What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Least Liked Players

ALSGI

Bench
This is not going to be popular.

One of my my least liked players of all time is Ben Creagh.

Fire away ladies and gents.
That’s funny.

I liked him mostly, he did some truly amazing stuff over the years, on and off the field.

As an ex Soldier I just can’t get past the thought of having to rely on him having my back when the shit hit the fan.

I reckon he was a good footballer and a good bloke. Never thought he was a Captain. He’s certainly not anywhere near my least liked players, but yeah I know what you’re saying.

ouryears

Bench
This is not going to be popular.

One of my my least liked players of all time is Ben Creagh.

Fire away ladies and gents.
Well I wanted to say that but thought I would be hung out to dry and die.

But yeah, I didn't like Benny either.

Just struck me as a bit like Sharon Woods.

I hated how he slowed down and sort of leaned into the tackle, I mean even if he got through he would have fallen over.

Never saw a tough side from Benny.

Had some skills, but I still put him in the same bracket as Sowie....a bit soft.

ouryears

Bench
Yes Sammy , if only , if only . Still have bad memories about that particular play by Mundine - why oh why did he not pass the ball to the waiting arms of his support ?
But guys, we scored again within 5 mins of that.

Do you really think we would have scored twice?

Had choc scored lots of things may have changed.

But I don't think we would have scored that next try within 5 mins of the choc missed one.

So it sort of cancels out doesn't it?

ouryears

Bench
Gone 6 inches lower and put him on his back. (Sounds like a Thai Massage Parlour)
Difficult if not impossible I think Coffs, Jamie was racing over from 20 mts away and basically just lunged towards the purple cheater as best he could.

The purple cheater dived low to score and fell about 1 metre low into the tackle side on.

Jamie wasn't even there, he just lunged from a distance.

Saints had a compressed defence and the whole side was open.

Jamie I think did a great job even getting there.

Where was the fullback?

Old Timer

Coach
But guys, we scored again within 5 mins of that.

Do you really think we would have scored twice?

Had choc scored lots of things may have changed.

But I don't think we would have scored that next try within 5 mins of the choc missed one.

So it sort of cancels out doesn't it?
No I don't think it does.
It was a momentum killer and instead of being euphoric about a great team try it was more like "you dumb f**king show pony why did you do that".
Yes we did score a little later but the memory of a hog f**king up a try still burned bright in their brains.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Jamie Ainscough in the last 4 minutes of the 1999 GF a dumb shit play.
I knew Ainscough when I was 13 and 14. One of my close mates was playing Harold Mathews and Ainscough was one of his club and Harold Mathews team mates. We used to go to beaches on the train and or Manly Ferry, with a group of us. There were a few others who were playing Harold Mathews too. I remember asking him to recommend a movie to me one day on the train coming back from the South Coast. He recommended Trading Places, with Eddie Murphy in it. Ainscough wasn't that tall back then, but he was fast.

Slackboy72

Coach
Justin Hodges - Grub
Terry Lamb - Grub
The entire Melbourne Storm from 2005 - 2010 except Billy Slater - Double contract signing scum cheats
Billy Slater - Grub
Warea Hargreaves - Yeah, yeah we get it, you're dad was in the army. You're still a cheap shot merchant Grub.
Dylan Napa - Cheap shot merchant grub.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Jamie Ainscough in the last 4 minutes of the 1999 GF a dumb shit play.
I still can't remember any other penalty tries ever being awarded for a high tackle before or after the 99 grand final. I was at the game and I was shattered. I remember as I was boarding the train after the game, someone looked at me and could probably see how shattered I was and he said to me " Mate, that was harsh". Then a bit later we were both standing up on the top deck of the train (it was packed) and I recognised who it was. I said to him with a loud voice. "Is that Kenny McInnes"? (who used to play for Wests, he had a brother Kevin who played for Wests too) He looked at me and put his index finger up against his mouth to indicate shoosh, be quite. I don't think he wanted the attention. Then I said something to him like, "Mate you were a good player, but I don't think you reached your potential". Then I said to him, "Do you agree with Mundine mouthing off like he does or do you think he should just shut up and play football"? he said "No comment". Then numerous other people on the train joined in the conversation. I remember one passenger saying "Barrett's The Man" and I agreed with him.

I was a massive Mundine fan early on. I had heard of him playing for Saints SG ball team. I was on the train going to a game one day and there was a mate who I played school boy footy with, Colin Sukuru (who later played a several games for us, the commentators called him Sukuru The Guru) with his younger brother on the train too. His younger brother was playing for Manly's SG Ball team. I asked him if Mundine was any good and what position he played. He told me that Mundine was good and played centre, but that we also had another centre, last name Roberts who was just as good, maybe even better. I said can Mundine play 5/8? I followed him closely as he entered first grade and had big wraps on him. I wanted him to play 5/8. His 1996 form at centre was great.

I was spewing when Mundine went to Brisbane. Then when he said he was coming back to Sydney and came out with his famous Show me the money quote, One of my mates said to me that he might not come back to Saints. I said, "He will come back to us". "At Brisbane he wasn't a star, he was just another player, but at Saints, he's The Man". I also said that he would either be the best 5/8 or best player in the game. The next day coincidentally, Mundine signed with us and said "At Brisbane, they didn't treat me like royalty, but at Saints, I am The Man", and The Man nickname was born. lol Mundine also said that Laurie Daley was running on old legs and that he would the best 5/8 in the game. I felt like a prophet. lol From that moment on he turned people against him. But I was telling fans that he would be the best 5/8 in the game. But by the time of the 99 grand final, he had even turned me off him. I thought he was selfish. I thought he was not letting Barrett play the game he should have and was cutting him out. I recall him saying that when he calls for the ball, he must receive the ball. I recall him making a bet with Blacklock that he would score more tries than him. It is a wingers job to score tries, and a 5/8's job to set them up. If Mundine could have let Barrett run the show, Barrett would have made Mundine look even better. They could have been the best half, 5/8 combination since Sterlo and Kenny. I also thought that Mundine should have just shut up and played footy. There were a few other things that turned me off him too. I went from being his biggest fan to wanting him gone by 2000.

ouryears

Bench
I still can't remember any other penalty tries ever being awarded for a high tackle before or after the 99 grand final. I was at the game and I was shattered. I remember as I was boarding the train after the game, someone looked at me and could probably see how shattered I was and he said to me " Mate, that was harsh". Then a bit later we were both standing up on the top deck of the train (it was packed) and I recognised who it was. I said to him with a loud voice. "Is that Kenny McInnes"? (who used to play for Wests, he had a brother Kevin who played for Wests too) He looked at me and put his index finger up against his mouth to indicate shoosh, be quite. I don't think he wanted the attention. Then I said something to him like, "Mate you were a good player, but I don't think you reached your potential". Then I said to him, "Do you agree with Mundine mouthing off like he does or do you think he should just shut up and play football"? he said "No comment". Then numerous other people on the train joined in the conversation. I remember one passenger saying "Barrett's The Man" and I agreed with him.

I was a massive Mundine fan early on. I had heard of him playing for Saints SG ball team. I was on the train going to a game one day and there was a mate who I played school boy footy with, Colin Sukuru (who later played a several games for us, the commentators called him Sukuru The Guru) with his younger brother on the train too. His younger brother was playing for Manly's SG Ball team. I asked him if Mundine was any good and what position he played. He told me that Mundine was good and played centre, but that we also had another centre, last name Roberts who was just as good, maybe even better. I said can Mundine play 5/8? I followed him closely as he entered first grade and had big wraps on him. I wanted him to play 5/8. His 1996 form at centre was great.

I was spewing when Mundine went to Brisbane. Then when he said he was coming back to Sydney and came out with his famous Show me the money quote, One of my mates said to me that he might not come back to Saints. I said, "He will come back to us". "At Brisbane he wasn't a star, he was just another player, but at Saints, he's The Man". I also said that he would either be the best 5/8 or best player in the game. The next day coincidentally, Mundine signed with us and said "At Brisbane, they didn't treat me like royalty, but at Saints, I am The Man", and The Man nickname was born. lol Mundine also said that Laurie Daley was running on old legs and that he would the best 5/8 in the game. I felt like a prophet. lol From that moment on he turned people against him. But I was telling fans that he would be the best 5/8 in the game. But by the time of the 99 grand final, he had even turned me off him. I thought he was selfish. I thought he was not letting Barrett play the game he should have and was cutting him out. I recall him saying that when he calls for the ball, he must receive the ball. I recall him making a bet with Blacklock that he would score more tries than him. It is a wingers job to score tries, and a 5/8's job to set them up. If Mundine could have let Barrett run the show, Barrett would have made Mundine look even better. They could have been the best half, 5/8 combination since Sterlo and Kenny. I also thought that Mundine should have just shut up and played footy. There were a few other things that turned me off him too. I went from being his biggest fan to wanting him gone by 2000.
Great story Frank, I was at the prelim final vs Sharks, behind at half time by about 4.

Second half Mundine tore them open time and again to run away with the game, Barrett played well too.

Grand final I thought we were so much better than Storm it felt like it was 30-4 not 18-4.

When Storm scored twice to make it 18-14 with about 6 minutes to go..... I simply couldn't take the stress any more .....and left and walked around the block.

After 10 mins i couldnt take it any more, the anxiety

So i walked into a pub and saw the looks on people's faces 15 mts away and my heart sunk.

I was devastated.

Truly we should have won that game by 20

We were a class above.

We just needed a half to control the final 15 mins of that game and close it out.

It still sits hard with me today, I still get upset about it.

We simply should have won that game easily.

Last edited: