What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your new recruit!

gregstar

Referee
you'd better hope he pulls his head in & concentrates on footy instead of this crap.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/when-a-boil-comes-to-a-nasty-

When a boil comes to a nasty head, you lance it
By Roy Masters
November 26, 2005

WHEN Sydney Kings coach Brian Goorjian concluded his address to St George Illawarra during this year's NRL finals campaign, he immediately asked the Dragons' coaching staff: "Who's the redhead?"

Goorjian was referring to second-rower Lance Thompson, who was subsequently released by the club with a year remaining on his contract. Thompson's body language annoyed the basketball coach, whose team has won the past three NBL titles.

While Goorjian spoke of the team ethos, sacrificing individual egos for the collective good, leadership and the pressure of finals, Thompson was playing the role of dickhead. He shuffled in his seat, loudly crunched a yoghurt container, anything to convey the message that he wasn't paying attention.

The meeting was at a Randwick hotel in the lead-up to the Dragons' match against Wests Tigers. Thompson's performance in that losing final was ordinary. He didn't break the line, nor hurt anyone in defence.

His disrespectful attitude has also been evident to Ray McLean, a leadership coach St George Illawarra hired to instill teamwork.

In Thompson's many barbs at the Dragons' coaching staff and management, he has promoted himself as a self-sacrificing local junior who believes the club is everything.

His recent declaration, "I'm a professional", doesn't sit well with his treatment of others. Watch him before a game and he carries a white towel to the field, dabs his face and then casts it aside, leaving someone to pick it up.

He complained to Nathan Brown after the coach did not name him when quoted in a newspaper promoting some Dragons as potential Kangaroos.

In the 2004 pre-season, he reported for a training session drunk, and was told by the coach and captain to leave. An hour or so later, when the team adjourned to Carss Park in Cronulla, he turned up again, wielding a bottle of spirits in front of young children.

At any time in the club's history, except the present, that has been an offence for which there is only one penalty - instant dismissal.

During a visit to Wagga last weekend by Men of League, a past players' association, I asked former St George captain-coach Ian Walsh how he would have responded to a player flouting the rule breach by brandishing a bottle. Walsh simply looked towards the door and said, "Gone".

Locked in St George folklore is the story of halfback Billy Smith misbehaving on a visit to the Minchinbury vineyard of new sponsor Penfolds. Billy drove the team bus to a secluded area, jumped in a pond and reported to the Penfolds lunch celebrating the 1977 premiership dripping wet, telling shocked officials that he'd just drowned the bus.

While Billy was eventually sacked as the club's cellarman after the events of that day by managers Laurie Doust and Danny Robinson, it's not well known that he arrived at training intoxicated halfway through the previous season and his contract was terminated.

Doust, who died last month, is the father of Peter Doust, the Dragons' chief executive.

In the same way that Laurie gave Smith multiple chances, Peter excused Thompson his many transgressions. The one significant difference is Peter allowed Thompson to remain a Dragon after reporting to training drunk, while Smith's days as a player were over immediately.

As a former St George coach, I once asked Doust jnr why he allowed Thompson to stay when he had been so disrespectful to teammates.

"I was new to the club and he had a strong power base," Doust told me.

Even former captain Craig Young, an ex-detective, couldn't penetrate Thompson's self-obsessed psyche when Thompson walked out of a club function at Sydney Town Hall last month. Young tracked him to a city hotel but says: "I couldn't reason with him. He kept talking about 'my fans'.

"Nobody owns fans."

In between the Goorjian talk and the town hall walkout was a bus trip to Aussie Stadium to play Wests Tigers. The Dragons allege Thompson sent two text messages to teammate Justin Poore on the trip, one accusing him of being soft and the second threatening him when Poore turned around in his seat and looked in Thompson's direction.

In Thursday's Herald, Thompson is quoted as saying: "I didn't send any text message to Justin Poore, as I've been accused by the club of doing."

With permission and Telstra's technology, text messages can be retrieved. Given Thompson's pathological obsession with himself, it's questionable whether his career will be as easily retrieved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i hope you have strong people at your club.

shadowboxer

First Grade
i hope you have strong people at your club.

I guess as strong as yours if youve got old man masters fighting your battles. Barry and doust sleep in the same bed, not straight either..........

gregstar

Referee
it's clever for the club to use masters in response to the "evil" rot thommo came up with during the week.

thommo would have been better served in keeping his mouth closed & getting on with his career. if he hasn't yet signed with the sharks, i'll bet they're plenty nervous about the baggage he's bringing.

Generalzod

Immortal
Goorjian was referring to second-rower Lance Thompson, who was subsequently released by the club with a year remaining on his contract. Thompson's body language annoyed the basketball coach

So what makes Goorjian an expert on Body language, wonder why nobody goes to any Basketball games...

Special K

Coach
Yes well the dragons were always going to come out and say nice things about Lance...

One year deal - who cares if he is a merkin. We lost Nuts and we need a old head in the pack now.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I believe in God and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

The greatest trick of the Devil was proving he doesn't exist. Great movie!

thommo would have been better served in keeping his mouth closed & getting on with his career. if he hasn't yet signed with the sharks, i'll bet they're plenty nervous about the baggage he's bringing.

I agree 100%

The Popper

Bench
Constant adulation can do strange things to some. Just look at some of the weirdos we have as pop/rock stars and film stars. Many years ago, when the Roman Generals had their triumphs through Rome, they had a slave on board the chariot with them. The slave kept repeating in their ear: `Remember, you are only human'.
If Masters story is true it sounds like a big head. Get rid of that and I'd say Thompson would be an asset to our club. The kick in the guts he got could be just the tonic that was needed.

sharkadelic

Juniors
Maybe Lance should just claim he has ADD. That works for some internationals who behave stupidly...

MightySharks

Bench
Didn't take Dragons fans to turn on a club legend! Fugg I hate the Dragons.
Welcome Lance, the Sharks fans will appreciate you!

maxpower3000

Juniors
Nobody needs reminding about what type of scum thomo is, and as a Sharks fan I will still hate the prick as much as I did when he played for the merger, however, we need some mungrell in our side and hopefully he can send some text messages to some of the soft c^cks in our side like Simmons and Fire them up!!!

coolumsharkie

Referee
maxpower3000 said:
Nobody needs reminding about what type of scum thomo is, and as a Sharks fan I will still hate the prick as much as I did when he played for the merger, however, we need some mungrell in our side and hopefully he can send some text messages to some of the soft c^cks in our side like Simmons and Fire them up!!!

:lol: Now thats what i'm talking about!

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Choc walked out on them twice displaying great disrespect in the process and they still came close to falling for his 'return to league' crap just a few months ago before realising he was just out for cheap publicity.

Masters should also delve into the great Chook Rapers escapades. Even he would be shocked. Why single out Billy Smith ya moron? Everyone knows he was often spurred on by his team-mates including the immotal chook and Langlands. Gees the stories about 'white boots'! All this from the bloke who coached wests and saints in the 70s. What a joke.

Masters and the Doust family go back a long way. Don't be fooled by their crap.

Thomo.

First Grade
maxpower3000 said:

:lol: Hope it works

Frenzy.

Immortal
sharkadelic said:
Maybe Lance should just claim he has ADD. That works for some internationals who behave stupidly...

I think he does have ADD

After Dragon Depression.

:)

carinashark

First Grade
Jeez Masters has a short memory! Dindnt he coach Wests or would he rather forget?What aout the ritual sacrifice of chickens and face slapping with raw meat?

Quigs

Immortal
carinashark said:
Jeez Masters has a short memory! Dindnt he coach Wests or would he rather forget?What aout the ritual sacrifice of chickens and face slapping with raw meat?

That segment appeared on Sixty Minutes - so I just rest my case. What did we read, the 60 minute sensationalization squad filmed for six weeks, segment went for something like 7 minutes or whatever and most of that was on the dressing room stoush ......... you work it out my learned friend.

Cheers
Quigs

Quigs

Immortal
maxpower3000 said:

I didn't want Lance Boyle here either, I wanted Nutley. it would be okay if anyone could fire up our mob. But you got to have something that is combustable to fire up. But without rudders, front rowers, intelligence, off field planning, on field match plans, coaching skills, communication, team harmony, direction - the answer is simple,
"we aint going nowhere"

And I know Lance can run around in circles too. so if we can only teach him to point downfield like some of the other clowns do all game then he should fit in pretty well.

I just hope our 307 new Kiwi - Samoan - Adventures in Paradise (threw that one in Cap'n Frenzy - that Adam Troy what a top show) can produce a Benji or a couple of superstars then that will be great.

I'd like to see what would of happen to Benji if he was wearing the black white and blue - probably played with newtown because he couldn't follow instructions - instructions - what instructions. aka (gameplan)

Yeah I see an 8th finish this year --- maybe being a little generous. But 8th would be great, because .... (pause - -- wait for it ) we are all used to it. "we made the semi finals"

Cheers
Quigs

Latest posts