What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your five most underrated players of the NRL era (1998-2018)

Rod Silva - criminally underrated. Got us to the 1998 grand final
Ian Hindmarsh - lived in the shadow of Nathan but was solid as they come
Mark O’Neill - tough as teak, never gave up and stopped many a try
Blake Green - this guy is 5x as good as he is given credit for
Jarrod Croker - in any other team he would’ve played 20 origins by now

mongoose

Coach
Croker is underrated in attack, I don't think he's origin standard but he one of the best players in the comp at chasing kicks.

Jamie Lyon is underrated in that he's one of the greatest centres to ever play the game. I think most people just say he was good and leave it at that.

Andrew Ryan, Pat Richards, Mitch Aubusson, Alex Johnston, Luke Keary

grouch

First Grade
Albert Torrens. Talented centre during a less-than golden era for the Eagles. Played 1 game at halfback for the Dragons in 2005!

Bronco18

Juniors
Jamie Lyon is underrated in that he's one of the greatest centres to ever play the game. I think most people just say he was good and leave it at that.

What will always count against him is that he didn’t test himself in Origin against Hodges/Inglis

Vic Mackey

Referee

IMO (and as a Tigers fan) Pat Richards was always OVER rated. I realise he spent the majority of his career in the ESL however but for his time here I thought he was mainly average. People remember the fend in the GF and his incredible boot but forget that the reason he was going to Wigan after the GF was because the Tigers told him mid season he wasnt wanted for the following year.

When he came back in 14/15 he was downright terrible

firechild

First Grade
What will always count against him is that he didn’t test himself in Origin against Hodges/Inglis
Lyon played 10 origins between 2002-2010. Hodges played for QLD between 2002-2015. I think you'll find they played most of those 10 against each other. However they both played on the right side so they weren't really opposing each other directly.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Croker is underrated in attack, I don't think he's origin standard but he one of the best players in the comp at chasing kicks.

Croker is horrendous in defence. I'd love to see him in origin because QLD would carve him up.

newyboy

Juniors
Brian Carney (Newcastle Knights). He is an International, but i never here him rated. I think he was outstanding and an absolute character.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Matt Bowen. I can only imagine the hype in the Daily Telegraph if he played for a Sydney team....

Mango did things on a football field that I've never seen before and won't see again. A pleasure to have seen him live so many times. Particularly before he injured his knees

Matt Bowen. I can only imagine the hype in the Daily Telegraph if he played for a Sydney team....

Mango did things on a football field that I've never seen before and won't see again. A pleasure to have seen him live so many times. Particularly before he injured his knees

Mango only lived once and he is still alive.