What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your starting side - 2013

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Obviously the trials and pre-season of 2013 are going to tell us a lot more than we know now, but based on what we do know now, what does your 2013 starting side look like?

Mine below:

1. Hoffman - he deserves another shot at it for mine. If he can start the year a confident player he will show what he did early in 2012.
2. Copley - not really many other options, and he did show some promising form in the back end of 2012 - strong kick returns.
3. Reed - really no other options. Capable of much, and hopefully the off season treats him well.
4. Hodges - no brainer.
5. Maranta - the kid deserves a shot a fulltime wing spot.
6. Norman - I'd like to see him get a go outside Prince. These two could prove a powerful combination with Prince's kicking and Norman's running game.
7. Prince - If he can work behind a pack that lives up to its potential, magic could happen.
8. McGuire - Big Show has earned a starting spot.
9. Mcullough - Hook will probably still start the year with the hooker rotation, with perhaps the view to having McC run out the second half of the season as an 80min hooker.
10. Hannant - no brainer.
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hunt
15. Stagg
16. Gillett
17. Dodds - Hala is still recovering from that injury, but I'd expect this spot will rotate between the two - Dodds with his excellent defence, Hala with his impact.

Yow Yeh is just another headache, but I'd welcome the kid back into Maranta's wing spot when he's ready. There's really no need t rush him back in.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Not bad......

I'd be keen to see Copely in the centres with Hodgo at some point.

Losing faith in Jack Reed

Like the halves pairing...........;-)

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yeah I'd be fine with that. Would replace Hunt with Baptiste or Granville though.

Hoffman on thin ice. To a lesser extent Reed.

some11

Referee
Same side I expect to see Griffin name round 1 except I'm sure he'll have Wallace at 6.

What I want to see in trials is Bond given a crack at fullback and Copley at centre.

Edward

Juniors
1. Hoffman
2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Norman
7. Prince
8. Stagg
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Wallace
15. McGuire
16. Gillett
17. Dodds

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Not counting injuries this is how I see things:

1. Hoffman.
2. Copley.
3. Reed.
4. Hodges.
5. Maranta.
6. Norman / Prince.
7. Wallace.
8. McGuire.
9. McCullough.
10. Hannant.
11. Glenn.
12. Thaiday (c).
13. Parker (vc).

14. Gillett.
15. Stagg
16. Dodds / Hala / Anderson.
17. Prince / Norman.

Hook is still coaching this team afterall... I think both new signings will make the team, however the players that "did it" for him this year, will still get their shot next year and will be the priority.

Given Hook's obvious lack of enthusiasm for playing Hunt this year, I suspect he'll make way for Prince and the only real decision will be whether to start Prince or play him off the bench.

I think Dodds, Hala and Anderson will be rotated through the bench prop spot, just like this year, with none of them really doing enough to hold down that spot permanently.

Yow Yeh to return early to mid season and Maranta to make way for him.

Chainshada

Juniors
What I think it will be:

1. Hoffman
2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Maranta (Until Yow Yeh returns)
6. Prince
7. Wallace
8. Thaiday (c)
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Stagg
13. Parker

14. Hunt/Norman
15. Gillett
16. Hannant
17. Hala

What I want it to be:

1. Norman
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Hoffman (Time to prove his form/mindset before Yow Yeh returns, if he's playing well, move to 1/2.
6. Hunt
7. Prince
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday (c)
13. Parker (vc)

14. Stagg
15. Gillett
16. Hala
17. Dodds

Big Pete

Referee
1. Corey Norman
2. Dale Copley
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Josh Hoffman
6. Scott Prince
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday (c)
13. Corey Parker

14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Matt Gillett
16. David Hala
17. Mitchell Frei

I don't expect Hook to give up on Norman and fully expect to see him back at fullback. I don't know how he will perform but maybe with a full off-season under his belt he could be of value? Similar thoughts with Hoffman on the wing.

Halves numbers don't really worry me. I just expect to see Prince in the 6 to avoid any hassle.

Only real preferences I've shown is Baptiste on the bench as an impact hooker & Frei due to his versatility. I just hope we've kept him at the club!

Nerd

Bench
What I think it will be:

1. Norman
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Hoffman (Time to prove his form/mindset before Yow Yeh returns, if he's playing well, move to 1/2.
6. Hunt
7. Prince
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday (c)
13. Parker (vc)

14. Stagg
15. Gillett
16. Hala
17. Dodds
I like this one.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
if everyone is fit I'd like to see

1. Norman
2. Maranta
3. Hodges
4. Reed
5. Yow Yeh
6. Prince
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9, Macca
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker
14. Stagg
15. Gillet
16. Gibb
17. Hala

I think having Prince for 2 years is a golden opportunity to get 80 minutes out of Norman and Hunt each and every week because it's looking more and more likely that they will be the 1/2 combo in the years to come. I'm not a fan of Hunt on the bench and out of Wallace/Norman/Hunt he looks more the ball player so the more time he gets to develop alongside someone of Princes calibre the better off he and the Broncos will be.

Nightward

Juniors
1. Corey Norman
2. Dale Copley
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jarahl Yow-Yeh/Josh Hoffman/Lachlan Maranta
6. Peter Wallace
7. Scott Prince
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker (C)

14. Ben Hunt
15. David Stagg
16. David Hala
17. Sam Thaiday (VC)

Though having Thaiday on the bench is a pipe dream at best >.< He could do with another Bennet-style exile to the Queensland Cup with orders not to come back until he plays in a fashion deserving of a starting spot, never mind the captaincy of, the Broncos. In reality he will be in the 12 instead of Gillett, with Gillett on the bench.

I think the idea with bringing Prince back is to allow Norman to go to fullback, with further development on Hunt as a halfback and Norman as a 5/8th, or for Kurt Baptiste to become a half to have time to stick. McCullough needs to become an 80-minute player this season, too.

unbreaK

Juniors
1. Bond
2. Hoffman (Replaced by Yow Yeh if he plays worse than Copley)
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Copley (Replaced by Yow Yeh if he plays worse than Hoffman)
6. Wallace
7. Prince
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn (c)
12. Thaiday (vc)
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Stagg
16. Hala
17. Hunt

(I know the odds of this happening are buckley, but it's a line-up I'd enjoy watching)

ShaneO85

Juniors
For my line up (based on last years form)
1. Justin Hodges
2. Dale Copley
3. Jack Reed
4. Corey Norman
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Peter Wallace
7. Scott Prince
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Alex Glenn (Co-Capt)
12. David Stagg
13. Corey Parker(Co-Capt)

14. Matt Gillett
15. Sam Thaiday
16. David Hala
17. Ben Hunt

i know i am dreaming with sam getting relegated but he had his worst season in memory last year. if he wasn't captain he surely would have been benched or dropped. It just wasn't clicking on the right edge this year with the boys all too flat and getting in each others road. I'd move sam into the prop rotation as a ball player akin to graham/kasiano.

also went hodgo at fb as even though he is aging he still looks our most dangerous runner with the ball. every successful team the last few years has had an outstanding fullback and no more so than this year (slatter, stewart, barba, inglis, boyd, hayne: i hate a couple of those blokes but when their team won games they were in great form).

maranta to possibly make way for Jahral after some time in Qcup getting his confidence back, along with norman making way for kahu, bond, hoffman, whitchurch if form warrants (with a couple of reshuffles as required)

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Why would anyone play Prince off the bench....?

Griffin's not an idiot.

I never said he was, though arguably he is showing questionable judgement over some elements of his current squad in relation to their ability (or lack thereof more specifically) to grow into the type of superstars that can take us to another premiership.

However the reason why I'd suggest Prince might come off the bench, is the fact that Griffin never really wanted Prince in his team anyway. He may be forced to play him, but that doesn't mean his annointed ones will get shoved out of the starting team in favour of him.

If anyone believes the Broncs signing Prince was anything other than Griffin being overruled by Management, than you'll believe anything. The deal was simply too good to pass up, but it throws a spanner in the works of Griffin's whole "this squad has everything we need" mantra that he has harped on about and demonstrates that not everyone within the Broncs football club has necessarily bought into that vision...

The deafening silence from Broncos HQ over the Stagg signing seems to reinforce that.

Anyone see anything about David Stagg on the Broncs site (despite the announcement from other sources happening days ago)?

JamesBrandy

Juniors
1. Corey Norman
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Dale Copley
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Scott Prince
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Matt Gillett
15. David Stagg
16. Jack Reed
17. David Hala

Kiwi

First Grade
This is what I would like to see

1 - Hodges
2 - Copely
3 - Reed
4 - Norman
5 - Yow Yeh
6 - Wallace
7 - Prince
8 - Hannant
9 - McCullough
10 - McGuire
11 - Glenn
12 - Thaiday
13 - Parker

14 - Hunt
15 - Gillett
16 - Hala
17 - Stagg ( If we get him )

I would like to see Hoffman made to really earn his fullback spot back after the end off this year and the fact that he admitted he didn't put in.

jakepearce94

Juniors
I never said he was, though arguably he is showing questionable judgement over some elements of his current squad in relation to their ability (or lack thereof more specifically) to grow into the type of superstars that can take us to another premiership.

However the reason why I'd suggest Prince might come off the bench, is the fact that Griffin never really wanted Prince in his team anyway. He may be forced to play him, but that doesn't mean his annointed ones will get shoved out of the starting team in favour of him.

If anyone believes the Broncs signing Prince was anything other than Griffin being overruled by Management, than you'll believe anything. The deal was simply too good to pass up, but it throws a spanner in the works of Griffin's whole "this squad has everything we need" mantra that he has harped on about and demonstrates that not everyone within the Broncs football club has necessarily bought into that vision...

The deafening silence from Broncos HQ over the Stagg signing seems to reinforce that.

Anyone see anything about David Stagg on the Broncs site (despite the announcement from other sources happening days ago)?
he has signed and was at broncos training today, pictures on the broncos website.

some11

Referee
2626wqq.jpg
13yf5t1.jpg

Reidy87

Juniors
Hello everyone - have followed this forum for ages and thought it's about time to sign up and actually contribute... Huge broncs supporter, 25yo employed in PR and Gov Relations.

Interesting times for our side next year. I expect to see Norman in 1, Prince 7 and Wallace 6 next year, Hoffman at wing - plenty of time to let form decide who goes when JYY makes his triumphant return.

Hoffie seemed unstoppable in 2011 (though Beale I thought was probably even better at 1), but too many times this year he has broken down the old fullback out-the-back play. With SP we now have a really good side - but our biggest problem is a serious lack of one or two absolute speedsters in the outside backs (or halves for that matter).

We need a fullback with good foot speed as well as ball playing skills. our current options seem to have one or the other, not good enough with the likes of Billie, GI, Bowen, Barba etc. Beale was the closest we had, but probably not quite talented enough for the long term.

Hodgo would have made an exceptional 1 and delivered much better value long term if moved there in 09 - too late now.

I still think or prospects are looking better with an old head half who can calm the boys down and get some structure close to the line - might score some points in 2013.

Latest posts