What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Team for 2009

Stagger eel

Staff member
They have to bite the bullet now. Sure it will be a fair bit of $$$$ to cut hagan and his staff atm. But It will be much worse for the club if the crowds are lower and season tickets renewals are low.

I don't mind Hagan but the club has to make it's mind up now and not before the start of next season or in the middle of the season. It doesn't make sense. Players and coach will not be focussing on the footy untill they know what is happening.

And if they want to cut him DO IT NOW.

you'd be surprised at the amount of people that would agree with you, including myself, however I'm continually told that not that they don't want to be but they just can't afford to..

I know jack sh*t. However I have a feeling and my feeling is that there will be some type of announcement before pre-season training starts. From memory it happened to Brian Smith in 2005. We choked in the preliminary final. Soon after Brian Smith was told that his contract would not be renewed.

There is a Bit of conjecture about when Brian was told and when they actually let the Press and Players Know.

you'd be surprised at the amount of people that would agree with you, including myself, however I'm continually told that not that they don't want to be but they just can't afford to..

Someone should tell them to look at the Long term damage because the long term damage will far out weigh short term $$$$ damage. Trust me.

If parra make the wrong desicions now, It will take 5 year recovery. And the way the economy is now. People are finding excuses not waste money going to football games. And if our team is not playing well, our supporters don't show up. We'll probably won't have a club in 5 years.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Someone should tell them to look at the Long term damage because the long term damage will far out weigh short term $$$$ damage. Trust me.

If parra make the wrong desicions now, It will take 5 year recovery. And the way the economy is now. People are finding excuses not waste money going to football games. And if our team is not playing well, our supporters don't show up. We'll probably won't have a club in 5 years.

I do agree with you and I'm not trying to make excuses but I don't think it will take 5 years to recover from it but I do believe it will be another wasted year..

cb4

First Grade
justin horo, man, i never thought i would hear that name being mentioned for nrl
i played back in the under 14's/15's with him, he was completely over shadowed by the gun kids in our team
justin was solid, like a dallas johnson, make a thousand tackles n never complain
could score a try, and he tried to tel everyone he was a goal k8icker but that never panned out lol
so what is he like now??

spiderdan

Bench
With Riddell and then Mateo injured there wasn't much choice.

Horo can cover centre and backrow. You can always push Mateo back to 5/8 and either Keating or Finch into hooker if it came to that. No need for a second hooker.
my exact thoughts mate.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm not so sure, wasn't that impressed in 2008 despite the fact that some on here rate him very highly.

the kid is only 19 Hevy, he'll be better for the run, he's a born footballer who will only improve.

only problem is that I'm concerned about the guidence players like him, Mannah, Tautai and the like are getting at the moment.

HevyDevy

Coach
I'm certainly not writing him off mate, just suggesting that a few people on here thought he went better than he actually did.

Matt, on the other hand, was very impressive I thought.

Bigfella

Coach

Couldn't agree more. For morale purposes it has been proven a disaster (2005).

Equally for retention and recruitment. No one is in charge in the limbo year, resulting in no active recruitment, and retention of dead wood.

I can almost understand why a responsible board would be reluctant to throw away $400k (although agree with Jake it is a false economy).

But if as expected they don't renew Hagan, but don't sack him immediately, they must appoint the best available candidate and ensure he is in a position to start planning for 2010 immediately. They must also strip Hagan of any powers of extending or recruiting (or if he has anyone in mind the board and the incoming coach must approve it).

Anything less will be incompetence of the highest order.

HevyDevy

Coach
Well if they inform Hagan he isn't needed beyond 2009 then he won't have any say in recruitment/retention anyway.

Hmmmm ... I'd love to see DA reunite his former left side of Meli, Toopi and Lauitiiti at Parramatta ...

bartman

Immortal
There is a Bit of conjecture about when Brian was told and when they actually let the Press and Players Know.
Surely it seems they let Brian know he wouldn't be renewed in October/November before his overseas trip, and before any public announcement. It all makes sense when you look at reports of Brian's behind the scenes behaviour at the time, and the disorganised off-season that followed.

I presume the players were told sometime between November and the public announcements, and expect a similar arrangement to be taking place now with Hagan the first/only to know his future, and then the club goes to players and finally to public - hopefully this time learning from their mistake and having secured their successor and made arrangements for who is handling recruitment/retention in-between.

bartman

Immortal
Hmmmm ... I'd love to see DA reunite his former left side of Meli, Toopi and Lauitiiti at Parramatta ...
If they were the same age they were five years ago, I'd agree. I'm happy with what DA did with building and maintaining his St Helens team, that I believe he could do the same with us, given charge or recruitment/retention a year in advance.

HevyDevy

Coach
:lol:

I wasn't actually proposing it, just have fond memories of that Warriors side.

But yes, Daniel has proven himself a success everywhere he has been and certainly has a far greater technical knowledge of the game as well than all but a few of the elite coaches around.

yy_cheng

Coach
If Hagan selects Burt, Etu, Wright or Tautai on the wing ahead of Grothe (which I think he will) it will confirm to me how little idea he has.

I don;t see why anyone thinks an off season will change Hagan's priorities of "last in has priority" except in relation to Ben Smith - now that he has officially blamed the poor season on Ben's injury.

In the forwards he will have no choice but I really expect starting and FG experience to be given priority, in line with his usual strategy. I reckon he'll pick:

1. Hayne
2. Reddy / Tautai
3. Inu
4. Smith
5. Burt
6. Keating
7. Finch
8. Cayless
9. Keating
10. Moi Moi
11. Hauraki
12. Hindmarsh
13. Mateo

14. Paolo
15. Cordoba
16 Gulavao
17. Kingston

He may even start Joe ahead of Weller.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I reckon he'll be thinking

Tautai
Wright
Oak
Grothe

to be next in line

to
I think that will be his starting side except either Gulavao or Kingston will be replaced by the Tood.