What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NRL controversial take

mongoose

Coach
This is a large part of why we don’t have talent for more than 12 teams.

Not saying there aren't plenty of really skilful kids out there, many of whom have potential to play first grade. There absolutely are. But they are not being nurtured, there aren't the pathways to bring them through in the numbers needed to support a 20 team comp and a strong SuperLeague.
my hot take is that the majority of positions in League don't require much talent. In fact a lot of current players who are not spine players have shocking ball skills, they can't pass properly and look awkward when they try and pass the ball. Some spine players can barely even pass a football properly (cough tom starling cough).

nick87

Coach
Playing at or charging down a kick shouldnt result in 6 again unless it's actually knocked on.
If you cant get a clean kick away, or through the line because someone blocked it or charged it down with their body/legs, too bad, so sad, be better next time and get it away cleanly

sheepbender

Juniors
NRL360 is actually a pretty decent watch most of the time.
You can dislike individuals on it, and some of the carry on here n there, but I've never understood the hate it gets.

You can dislike individuals on it, and some of the carry on here n there, but I've never understood the hate it gets.
I think it just fits into the ‘love to hate’ category because of the personalities. Definitely some polarising figures there. Don’t know why they put Gordie back in to co-anchor with Braith BTW. Thought Graham was very good in the role.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think it's good for the game in that it creates hype and controversy, which gains reaction and ultimately exposure for the game.

But it's bloody hard to watch stupid old f**kers talk over each other, a lot of the time. That's my issue, none of them listen to each other. They wait for small gaps in speaking to crowbar their own opinions in, then it becomes a shouting match

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Playing at or charging down a kick shouldnt result in 6 again unless it's actually knocked on.
If you cant get a clean kick away, or through the line because someone blocked it or charged it down with their body/legs, too bad, so sad, be better next time and get it away cleanly
I bloody like this one. Seems like a lot of six agains are shit kicks at the line that happen to hit someone who really has no chance of getting out of the way, and teams are reticent to charge general field kicks because they don't want to give away repeat sets. But really, if your kick is charged that's a indictment on the kicker and the lack of space they created

1. Get rid of golden point for all but finals games.

2. Origin should be played at the end of the season.

3. The Grand Final should be an afternoon kick off.

4. The Bunker should be given the right to rule on forward passes.

5. Stop trying to move Sydney/Queensland clubs for the ultimate exercise in futility of trying to promote the game in AFL States.

Change my mind.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
I think it's good for the game in that it creates hype and controversy, which gains reaction and ultimately exposure for the game.

But it's bloody hard to watch stupid old f**kers talk over each other, a lot of the time. That's my issue, none of them listen to each other. They wait for small gaps in speaking to crowbar their own opinions in, then it becomes a shouting match
My partner got her first exposure to Slothfield the other day (I don't watch NRL360, just catch some highlights here and there) and she was amazed that he had a job on tv that wasn't a drunk extra on a show like Shameless.

siv

First Grade
I bloody like this one. Seems like a lot of six agains are shit kicks at the line that happen to hit someone who really has no chance of getting out of the way, and teams are reticent to charge general field kicks because they don't want to give away repeat sets. But really, if your kick is charged that's a indictment on the kicker and the lack of space they created
It used to be a kick on the way up that hits a opposition player was a charge down, and was not 6 again

Even today its not 6 again if it is kicked into a player who doesnt play at it

siv

First Grade
The Bunker should be given the right to rule on forward passes
This can only work if you have a ball tracking process that allows you to track ball forward velocity in relationship to the passers forward velocity when he passed it.

You cannot use the lines on the footy field, as every situation is different.

Except for dummy half passes

Camera angles and stop motion replays without a snicko style projection are prone to error as you focus on the lines on the footy field

Plus which pass do you rule on there will be lots in a set if six

So it needs to be real time on the screen eg green(pass is good) amber(flat or withon % error) red light(> x% error ie forward)

firechild

First Grade
This can only work if you have a ball tracking process that allows you to track ball forward velocity in relationship to the passers forward velocity when he passed it.

You cannot use the lines on the footy field, as every situation is different.

Except for dummy half passes

Camera angles and stop motion replays without a snicko style projection are prone to error as you focus on the lines on the footy field

Plus which pass do you rule on there will be lots in a set if six

So it needs to be real time on the screen eg green(pass is good) amber(flat or withon % error) red light(> x% error ie forward)
Nah, you're overcomplicating it. People aren't so concerned about the close ones (unless they believe it cost their team a win), it's the ones even your dog saw that it was forward. We have the process in place, ref makes a call, unless there is sufficient evidence to overturn it, the refs call remains. The fact the video ref can't make a call on a ball that goes 4m forward is ridiculous.

Nah, you're overcomplicating it. People aren't so concerned about the close ones (unless they believe it cost their team a win), it's the ones even your dog saw that it was forward. We have the process in place, ref makes a call, unless there is sufficient evidence to overturn it, the refs call remains. The fact the video ref can't make a call on a ball that goes 4m forward is ridiculous.

One of the reasons is that, it used to be that the camera lens was known to slightly distort the angle the ball is perceived to travel when itc loser to the edge of the lens. As TV camera lens used to be concave in shape, and not flat, it would distort and pass which was capture on the edge of the camera's lens. I know this as I had a friend who was an NRL Touch Judge and he explained it all to me as that's how it had been explained to them by the powers that be.

Also the "ones even your dog saw that it was forward" was the similar basis for the bunker reviewing tries, and look at the pot luck it can become now.

Munky

Coach
They can put a drone above the field.

Perfect bird's eye view should make tracking pretty easy.

Isn't there a blimp shot of a try in 99GF that looked forward on the broadcast angle but backwards from above?

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I agree.

That Sharks/Storm game in 2018 was a joke and showed what happens when deliberate penalties are continually given away.

That said the six again is problematic in a games with a margin of two or less in the final minutes.

The penalty goal needs to be brought back in play to punish infringing teams in close games somehow.

The referees were on the right track that season. This issue was how the penalties were given out. Every game ended up 15-14 in penalties given and a sin bin each. They decided to go hard but that penalties had to be distributed evenly. In the end it made it completely pointless, as teams knew to just give 10 penalties away as theyd get them back the next half.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Dylan Edwards is a good honest player in a great team, but the concerted campaign to have him usurp Tedesco, who is genuinely one of the elite players of his era, is going to look really weird in retrospect.

Agree with this, if Edwards had been the Tigers fullback for the last four years he'd be thought of as 'solid' and not even remotely in the conversation around rep time. He also wouldnt have got us out of any wooden spoons.

siv

First Grade
That can put a drone above the field.

Perfect birds view should make tracking pretty easy.

Isn't there a blimp shot of a try in 99GF that looked forward on the broadcast angle but backwards from above?
Dont think drones are allowed to fly above stadiums

siv

First Grade
How did you tell it went 4m forward?

Was it 4m in relation to the fast running player who passed a longer pass or the ground

The ones that look worse is when a player gets "hit" in the above situation just after passing in a draw and pass action