What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your opinions on the front row and centre positions

lucablight

First Grade
First of all it is not my intention to offend anyone so if I do so I apologise.
This is not an attempt to bag people but an attempt at constructive criticism and evoking open discussion.

From what I've heard Aaron Cannings is on $230,000 a year. From what I've seen this year so far I haven't really seen Cannings do anything that suggests he is worth this. People were calling for him to be in the starting side but he has not really made as many metres as we hoped for. We have seen glimpses of his potential but do you think it could be a case of overrating the guy?

Also on Peek I think as soon as Vella comes back he should be replaced. He simply does not make metres. This is becoming all too consistent. 4 hitups for 34m is very very medicore. Sure he makes alot of tackles but so I'm sure with Cayless,Hindmarsh,Morrison and Wagon we have enough of this already.

Finally on the centre position does anybody think this position should go to O'Dwyer? Does anybody think he would be a better alternative to Graham? From what he has shown he can defend well enough. Personally I think Graham is too much of a liability.

I ask for your opinions/thoughts on these issues.

Bazal

Post Whore
Cannings missed almost all of last year, he's been improving steadily. Peek is solid but doesn't offer enough dimension to the forwards. Graham hasn't done too much wrong, O'Dwyer may be a better tackler than Graham, but he is very one dimensional in attack. Graham is our best option unless we bring up Ben Smith or move Burt into the centres once Wade comes back.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah!! Let's just scrap the experienced guys up there and bring in 5 or 6 rookies!! That'll be a huge help.

lucablight

First Grade
Cannings missed almost all of last year, he's been improving steadily. Peek is solid but doesn't offer enough dimension to the forwards. Graham hasn't done too much wrong, O'Dwyer may be a better tackler than Graham, but he is very one dimensional in attack. Graham is our best option unless we bring up Ben Smith or move Burt into the centres once Wade comes back.

It's true that Cannings missed most of last year but he is on big money and last year was not his first year in football. Stringer and Cayless have had some good games and Morrison and PJ game back from career threatening injuries. All of these players have made some sort of impact in at least one game something which Cannings has not done. People bag Vella but he was playing after coming back from a long term injury as well.

Graham was horrible on the wing last year but this year in two games at centre he has had terrible games in defence. People were willing to see Wagon in the centres despite his attacking abilities so I don't see how O'Dwyer would be much different. I know Wagon didn't work but O'Dwyer may have enough mobility to defend there.

rednut

Juniors
i reckon odwyer to the centres to replace ash, as much as i like ash hes not playing very well
in the front row i recon peek is a toiler who should be replaced with an impact player like fui or vella when either of them is back

Brian72

Juniors
I think the props are ok. Yes Vella will be a grateful return but which Vella will it be? We know he can play two ways but unfortunately, the good way is few and far between but at his best, as good as anyone. I understand about Cannings. Hasnt set the world on fire but not too bad at this stage.

Ash Graham is a difficult one. He IS a liability in defence. Just no idea. BUT his attack has looked good so what do you do?

cureme

Juniors
Surely on form Burt should get another crack at centre ahead of Ash, assuming Wade is back next week. I agree with the Peek assesment, he just hasn't got the go forward and lacks any 'mongrel'. I think Cannings needs to work on his fitness, and he can't do that with limited game time off the bench.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Burt could play centre in reggies.

but please no more fullback for him bring up Reddy anything else if Wade isn't ready next week.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Yes Ash played poor today and yes he probably does deserve to be dropped. Missing tackles like he did today is unacceptable in the top grade. I think he tried hard but that just isnt good enough,

Saying that I Wont be writting him off just yet. 2 years ago Canberra had a field day running at Willie tonga and many of you were saying the same things of him as you are of Ash now.

As for Burt he wasn't bad today. You cant expect him to have the defence of Wade McKinnon, there arent many that do. Even Wade woulda strugled today.

theicemandanno

Juniors
Side for next week:

1. Graham (only if Mckinnon is out)
2. Grothe
3. B.Smith
4. Tahu
5. Burt
6. Morris
7. T.Smith

8. Cayless
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Hindmarsh
12. Morrison
13. Wagon

14. PJ
15. Robinson
16. Afamasaga
17. Cannings

AlexTheEel

Juniors
theicemandanno said:
Side for next week:

1. Graham (only if Mckinnon is out)
2. Grothe
3. B.Smith
4. Tahu
5. Burt
6. Morris
7. T.Smith

8. Cayless
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Hindmarsh
12. Morrison
13. Wagon

14. PJ
15. Robinson
16. Afamasaga
17. Cannings

Did you watch the game? OF all the players to drop you only drop Peterson? Mate he tried his arse off today.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
How could you drop Petersen after he tried his best?

If you could give points for Parra's best performers today it'll probably be:

3- Hindmarsh
2- Petersen
1- Smith

Utey

Coach
The team you just named shows you didnt watch the game. Peterson was one of our better players. We lost the game in the forwards and our lazy ruck defence. They had a field day running at Ash Graham as well. He is well off his best unfortunately. We missed Wagon big time and I think our starting pack just didnt match the Broncos pack with attitude and enthusiasm. We played poorly as a team and deserved a thumping.

Utey

Coach
The team you just named shows you didnt watch the game. Peterson was one of our better players. We lost the game in the forwards and our lazy ruck defence. They had a field day running at Ash Graham as well. He is well off his best unfortunately. We missed Wagon big time and I think our starting pack just didnt match the Broncos pack with attitude and enthusiasm. We played poorly as a team and deserved a thumping.

we definately lost the game today in the forwards. Ash had a shocker, but everytime we got the ball, and thus a chance to strike back, we had absolutely no go forward and so nothing to build on.

Yet again we still have backs hitting the ball up on the fourth tackle. Why the hell at least one forward isnt in position by the third still astounds me, yet when I look at our forwards I tend to see a bit of roundedness down near the waistline so there might be a clue there.

We had 4 porpos today, plus Char who can play prop well, and not one of them did a single thing in the first half. Absolutely terrible, slow, hitting the line without force, lazy around the ruck in defense.............terrible. Yet what do we have to replace them? 2 props out - JT for the season and Micky indefinately.

I find it funny that once again, before the season, everyone was crowing about our forward depth and how our backs were our weakness, yet in almost every game the backs have held relatively well considering the poor performance our forwards have given.

Yes, Ash should probably be dropped, but no matter who they put in, there will be little change if we don't get an 8 and 10 that have the testicular fortitude to suck it up and hit the line at speed.