What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NRL controversial take

firechild

First Grade
How did you tell it went 4m forward?

Was it 4m in relation to the fast running player who passed a longer pass or the ground

The ones that look worse is when a player gets "hit" in the above situation just after passing in a draw and pass action
You don't need to know it went 4m forward, you just need to know that it absolutely did go forward. If the bunker can't determine with a reasonable level of certainty, the refs call prevails.

firechild

First Grade
One of the reasons is that, it used to be that the camera lens was known to slightly distort the angle the ball is perceived to travel when itc loser to the edge of the lens. As TV camera lens used to be concave in shape, and not flat, it would distort and pass which was capture on the edge of the camera's lens. I know this as I had a friend who was an NRL Touch Judge and he explained it all to me as that's how it had been explained to them by the powers that be.

Also the "ones even your dog saw that it was forward" was the similar basis for the bunker reviewing tries, and look at the pot luck it can become now.
Yeah, but by that logic we should get rid of the bunker (I'm not here to make an argument for or against that). The bunker make calls on things that are not black and white all the time, especially in relation to separation, grounding, on-side. I'm not saying the bunker would be a flawless solution but every reason given to not rule on forward passes could be used for a variety of other decisions that are made by the bunker.

Titanic

First Grade
Sorry late in on the 360 debate but couldn't agree more. The Fox journos on 360 have to be the most unreasonably opinionated group of numbnutz ever to grace the box. So pleased the upside-down cake Kent got turfed, a total blight on the game.

simmo05

Bench
Get rid of the video ref. If a particular decision is a howler, that is what the captains challenge is for. If the captain is stupid enough to waste it on some trivial shit too bad.

simmo05

Bench
The referees were on the right track that season. This issue was how the penalties were given out. Every game ended up 15-14 in penalties given and a sin bin each. They decided to go hard but that penalties had to be distributed evenly. In the end it made it completely pointless, as teams knew to just give 10 penalties away as theyd get them back the next half.
Bellamy actually came said in a post game presser if the refs kept it up then he was going to change things, but as we all know they caved after Gould and john's constant sooking.

siv

First Grade
Yeah, but by that logic we should get rid of the bunker (I'm not here to make an argument for or against that). The bunker make calls on things that are not black and white all the time, especially in relation to separation, grounding, on-side. I'm not saying the bunker would be a flawless solution but every reason given to not rule on forward passes could be used for a variety of other decisions that are made by the bunker.
Agree get rid of the bunker

They only work well when tries are scored near the corner post or dead ball lines when arms, legs ball are all in motion and you need 2 camera angles to get the full picture

Everything else - a in goal touch judge gets the call right faster and more often than the bunker, and with less needless stoppages

docbrown

Coach
Get rid of the video ref. Get rid of the touchies and the onfield ref. Whenever there is a dispute, send a player from each team to the Thunderdome to fight to the death.

This can only work if you have a ball tracking process that allows you to track ball forward velocity in relationship to the passers forward velocity when he passed it.

You cannot use the lines on the footy field, as every situation is different.

Except for dummy half passes

Camera angles and stop motion replays without a snicko style projection are prone to error as you focus on the lines on the footy field

Plus which pass do you rule on there will be lots in a set if six

So it needs to be real time on the screen eg green(pass is good) amber(flat or withon % error) red light(> x% error ie forward)

If an on-field Ref and Touch Judge with human eyes can rule on forward passes, uncertain why a Video Ref with all the tech at their disposal can’t?

Bukowski

Juniors
Agree get rid of the bunker

They only work well when tries are scored near the corner post or dead ball lines when arms, legs ball are all in motion and you need 2 camera angles to get the full picture

Everything else - a in goal touch judge gets the call right faster and more often than the bunker, and with less needless stoppages
In goal touchie!! 100%

nick87

Coach
Another one and probably more controversial

Golden Point isnt great but it's actually fine
The biggest arguement against it is that the extra time period becomes a game of teams playing ONLY to a FG attempt, which ignores that this is exactly what happens between the 70th and 80th minute in a tie game anyways.

Is it good footy? no. But the last minutes of a tie game in regular time isnt good footy either. If that sort of footy is good enough to decide a game in regular time, it's good enough to decide it in extra time

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
My partner got her first exposure to Slothfield the other day (I don't watch NRL360, just catch some highlights here and there) and she was amazed that he had a job on tv that wasn't a drunk extra on a show like Shameless.
I love the dirty confession or absolving of sins you squeezed in there, making sure we didn't believe you actually watched 360 :D

Sime_11

Juniors
Both Origin teams should be announced at the same time so neither state gets an advantage to tweak their team

ridiculous how some teams have been named on Sunday night then the opposition team (both sides have done it) name their squad on Monday

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Penrith Panthers should be forced to merge with Parramatta Eels so that the Parramatta Eels can finally win another comp

v9MDYw.gif

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Teams that are regular bottom dwellers, like the Tigers and Titans should get salary cap exemptions of about 2-3 million dollars for a couple of years to get them off their ass. It shouldn't be an easy thing to gain mind you, we don't want merkins tanking for cap bonuses, but something nasty like, you had to have won 3 wooden spoons in the last 10 years to qualify. That sort of pain isn't worth it for a club that knows it's already in a position to compete.

Teams that are regular bottom dwellers, like the Tigers and Titans should get salary cap exemptions of about 2-3 million dollars for a couple of years to get them off their ass. It shouldn't be an easy thing to gain mind you, we don't want merkins tanking for cap bonuses, but something nasty like, you had to have won 3 wooden spoons in the last 10 years to qualify. That sort of pain isn't worth it for a club that knows it's already in a position to compete.
Yearly NRL Draft is better then that.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Not for development clubs, just for lazy talent suckers like the Roosters, St George, Melbourne, the Dogs etc.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

dogslife

Coach
Perennial bottom dwellers like the Titans and Tigers (not the Bulldogs) should be f**king relegated for QCup or CRL div 4 teams who won't bore me to death