What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 favorite gigs

bileduct

Coach
Did any of you f**ks see The Tea Party last week?

I gotta update my list with the Brisbane show as #1.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Rage against the machine 2008 BDO, was great, collapsed in the mosh after running out of energy due to having to jostle for a spot for 3 hours.

Flaming lips BDO 2004, splendour 10. Always an awesome show, basically a big psychedelic circus.

Killers 2006 - saw them at their peak with Sams town album tour, great energy.

Roger waters 2012 - echoing what someone said earlier - built the wall during the show, awesome visuals.

The strokes 04 BDO. Back when they gave a shit.

Honourable mentions: pj 06, the hives splendour 11, Florence splendour 11, Neil Young 09, Kendrick Lamar 14 (was backing for Eminem but put on a better show), qotsa 03 bdo

Disappointments:

the vines 03, Craig Nichols went full wanker and ruined the set. Streams of people filing out of the mosh.

My chemical romance BDO 10 - not a fan of that music but don't mind them for some reason, anyway their sound sucked really bad and they broke up 6 months later or thereabouts.

Regina spektor - tried hard to like her and while her albums are ok, live she is as charismatic as wet cardboard. Turned up, sat at the piano, played for an hour and acknowledged the audience maybe twice? Then abruptly left. Was 45mins late and no encore, f**k you Regina.

Rhcp 07 - frusciante carried the f**king show, kiedis had bronchitis and flea was subdued. Hearing frusciante perform maybe live is special though, crazy vocal projection.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Two the gigs from the old days,

Stranglers at the Stagedoor Tavern 1979 - Great show accompanied by about six huge dudes dressed in black leather who arrived some time after the show started. Most over 6 foot 6 and about 110 kgs plus, they commenced belting the f**k out of anyone who was in their way. Calmly left a few minutes later while the band played on. Amazingly, one of my mates slept through the whole show, The Tavern reminded me of the Tivoli at Hurstville, Nothing more than a refurbished underground carpark - great for sound quality......not.

Magazine/The Cure at the Bexley North Hotel 1980 - just before the release of the Cures' second album 17 Seconds, Great performances from both bands prompting me to go out the next day and buy whatever vinyl of their's that was available,

Generalzod

Immortal

Stranglers at the Stagedoor Tavern 1979 - Great show accompanied by about six huge dudes dressed in black leather who arrived some time after the show started. Most over 6 foot 6 and about 110 kgs plus, they commenced belting the f**k out of anyone who was in their way. Calmly left a few minutes later while the band played on. Amazingly, one of my mates slept through the whole show, The Tavern reminded me of the Tivoli at Hurstville, Nothing more than a refurbished underground carpark - great for sound quality......not.

Magazine/The Cure at the Bexley North Hotel 1980 - just before the release of the Cures' second album 17 Seconds, Great performances from both bands prompting me to go out the next day and buy whatever vinyl of their's that was available,
Many people tell you that their your friends....Better watch out for the skin deep.lol

LESStar58

Referee

That 2nd one! That would have been the tits!

Someone mentioned BDO 99...Korn, Marilyn Manson...awesome day.

Anyway. Here's a few. I can't narrow it down. Self indulgent.

Tea Party - Enmore 1999

Garbage - Hordern 2002 BDO SIDESHOW

The Killers - 2006 Ent Cent

The Killers - 2013 The Metro.

Pet Shop Boys - Carriageworks as part of Vivid 2014

Jesus Jones - Enmore 2011
I am a huge fan. This was them coming back. Seen em again since and just adore them.

Psychedlic Furs (religious experience ) with Ratcat support. Enmore 2006. Both great. Simon Day used to chat with me early 00s when I worked at Borders Macquarie Centre.

Walk The Moon - Oxford Art Theatre 2015

Gypsy and the Cat - Apple Store Bondo 2012

Regurgitator Gosford Leagues 1999 (was actually wearing the tour shirt yesterday).

Most Placebo tours.

We Are Scientists every tour. Always so much fun.

You Am I - Homebake 1998 killed it. Absolutely slayed em. Came on under big top in driving rain after Skunkhour bald merkin singer chucked a tanty.

Def Leppard Acer 2008. My wife had discovered she was pregnant the day before. She got woozy and had to be sat down. Next thing Phil Collen is strutting out and soloing right in front of her giving her a wink. Flmao.

Alice Cooper a few times. 2001 or 02 at Acer if memory serves. f**king loud and hard as f**k.

The Cure Ent Cent 2000.

Pearl Jam 1998.

The Whitlams LongJetty Hotel 1998.

Queen Hungarian Rhapsody at Event Cinema with my son in 2012. Close as we were ever gonna get lol.

Death Cab For Cutie. A few times. Opera House 2015 was pretty good.

Extreme 1993. Nuno was awesome.

Silversun Pickups Annandale 2007.

One I wish...Queen Wembley 1986. And GnR Eastern Creek and Metallica both 1993, Poison 1989, Alice Cooper and Aerosmith 1990. Roxette the last time.
The Police 2008 - friend had tickets she won and was giving to me until someone offered her $800 the pair. I couldn't take them then. Any AC DC. Thought theyd go forever.

Michael Penn on the bucket list. My kids have just got in to Kiss. I hope there's a next time.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Olivia Newton John at the State theatre in 2003, had waited for years for her to do a solo gig in Australia instead of things like the main event with Johnny Farnham so got my wish in 2003, saw her at the entertainment centre first and the concert was good and even though I was in the 4th row the concert was somewhat lost a bit in a such a big venue but a few weeks later in the more intimate State Theatre, she had every one eating out of the palm of her hands , engaging with the audience, such a beautiful woman and her voice was in fine form, great seats in the second row.

Cyndi Lauper also at the State Theatre, I think it was 2003 also, second row again, what a performer, so much energy, totally zany and wasn't afraid to change the running order of her songs which confused the band members a bit, she was dancing on the speakers, dancing on the chairs with the audience, just such a great night.

Olivia again at the Opera House in 2012, she was so good with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra and she included a nice tribute to Davey Jones from the Monkee's when she sung Day Dream Believer.

Russell Morris at the Camelot Lounge Marrickville 2017, what a performance, what a venue, Russell sang a few more recent songs but did play most of his old classics, his voice in Wings Of An Eagle and Sweet Sweet Love was better than the original recordings, the Real Thing was almost as good too and he did such a great version of Its All Over Now Baby Blue. I was expecting a good show, I got so much more, cant wait to see him again.

Diana Ross, the Entertainment Centre 1989, wow what a performer, absolutely stunning walking around amongst the audience shaking their hands, her costumes were amazing and she had the huge tube that came down in the middle of the stage for the costume change. So hope she does another tour of Australia, had tickets to see her in the Hunter Valley quite a few years ago but the concert got washed out.

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Russell Morris at the Camelot Lounge Marrickville 2017, what a performance, what a venue, Russell sang a few more recent songs but did play most of his old classics, his voice in Wings Of An Eagle and Sweet Sweet Love was better than the original recordings, the Real Thing was almost as good too and he did such a great version of Its All Over Now Baby Blue. I was expecting a good show, I got so much more, cant wait to see him again.
Wow.....just wow!

I've always considered Russell Morris to be criminally under appreciated in Australian music,

LESStar58

Referee
Psychedlic Furs (religious experience ) with Ratcat support. Enmore 2006. Both great. Simon Day used to chat with me early 00s when I worked at Borders Macquarie Centre.

Dude!!!!!! What the actual f**k?!?! You were a Borders Book Slave?!?!??!

Guess what; so was I! Worked at South Yarra when they first opened and stayed there until 2009.

Dude!!!!!! What the actual f**k?!?! You were a Borders Book Slave?!?!??!

Guess what; so was I! Worked at South Yarra when they first opened and stayed there until 2009.

Yeah. I was there for Borders grand opening back in April/May 2000. 1st in Sydney and 2nd in Australia. There until 2002. Met my wife there too. Did a couple of weeks in Jam Factory ( the boss J Rushton was from Melbourne ) and Auckland for training. Even after I left to go to UK and came back, always popped in to a Borders. Now all gone sadly.

Loved staff and family discount day. Was and am a CD whore and in the early days their US back catalogue came over priced really, really cheap.

azzah72

Bench
There's so many big and small but I think the one that stands out for me, merely due to it being completely unplanned AND a secret show was 2003, Regurgitator, Grinspoon & Jebadiah Secret show @ the Gaelic Club in Sydney on a random Wednesday night.

Immense.

bileduct

Coach
Tea Party - Enmore 1999
f**k yeah! What was the, Triptych tour? They'd developed a pretty strong set list by then. One thing I've always liked about them is that they didn't let their new albums dominate their live shows. They'll only play around 4 or so new songs each time they tour an album, the rest is all classic material.

Oh, and top FIVE gigs, asshole! Jesus...

f**k yeah! What was the, Triptych tour? They'd developed a pretty strong set list by then. One thing I've always liked about them is that they didn't let their new albums dominate their live shows. They'll only play around 4 or so new songs each time they tour an album, the rest is all classic material.

Oh, and top FIVE gigs, asshole! Jesus...

I took an older mate to that gig.

He wasn't here nor there before the gig. Afterwards, he was in raptures.

Tea Party were in fine form on the tour.

skeepe

Immortal
Ooh I like this topic.

1. Social Distortion, Greek Theatre, Los Angeles CA, 2015. Being at the front of the mosh pit at The Greek watching the master Mike Ness do his thing on my birthday - how do you top that? You can’t.

2. The Living End/The Casanovas/Gyroscope, Coogee Bay Hotel, 2003. What a lineup! Gyroscope were relatively new but blew the roof off the place, The Casanova’s were straight out balls to the wall rock and roll and TLE at the top of their game, what a night!

3. Deep Purple/Status Quo, Royal Theatre Canberra, 200?. They may be old, but they still had it that night. Some childhood dreams finally realised.

4. Metallica, Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, 2011. Dyers Eve live? Wow! Great night.

5. Jebediah/Area 7, ANU Refectory, 1998. Will always be a special one for me, my first gig at 15. Two of my favourite Aussie bands of the era.

1. Static-X headline show circa 2005 at the roundhouse. Greatest show I've ever been to, Wayne Static was phenomenal live, the atmosphere was electric with the energy he gave off.
2. Killswitch Engage around 2009/2010 horden pavilion. One of the tightest sets I've ever seen.
3. Metallica 2011 at Acer Arena. My favourite band growing up, finally got to see them live and it was probably just behind Static-X
4. Spandau Ballet 2010/2011 at the Entertainment Centre. Tony Hadley still sounds as good as he did when they were in their prime.
5. Crowded House 2010 at the Entertainment Centre. For such a large venue it felt like quite an intimate affair, Neil Finn played very well to a large venue.