What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Team for 2009

This is the team that I think Hagan will go with:

1.Hayne
2.Etu
3.B Smith - Let's see what we have been missing
4.INU
5.Grothe
6. Keating
7. Finch
8. Cayless - Please show some heart. 2007 was awesome 2008 was crap.
9. Keating
10. Paulo
11. Hindmarsh
12. Horro - He can be real X factor. Very raw though.
13. Mateo

14.Kingston -
15.Fui Fui
16. B Wright - Was awesome in the PL final
17.Huaraki - Make or break. Was expecting so much from him this year.

Cordoba and Burt have been dissapointing. Cordoba used to have a aggression and a hard running style in the Juniors but obviously he has been hanging with Cayless to much and gone soft.

forward pass

Coach
Out of left field, I wouldn't mind giving Hayne a start at five-eighth. He really needs to get his hands on the ball more often and I think he could really have an impact there. KK would come off the bench.

The Colonel

Immortal
1. Hayne
2. Reddy
3. Ben Smith
4. Inu
5. Jono Wright
6. Keating, K
7. Finch
8. Cayless
9. Keating, M
10. Moimoi
11. Hindmarsh
12. Robinson, T
13. Mateo

14. Wright
15. Horo
16. Paulo
17. Cordoba

Avenger

Immortal

1.Hayne
2.Etu
4.INU
5.Grothe
6. Keating
7. Finch
9. Keating
10. Paulo
11. Hindmarsh
13. Mateo

14.Kingston -
15.Fui Fui

Cordoba and Burt have been dissapointing. Cordoba used to have a aggression and a hard running style in the Juniors but obviously he has been hanging with Cayless to much and gone soft.

Reddy will be there before Etu. Mannah should be there before Weller. I like Horo in the second row but I think he will probably get a bench spot. I like Colonel's selection of Tim Robinson as a starting secondrower.

Hopefully we will not have to worry about Hagan for much longer. ;-)

Last edited:

spiderdan

Bench
i agree with colonel - no spare rake on the bench. i think hagan started to go with that train of thought later in the season and we seemed to get a bit more go forward from it.

i am hoping gu2 finds his best form again. i think when he is playing well he is close to, if not the best winger in the game.

strider

Post Whore
Reddy will be there before Etu. Mannah should be there before Weller. I like Horo in the second row but I think he will probably get a bench spot. I like Colonel's selection of Tim Robinson as a starting secondrower.

Hopefully we will not have to worry about Hagan for much longer. ;-)
don't u start with the winkys too .... colonel, stagger and now you :crazy:

strider

Post Whore
Out of left field, I wouldn't mind giving Hayne a start at five-eighth. He really needs to get his hands on the ball more often and I think he could really have an impact there. KK would come off the bench.
I wouldn't mind seeing it in action ..... only problem I see is that hayne is a massive ball hog and the other backs might get starved - but hey if jarryd scores wth every touch I wouldn't complain :lol:

Bigfella

Coach
If Hagan selects Burt, Etu, Wright or Tautai on the wing ahead of Grothe (which I think he will) it will confirm to me how little idea he has.

I don;t see why anyone thinks an off season will change Hagan's priorities of "last in has priority" except in relation to Ben Smith - now that he has officially blamed the poor season on Ben's injury.

In the forwards he will have no choice but I really expect starting and FG experience to be given priority, in line with his usual strategy. I reckon he'll pick:

1. Hayne
2. Reddy / Tautai
3. Inu
4. Smith
5. Burt
6. Keating
7. Finch
8. Cayless
9. Keating
10. Moi Moi
11. Hauraki
12. Hindmarsh
13. Mateo

14. Paolo
15. Cordoba
16 Gulavao
17. Kingston

He may even start Joe ahead of Weller.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I reckon he'll be thinking

Tautai
Wright
Oak
Grothe

to be next in line

to

The Colonel

Immortal
i agree with colonel - no spare rake on the bench. i think hagan started to go with that train of thought later in the season and we seemed to get a bit more go forward from it.

With Riddell and then Mateo injured there wasn't much choice.

Horo can cover centre and backrow. You can always push Mateo back to 5/8 and either Keating or Finch into hooker if it came to that. No need for a second hooker.

Avenger

Immortal
don't u start with the winkys too .... colonel, stagger and now you :crazy:

I know jack sh*t. However I have a feeling and my feeling is that there will be some type of announcement before pre-season training starts. From memory it happened to Brian Smith in 2005. We choked in the preliminary final. Soon after Brian Smith was told that his contract would not be renewed.

bartman

Immortal
This is what I think Hagan will go with, barring injury.

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Inu
4. Smith
5. Reddy
6. Keating
7. Finch
8. Cayless (c)
9. Keating
10. Moimoi
11. Hindmarsh
12. Lowrie
13. Mateo

14. Hauraki
15. Cordoba
16. Paulo
17. Oake
18. Galavao
19. Kingston

20. Grothe (first in line reserve back)
21. Tautai (next in line reserve back)

22/3. Etu/J Wright (next in line in the backs, since everyone seems to be getting over-excited about them)
24+. All the forwards that Hagan wouldn't give a go during last season, yet people somehow expect will go straight into the top 17 now: B Wright, Robinson, Mannah, Horo, Bauman etc

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
23+. All the forwards that Hagan wouldn't give a go during last season, yet people somehow expect will go straight into the top 17 now: B Wright, Robinson, Mannah, Horo, Bauman etc

Given the grilling he got recently I doubt he has much choice but to bring in the kids that have done the job in the lower grades ahead of players that didn't.

I think the trial matches will see some interesting selections into what we would expect will be the "top" squad.

Avenger

Immortal
Given the grilling he got recently I doubt he has much choice but to bring in the kids that have done the job in the lower grades ahead of players that didn't.

I think the trial matches will see some interesting selections into what we would expect will be the "top" squad.

You make a good point, however I suspect that Hagan is lacking in the balls department and will not have the courage to do this.

His most significant sacking was Grothe and that was way overdue and probably used as a scapegoat to some extent when you consider powderpuffs like Cordoba and Weller kept getting selected.

Bigfella

Coach
My preferred side would be:

1. Hayne
2. Inu
3. Reddy
4. Smith
5. Grothe
6. Keating
7. Finch (not that I rate him at all but there is no doubt he will picked)
8. Cayless
9. Keating
10. Moi Moi
11. Hindy
12. Hauraki
13. Mateo

14. Paolo
15. Horo
16. Lowrie
17. Cordoba / Wright / Latimore

There is an option for KK to be the second hooker. Play the extra backrower and Mateo can shift to 5/8 for stints.

Some of these guys you have to pick because they are in the TOp 25 but IMO at a more ruthless club (Rooster, Cronulla) would have been released or encouraged to look elsewhere (ie Finch, Burt, Cordoba, Gulavao, possibly Cayless and Paolo and Weller on very strict notice).

I think there is a huge amount of salary cap being used on those blokes who offer very little value for money. because there have been so many under-performers out of a top 25 no club has the depth to replace them from below. They need to be replaced from the outside.

Hagan's recruiting retention and cap management has been FAR worse than his coaching. And that wasn't real flash.

Just need the 09 coach to be appointed ASAP so he can start planning for 2010 before it's too late.

My preferred side would be:

1. Hayne
2. Inu
3. Reddy
4. Smith
5. Grothe
6. Keating
7. Finch (not that I rate him at all but there is no doubt he will picked)
8. Cayless
9. Keating
10. Moi Moi
11. Hindy
12. Hauraki
13. Mateo

14. Paolo
15. Horo
16. Lowrie
17. Cordoba / Wright / Latimore

There is an option for KK to be the second hooker. Play the extra backrower and Mateo can shift to 5/8 for stints.

Some of these guys you have to pick because they are in the TOp 25 but IMO at a more ruthless club (Rooster, Cronulla) would have been released or encouraged to look elsewhere (ie Finch, Burt, Cordoba, Gulavao, possibly Cayless and Paolo and Weller on very strict notice).

I think there is a huge amount of salary cap being used on those blokes who offer very little value for money. because there have been so many under-performers out of a top 25 no club has the depth to replace them from below. They need to be replaced from the outside.

Hagan's recruiting retention and cap management has been FAR worse than his coaching. And that wasn't real flash.

Just need the 09 coach to be appointed ASAP so he can start planning for 2010 before it's too late.

Well that's the thing If Hagan is not going to be around in 2010 then cut him now. Otherwise, No good telling him in the middle of next year as he will probably get disenchanted. This will affect the team.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Well that's the thing If Hagan is not going to be around in 2010 then cut him now. Otherwise, No good telling him in the middle of next year as he will probably get disenchanted. This will affect the team.

slight problem Jake...$$$$$$$ or lack of it to do so.

HevyDevy

Coach
Provided Grothe continues to show signs that he wants to play first grade again and performs at least okay, he has to be in the NRL side.

You can't afford to have genuine game-breakers playing NSW Cup. Warranted this year but I want him back in 2009.

Stagger eel

Staff member

1.Hayne
2.Etu
4.INU
5.Grothe
6. Keating
7. Finch
9. Keating
10. Paulo
11. Hindmarsh
13. Mateo

14.Kingston -
15.Fui Fui

not a bad side and the crucial thing will be how our coach and players will respond to the off season, this will arguebly be our most important in memory.

on your selection.

* I believe there are 4 wingers vying for 2 spots and Etu has shown me that he's definitely up there and will challenge Burt, Grothe and Reddy for a spot.

* To get the best out of Ben Smith, he must be fit, if not than he's paper weight however I have no doubt in the world that we're a better side with a fit Ben Smith there.

* no arguements about halves combo and I even think that KK will be better for this years run.

* I would pull Weller aside and tell him that he really needs to roll his sleaves up and lead our pack from the front, he has the ability but does he have the drive?? I'd give him a go first up and play Horo of the bench but don't discount Lowrie, Gulavao, Wright and Oake, especially lowrie who's been one of our most consistant forwards in the last 4 weeks of the comp and has shown all of us that he's a better player than what we're making out.

* Caylo has no excuses this year last year he didn't have an off season and only really started contact training a week or 2 before the start of the premiership, not great preperation for a bloke of his vintage.

slight problem Jake...$$$$$$$ or lack of it to do so.

They have to bite the bullet now. Sure it will be a fair bit of $$$$ to cut hagan and his staff atm. But It will be much worse for the club if the crowds are lower and season tickets renewals are low.

I don't mind Hagan but the club has to make it's mind up now and not before the start of next season or in the middle of the season. It doesn't make sense. Players and coach will not be focussing on the footy untill they know what is happening.

And if they want to cut him DO IT NOW.