What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Victoria Cross in North Sydney. One of the top 3 most impressive stations on the city section. It is f**king huge and takes 3 escalators down from street level, so it is also very deep.
The Metro from the city to North Sydney and it was pretty fantastic having said that, Victoria Cross station is massive but I don’t like the fact that the elevators on the north end one side get on once I get off.

I caught the Metro at Barangaroo, and there is a station that is well out of the way. I think the closest thing it’s too that swimming hole at Barangaroo.

Walking from Wynyard station which is where my office is to Barangaroo was the wrong decision and I really should’ve gone to Martin place.

However, on the way back, it was pretty easy to hop on it Victoria Cross and get off at Central

Suitman

Post Whore
The gap between the paved area and the driveway outside of gate b between the stadium and the leagues club

It’s not really a hole just a block of undeveloped price of old car park
Oh, ok. The previous Libs had allocated funds to build the new PCYC in that location, out of its Western Sydney Improvement funds, but it was canned as soon as Labor came to power. It was going to be a stunning addition to the location.
Click on the 2nd link for a picture.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah, then it’s gonna run pretty much south of the river all the way to Westmead but I would’ve preferred it to go from that big place near the old Peter Wynns to stadium to Westmead

Of course purely because I live three blocks from CommBank Stadium

Geez Mits, if you live 3 blocks from CommBank I'm not sure why you'd need a train!!

Suitman

Post Whore
1726462221923.png

@Twizzle

Like I said, with the push of a few buttons - this can happen.

The new Sydney Metro has just extended its operating hours later (timeout.com)

"From today onwards, the first southbound metro service of the day will leave Tallawong at 4.08am seven days a week, and the first northbound service will leave Sydenham every morning at 4.54am. On Mondays through Thursdays, the last train of the day will leave Tallawong at 11.50pm, and Sydenham at 12.24am. On Fridays and Saturdays, Sydneysiders can catch the super-fast trains later – with the last trains on Fridays departing from Tallawong at 12.50am and at 12.48am on Saturdays, and the last trains from Sydenham leaving at 1.24am both nights. On Sundays, the last train will depart from Tallawong at 10.18pm and from Sydenham 10.54pm.

During the week, trains will run every four minutes during peak times, every five minutes between peak periods and every ten minutes at other times."

Suitman

Post Whore
How far has the Sydney rail system come?

Great video.
I spent my childhood catching trains from Dundas, Telopea or Carlingford to go to Eels away games in the 70's.
Loved those red rattlers and being able to hang out the doors and jump off before the train had stopped.
The Carlingford line is now a double track light rail all the way through Parra to Westmead.
This is also good.

Gronk

Staff member
I used to hear a steam train whistle every now and then. No I'm not that old FFS, it must have been an annual event.

Suitman

Post Whore
Words fail me.

- Flat rate 50 cent Opal fares. Lol.
- 32% pay increase and with reduced productivity. Lol.
-
Demanding cancellation of the Bankstown extension of the Metro despite $1 Billion already having been spent and another $1.5 Billion in contracts having been signed and work starting on Saturday. Lol.
- Refusing to work if the air temperature rises above 30 degrees. Lol.
- All this despite an agreement already being made with the previous govt. Which they have now ignored.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...l/news-story/e7c8609409b4d0a5ee95ddeea4654530

Sydney train services to be disrupted as rail union negotiations fail

Train services will likely be disrupted this week, with extra trains to NRL semi-finals cancelled as the Minns government failed to come to an agreement with the rail union on Tuesday afternoon.

Rugby fans can expect a tough time getting to the NRL semi-finals in Sydney this weekend as the rail union begins rolling industrial action on Wednesday, disrupting train services.

Negotiations between the Rail, Tram and Bus Union and the Minns government failed on Tuesday afternoon, after the union’s requests were not met.

Train services will be disrupted this weekend, with the union refusing to work to any timetable changes if an agreement is not reached. This means that additional services that would have been in place to get fans to NRL semi-final matches this Friday and Saturday will likely be cancelled. Additional services to the Wallabies vs. New Zealand rugby union match at Accor Stadium will also be impacted.

The RTBU has demanded that the government set a flat rate of 50 cents for all opal fares across the city after a similar announcement from the Queensland government last week.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The demand is part of a suite of requests made by the union including that trains continue to run on the T3 line from Sydenham to Bankstown, instead of being converted into a Metro. The RTBU has been a vocal opponent of the southwest Metro line, despite the overwhelming success of the new Sydney Metro.

The union is also requesting a 32 per cent pay rise over four years and a cut to the working week to 35 hours, without a reduction in pay.

This comes despite the industrial umpire in 2023 ruling that rail workers receive a 5.5 per cent pay rise over two years, as well as one off-payment of $4500.

The ruling ended a dispute between the rail union and the former Coalition government, which severely disrupted Sydney’s rail network in 2022.

The RTBU will begin its suite of actions from midnight to continue indefinitely.

Transport Minister Jo Haylen said negotiations would continue with the union on Wednesday.

“We are hopeful of an agreement to remove the bans currently notified by the RTBU that impact services including for special events including the multiple sporting events happening this weekend,” she said.

Transport for NSW has alerted there will be delays to passenger services resulting from industrial action but refused to comment on whether it would significantly delay work on the south west Metro line, as the T3 line between Bankstown to Sydenham is due to close next week.

As part of the action union members will not work on any changed timetable and will be banned from doing any work on the Bankstown line when the section to be converted to a Metro line shuts at the end of this month. Signals will also not be cleared on the line if it shuts.

Infrastructure workers will also refuse to perform work on the lines if the temperature is higher than 30 degrees and there will also be a ban on removing dead animals from the tracks and training new trainees for the rail operations centre.

RTBU NSW secretary Toby Warnes said the union would call off the industrial action if the Minns government agreed to provide 50 cent fares. The union intends to wedge the government on this issue as it gears up to bargain over its pay increase demands later this year.

“We’re being forced to take action because our transport system has been neglected for over a decade and unfortunately rather than fix the mess, this current government is continuing to attack our transport system and its workers just like the previous government,” Mr Warnes said.

Premier Chris Minns ruled out 50 cent fares, saying it would only pass the cost onto taxpayers.

“Someone will have to pay for it so either it will be at the farebox or it will go on people’s tax bill and obviously if we could run it for free we would but ultimately the bill has to be sent to somebody,” he said

However, they are just digging their own grave with statements like the below from an ABC article. Absolute garbage.

"The Metro, as a driverless train that moves very fast, is running along a corridor which is on ground level and out in the open," he said.

"[That] creates its own concerns, considering that, for example, the Metro travels under 13 bridges between Canterbury and Sydenham."
The Metro, as a driverless train that moves very fast, is running along a corridor which is on ground level and out in the open," he said.

"[That] creates its own concerns, considering that, for example, the Metro travels under 13 bridges between Canterbury and Sydenham."

There is so much wrong with this statement.

- Yes, it's a driverless train, so thankfully it isn't beholden to your stupid industrial action.
- Yes, it travels under bridges. It already does you fool.
- Yes, it travels at a ground level corridor already, you fool.
- Yes, the metro moves (lol at the choice of words) very fast. That's what it is intended to do, you fool.
- Doesn't the current Sydney trains system run along ground level and out in the open? The same system that has seen the unfortunate deaths of 5 people just this year on your own system dickhead?

But it gets worse. From that article -

"He said the union was also concerned about the curvature of the tracks between Sydenham and Bankstown.

"It was built to run very old steam trains, not 21st-century metros."

- Ahm dickhead, maybe that's why it is being updated from steam trains technology to Metro.

Seriously, can these unions get any greedier or any more stupid with their statements?
This lot need to go the same way as the CFMEU.

They picked a good weekend for it - Sharks home final at Homebush against the Cowboys... will draw less people than the Friday night cue to buy "phone chargers" at Wentworth Point 7-11 😂

Premier Chris Minns ruled out 50 cent fares, saying it would only pass the cost onto taxpayers.

“Someone will have to pay for it so either it will be at the farebox or it will go on people’s tax bill and obviously if we could run it for free we would but ultimately the bill has to be sent to somebody,” he said
Personally I would have bolded that bit - showing the Minns Labor Government is staring down the union demands, and pushing ahead, just like you want them to be.

So nothing to see here, and nothing to get flustered about.. and you could have saved yourself a hell of a lot of typing 😊.

Latest posts