What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your prehistoric NSWRL team.

Blair

Coach
I'm pretty sure Blair is right with Darryl Williams in 1987.

I remember reading somewhere that the first time a Kiwi won the comp was also the first time there had been a Kiwi in each of the Grand Final sides, so we were guaranteed to have a Kiwi winner out of it.

1987 was Manly vs Canberra, so was Toddy playing for the Raiders back then?

Yeah, Toddy was in the famous lime Woodgers jersey that day.

So Williams in '87 started it for the Kiwis.

Then it was Todd in '89-90, Wiki and Pongia in '94 (Lomax suspended), Jason Williams, Timu and Halligan in '95, Ridge and Innes
in '96, Thorn and Carroll in '97-98, 00 & 06, Swain, Rua, Kearney and Nikau '99, Lomu and Cayless '02, Whatuira, Galuvao and Puletua '03, Utai, Asotasi, SB Williams '04, Marshall, Whatuira '05, Smith, Lima '07 (stripped), Matai '08, Blair and Lima '09 (stripped), Smith, Nightingale and Fien '10, and Foran, Matai & Galuvao '11.

2012 it'll be Locke, Vatuvei, Ropati, Inu, Johnson, Tupou, Matulino, Packer, et al. Maybe, just maybe.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Actually, this season might be a good time to reconnect with those old teams.

For me Canberra aren't worth the trouble anymore but I'm quite liking the Bulldogs, so I guess they'll fill the void. Pritch, Inu, Kasiano, Barba...et al, not bad at all.

I didn't mind them back when they had McCracken, Halligan, Jason Williams and Ewen McGrady (the Dally M winner who was so shy he couldn't turn up to collect his award) either, and before that with the Mortimers, Tunks and co. They've always seemed tough, but disliked them during that Coffs Harbour period.

Blair

Coach
Is anyone else starting to feel a little something for their old flame, again?

The Green Machine are going pretty good this year!

I was always a firm believer that 'exes' should stay in the past but, gee, it's tough right now.

spear tackle

Juniors
I used to follow the green machine , probably because they almost always had a kiwi connection, but cant say I've followed them for a long time now.

Rich102

Staff member
I started reading the thread from the start, not recognising any posts.
Then I thought 'Wazza's back' and 'Beavers jockstrap' then I checked the date.
They were good days!

Blair

Coach
I started reading the thread from the start, not recognising any posts.
Then I thought 'Wazza's back' and 'Beavers jockstrap' then I checked the date.
They were good days!

Beaver was here when Manly were going so good...;-).

JJ

Immortal
This may have been discussed before (heck, there's about a million posts) but who did you support in the Sydney comp before 1995 (if you're old enough) and do you still care now?

I was a Canberra nut, cried in '91 when the Panthers denied them three in a row. Thought they were the most exciting team I'd ever seen, but I peaked in '94 (like the Raiders actually) and have lost all interest.

An aside, does anyone remember a TVNZ competition where a couple won a trip to the '91 GF? A Maori couple from Northland won and the whole thing had a feelgood vibe which I haven't forgot. Greg Clark interviewed them by the Opera House. Anyone remember?

I was the reverse, loved that Penrith team, huge young talent and the likes of Simmons, Kelly, Mortimer, Dunn, Clarke and Izzard

Should have been a long rivalry but for the Ben Alexsnder tragedy. 1991 was an epic grand final, f**king Harrigan did what he could to get the Raiders to win. Epic effort from the Raiders but Roycie got the send off he deserved!!

Diesel

Referee
Manly, around 1990, perhaps 1989. Was introduced to the game by a friend with RLW mags and who's older brother would play 2 on 1 in the lounge room for the Winfirld Cup which was an old DB Draught beer can

Blair

Coach
Manly, around 1990, perhaps 1989. Was introduced to the game by a friend with RLW mags and who's older brother would play 2 on 1 in the lounge room for the Winfirld Cup which was an old DB Draught beer can

The Sydney league comp really took off around that time, the late '80s/early '90s in NZ.

SOO had a massive impact on this development. It was live on TV2 and we were hooked. The '88, '89, '90 and '91 finals series, were all live too. You could watch your team progress, or break your heart, each weekend in prime-time (there were very few night games on Sat or Sun) and it hit big.

It was only natural that a team from this new market, NZ, would be one of the four new teams announced in 1992.

shiznit

Coach
Parra have been my team since my dad got me an Eels jersey for my 8th birthday.

He was a Raiders fan himself but he got me that jersey as It was the only jersey in the store that could remotely fit me.

I've been stuck with the crazy shitshow that's the Eels ever since...

It's funny though... I've always had a soft spot for the Warriors... I always love the fact that the game shines when the Warriors are doing well...

The Mrs always asks me why I don't switch to the Warriors as I watch Warriors games as much as I watch Eels games... And I've said the day the Eels finally win a premiership will be the day I buy a season membership for me and my sons and start following the Warriors.

Skinner

Coach
Parra have been my team since my dad got me an Eels jersey for my 8th birthday.

He was a Raiders fan himself but he got me that jersey as It was the only jersey in the store that could remotely fit me.

I've been stuck with the crazy shitshow that's the Eels ever since...

It's funny though... I've always had a soft spot for the Warriors... I always love the fact that the game shines when the Warriors are doing well...

The Mrs always asks me why I don't switch to the Warriors as I watch Warriors games as much as I watch Eels games... And I've said the day the Eels finally win a premiership will be the day I buy a season membership for me and my sons and start following the Warriors.

I have been a Western Suburbs Magpie fan for many years (Note : not a Wests Tigers), but those halcyon days in the eighties when the Eels were winning premierships were really awesome. Our youngest son was, and is, an Eels fan, so I got to quite a few of their home
games. They were a good side with a great coach.

Matua

Bench
I never had 1 team, I just followed the ones with lots of Kiwis (Bulldogs, Manly etc) at any time. Arguably my favourite player back then was Laurie Daley but I didn't follow Canberra.

The Warriors have changed things for me as I tend to lose interest in other games with other teams, especially in seasons when the Warriors are cabbage.

I liked the Magpies because I'm from the Bay so they were a natural fit.

Blair

Coach
After yesterday's Warriors performance the Raiders are staying in 1994 a bit longer.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Actually, what happened to Beavers Headgear. He just seemed to go mia.

I'm back !!!! Thanx to Richs help only

Phone had a meltdown last year and ended up forgetting what my password was here and it was linked to an old paradise email account I haven't had for about 7 years so was a bit of a debacle. Created another account and logged into that to see PMs from Rich last November offering to help so showed how long it had been since I was on here ! Planning a wedding and honeymoon will do that to ya

Might put my head back down though, Warriors above Manly on the table, how does that happen :lol:

Skinner

Coach
I'm back !!!! Thanx to Richs help only

Phone had a meltdown last year and ended up forgetting what my password was here and it was linked to an old paradise email account I haven't had for about 7 years so was a bit of a debacle. Created another account and logged into that to see PMs from Rich last November offering to help so showed how long it had been since I was on here ! Planning a wedding and honeymoon will do that to ya

Might put my head back down though, Warriors above Manly on the table, how does that happen :lol:

Cool, and welcome back mate. We can't afford to lose good posters.....we need to dilute the dross on here LOL.