What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top 8 and Grand Final Pick

Smug Panther

First Grade
We need to face facts, and many on here were tipping we make the 8 and my ‘surprise’ this year. I see us as bottom 4 at best,. The dreaded spoon will be a disaster on our 100th year and media will have field day. Unfortunately most of this pain is all self inflicted by the Club, and reasons behind that are well documented on here for the last 10 years or so...
22nd year*

possm

Coach
I still have faith in Griffins ability to turn things around and believe that if we have a lot of luck go our way, we have a good chance of making the top 4. To do this I believe we need the following:
Fullback
By round 5 we need Ramsey at fullback. Our chances rely on our custodian being able to be strong in our last line of defence.

Wingers
We need two quick and reliable wingers who can find the line. I am confident Matt Feagai to left Wing and Ravalawa to right wing will be the wingers we settle on.

Centres
Although I am sure our we will start with Bird on the left and Lomax on the right, once Bird is match fit and confident, I believe he will move to the right edge in the forwards. I am tipping Max Feagai to be our left centre long term.

Halves
Griffin has stated he wants to start with Norman and Hunt in the halves. Well in round 1 it will be Hunt and Clune given that Norman is suspended and Sullivan is injured however, I have very little doubt that we will end up with a Hunt / Sullivan halves combination that will be the talk of the competition.

Lock
To have any chance of even making the top 8, we will need De Belin at lock. If De Belin becomes unavailable, season 2021 will be a season preparing for 2022.

Edge Forwards
Although I have little doubt that in the early rounds our edge forwards will be Sims and Ford, once Bird is match fit and confident in his knee, he will move to the right edge.

Props
We are desperate for a big strong top grade prop to lead our pack of forwards but for now we will need to work with the players we have however, to make the top 4 it is essential that recruitment secure such a prop by round 5. I am tipping that there will be chopping and changes to our run on prop combinations and that Vaughan's mortgage on 10 jumper is not a given. However, we will most probably start with Vaughan and Kerr in the early rounds and then hopefully run with the new prop and Vaughan long term. Until then our bench will need to be stacked with at least 3 forwards who can play in the prop position and one of which who can play in the backrow as well. So my bench would be Alvaro, Faamausili and Lawrie in the early rounds. Griffin is likely to experiment with a number of different players in the utility role.

Hooker
I was very surprise that Griffin did not appont McCullough as captain of the side but I an sure baring injury, McCullough will be our run on hooker for 2021 and will surprisingly be very effective in that role.

So even though I previously decline to select my top 8 until the first few rounds were completed, I can't resist the urge to have a punt now but reserve the right to change my mind by the end of round 5. So here we go:

Top 8
1. Souths
2. Penrith
3. Easts
4. St George Illawarra
5. Melbourne
6. Warriors
7. Canterbury
8. Canberra

Grand Final
Souths v St George Illawarra

No QLD teams in the top 8. Manly and Cronulla to fight it out for the wooden spoon.

Dragons154

Juniors
I’m expecting the team to improve over the course of the season, any position in the top 10 would be considered a good year at this point.

Crush

Coach
I still have faith in Griffins ability to turn things around and believe that if we have a lot of luck go our way, we have a good chance of making the top 4. To do this I believe we need the following:
Fullback
By round 5 we need Ramsey at fullback. Our chances rely on our custodian being able to be strong in our last line of defence.

Wingers
We need two quick and reliable wingers who can find the line. I am confident Matt Feagai to left Wing and Ravalawa to right wing will be the wingers we settle on.

Centres
Although I am sure our we will start with Bird on the left and Lomax on the right, once Bird is match fit and confident, I believe he will move to the right edge in the forwards. I am tipping Max Feagai to be our left centre long term.

Halves
Griffin has stated he wants to start with Norman and Hunt in the halves. Well in round 1 it will be Hunt and Clune given that Norman is suspended and Sullivan is injured however, I have very little doubt that we will end up with a Hunt / Sullivan halves combination that will be the talk of the competition.

Lock
To have any chance of even making the top 8, we will need De Belin at lock. If De Belin becomes unavailable, season 2021 will be a season preparing for 2022.

Edge Forwards
Although I have little doubt that in the early rounds our edge forwards will be Sims and Ford, once Bird is match fit and confident in his knee, he will move to the right edge.

Props
We are desperate for a big strong top grade prop to lead our pack of forwards but for now we will need to work with the players we have however, to make the top 4 it is essential that recruitment secure such a prop by round 5. I am tipping that there will be chopping and changes to our run on prop combinations and that Vaughan's mortgage on 10 jumper is not a given. However, we will most probably start with Vaughan and Kerr in the early rounds and then hopefully run with the new prop and Vaughan long term. Until then our bench will need to be stacked with at least 3 forwards who can play in the prop position and one of which who can play in the backrow as well. So my bench would be Alvaro, Faamausili and Lawrie in the early rounds. Griffin is likely to experiment with a number of different players in the utility role.

Hooker
I was very surprise that Griffin did not appont McCullough as captain of the side but I an sure baring injury, McCullough will be our run on hooker for 2021 and will surprisingly be very effective in that role.

So even though I previously decline to select my top 8 until the first few rounds were completed, I can't resist the urge to have a punt now but reserve the right to change my mind by the end of round 5. So here we go:

Top 8
1. Souths
2. Penrith
3. Easts
4. St George Illawarra
5. Melbourne
6. Warriors
7. Canterbury
8. Canberra

Grand Final

No QLD teams in the top 8. Manly and Cronulla to fight it out for the wooden spoon.
You have a wonderful imagination Possm! Love it.

Crush

Coach
Canberra
Penrith
Rabbits
Roosters
Storm
Parra
Tigers
Broncos

GF Raiders vs Penrith

gregstar

Referee
I reckon it will be a Rorters / LOL@50uff$ grand final.

Or maybe Rorters / Smiths...... For something different.

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
Fullback

Wingers

Centres

Halves

Lock

Edge Forwards

Props

Hooker

Top 8
1. Souths
2. Penrith
3. Easts
4. St George Illawarra
5. Melbourne
6. Warriors
7. Canterbury
8. Canberra

Grand Final

Schiller scores the winning try in the GF
- from a cutout Dufty pass from 5/8.
Rav had a blinder with a double from the bench.
Sullivan dominated from 7
The Feagais were all over the leg-weary Morris bros
& Uncle Nick retired in disgust on Mad Monday

And Sportsbet had them at $51 in March FFS Possm!

Wittenberg

Juniors
Love Possm’s optimism and some of his positional predictions but cannot see us finishing in the 8. I have never thought the spoon a chance before but there is a danger this year with us having one of the weakest packs in the competition. I know Hook will make an impact but the current cattle, apart from a few notable exceptions, are either average or reasonably inexperienced. I think Ramsey will eventually be a fullback, but his defence is not strong either......