What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NRL controversial take

Saxon

Bench
Not with the current system we don’t. You need a draft or something else on top of the salary cap if we are going to expand.

I have particularly grave concerns for a PNG side. Regional clubs like Canberra, Newcastle and Cowboys struggle to recruit first grade players, how the hell are PNG going to recruit anybody?
Going to have to pay way overs for good players to live in Port Moresby. Especially players with families!
From guys I've worked with I believe PNG - and PM in particular - has improved markedly in the last 30 years since I worked there, but they still won't take their families there.

Rod

Bench
Won't happen

That's 190 regular season games opposed to 204 currently. Also the broadcasters pay for 27 weeks of Friday night games, Saturday night games etc so this will result in less TV money and the NRL isn't going to accept that.
Sports administrators often struggle with this concept but quality over quantity should be the goal, basically the NFL model.

190 could be preferable to 204 if they're better quality games with more players available and more at stake in each game.

Saxon

Bench
20 teams, 19 game regular season is my dream. Play everyone once. Home and away on a bi-annual basis. Play rep footy post-season, like in 2020.
Once more for the hard of thinking . . .

We
haven't
got
enough
talent
for
teams,
let
alone

In a purely practical sense, I'd rather see 12 teams and a 24 round season where everyone plays everyone twice and gets 2 byes. In practice I can't see (and don't particularly want to see) 5 clubs being culled/merged.

yobbo84

Coach

We
haven't
got
enough
talent
for
teams,
let
alone

In a purely practical sense, I'd rather see 12 teams and a 24 round season where everyone plays everyone twice and gets 2 byes. In practice I can't see (and don't particularly want to see) 5 clubs being culled/merged.

Read
the
thread
title

Bazal

Post Whore

We
haven't
got
enough
talent
for
teams,
let
alone

Good time for one my apparently hot takes

Although I don't specifically care about expansion either way we absolutely do have the talent for more teams. We just don't have a system that allows for it to be properly identified, developed or distributed.

westerntiger

Juniors
If Luke Brooks had gone to another club instead of the Tigers to begin with, he would be in the conversation for Greatest of All Time, rivalling Alfie Langer and Andrew Johns for raw skill.

yobbo84

Coach
Good time for one my apparently hot takes

Although I don't specifically care about expansion either way we absolutely do have the talent for more teams. We just don't have a system that allows for it to be properly identified, developed or distributed.
My hot/controversial take on the subject is that the NRL would be a more enjoyable competition to watch with a slightly less 'superior' player pool, spread thinner.... instead of the robotic super athletes we have today.

Your average NSW/QLD Cup game is actually a really fun version of the sport to watch.

Bazal

Post Whore
My hot/controversial take on the subject is that the NRL would be a more enjoyable competition to watch with a slightly less 'superior' player pool, spread thinner.... instead of the robotic super athletes we have today.

Your average NSW/QLD Cup game is actually a really fun version of the sport to watch.

100%

It also opens up more opportunities. NRL clubs wash players out after a season. How many of those would kick on with more opportunity, or maturity, or experience, or different coaching, etc etc etc. Especially with the heavy athletic focus. How many Mark Tookey's or George Rose's or whatever who just need the right club?

I just think it's rubbish to say there's not enough talent when player turnover is so high. There are so many former NRL players in NSW Cup and QLD Cup cos clubs can afford to wash them out at the drop of a hat, knowing someone else will replace them. A bunch of them never get another chance...there's probably no top level players there but there's plenty at NRL standard.

Colk

First Grade
99% of the NRL community have lost sight of why the "hip drop" rule was dreamt up. It was made to stop players dropping down on legs AFTER momentum had already been stopped.
We are now seeing penalties, bins and even suspensions for normal tackles from behind that have been legal for well over 100 years.

The one for Papalii wasn’t a hip drop. That was a terrible call.

The six again rule is the best rule change of the 21st century. The Wrestlemania era and the games slow reaction to it fundamentally broke the game. Even if a penalty was blown it was better than a fast play the ball. It would result in games being played a crawl or games having a thousand penalties blown. The six again rule allows the refs to fundamentally punish a team for cheating without any potential upside for them.

MugaB

Coach

We
haven't
got
enough
talent
for
teams,
let
alone

They'll never be enough talent distribution, no matter how you go about it, coz your mindset is that we value only the strongest rostered teams, but...

More teams create more 1st graders, might as well be like Rahrah RU and just have a handful of teams, and slowly watch the talent pool dry up then...
The 1st grade teams create more 1st graders, 20 teams will still have reserve graders thru ought, but it also has marquees to offset them, what your talking about is 12 super elite teams, and yet still they'll be 6 teams who have star talent, and another 6 coming at the rear end of the ladder, coz well they landed there, better to have all 12 teams competing along with the current 5 dwelling teams who are all wanting to improve, still creating 1st grade then not have them at all, so having 20 teams increases that talent pool even more, we should be trying for 24 team comp, and play each other once per season, reverse the fixtures following year..
Rugby union fkd up coz they decided to become super rugby with that elite model, instead of keeping the likes of randwick, Eastwood, Gordon etc, they made one nsw waratahs, so a possible 5 or so teams with 100 1st graders became 20 elite waratahs, they ultimately lost 80 players to their game each year, that they have gone with that system, and thats just in nsw, imagine the rest of Australia RU..
We should never abandon our clubs for some dumb origin style/super12 format, it would kill our sport, like it has kill theirs

Last edited: