Immortal
I couldn't agree more ParraDude Jay!
I just think that we got the video ref who does still rule on advantages.....
It Sucks, I know, believe me I know

strider

Post Whore
I thought his momentum had sufficiently stopped while morris was still in contact with him....but hey it was really a 50/50 one.

All I can say is, I am willing to make a large bet that had it been Parra scoring it the result would have been "NO TRY - Penalty" ...we don't get any love from the video refs.

Suitman

Post Whore
Funny thing is, is that all you people saying it was a no try would have been saying it was a try if it had have been Parramatta scoring it - ie. Perenara.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
Suitman said:
Funny thing is, is that all you people saying it was a no try would have been saying it was a try if it had have been Parramatta scoring it - ie. Perenara.

Suity

Good call.

It was a try, and deservedly so. The players fell off the tackle and he was free to keep going.

strider

Post Whore
Suitman said:

Suity

you are probably right......tho the perenara try was a very different situation.

Did anyone see the try to the tigers lock (fulton) on sunday?...tackled around the legs, arm with ball hits the ground but still moving, flips on back in tackle, reaches out backwards over head ..... TRY!!! ....what the?

Eelementary

Post Whore
IMO, Perenara's try and Maitua's try were very different.

Perenara had a lot of forward momentum.

Maitua was on the floor and jumped up and forward.

I just feel that Morris tackled him, held onto him, let go to get back into the defensive line and Maitua took his chances - although the arm that was carrying the ball hit the deck whilst Morris was clinging onto his leg.

Macca_

Coach
If it had been the other way I'd be saying Try. Happy to have it given against although the Perenara one should have been given vs the Sharks aswell.

Macca_

bazza

Immortal
In normal speed it looked like a fair try.
When it was slowed down in replay it looked like it "technically" could have been a no try. I think Morris fell off a nano-second before the tackle would have been complete.
It's one of those ones that I can't help feel would have been "No Try" if it was Parra.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
fair try

it has nothing to do with Peranara's try

he was robbed, but that doesn't mean that this wasn't a try

The pommie git ref was standing right there. He had to make the call, not go to the video ref. If he had or was going to call held, he should have ruled on it himself - therefore making a double movement. IMO the video ref had no choice but to award a try. Fair enough.

Latest posts