1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Your Top 8 and Grand Final Pick

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by mickeylane, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

22nd year*

2. possm

possm Coach

I still have faith in Griffins ability to turn things around and believe that if we have a lot of luck go our way, we have a good chance of making the top 4. To do this I believe we need the following:
    Fullback
    By round 5 we need Ramsey at fullback. Our chances rely on our custodian being able to be strong in our last line of defence.

Wingers
    We need two quick and reliable wingers who can find the line. I am confident Matt Feagai to left Wing and Ravalawa to right wing will be the wingers we settle on.

Centres
    Although I am sure our we will start with Bird on the left and Lomax on the right, once Bird is match fit and confident, I believe he will move to the right edge in the forwards. I am tipping Max Feagai to be our left centre long term.

Halves
    Griffin has stated he wants to start with Norman and Hunt in the halves. Well in round 1 it will be Hunt and Clune given that Norman is suspended and Sullivan is injured however, I have very little doubt that we will end up with a Hunt / Sullivan halves combination that will be the talk of the competition.

Lock
    To have any chance of even making the top 8, we will need De Belin at lock. If De Belin becomes unavailable, season 2021 will be a season preparing for 2022.

Edge Forwards
    Although I have little doubt that in the early rounds our edge forwards will be Sims and Ford, once Bird is match fit and confident in his knee, he will move to the right edge.

Props
    We are desperate for a big strong top grade prop to lead our pack of forwards but for now we will need to work with the players we have however, to make the top 4 it is essential that recruitment secure such a prop by round 5. I am tipping that there will be chopping and changes to our run on prop combinations and that Vaughan's mortgage on 10 jumper is not a given. However, we will most probably start with Vaughan and Kerr in the early rounds and then hopefully run with the new prop and Vaughan long term. Until then our bench will need to be stacked with at least 3 forwards who can play in the prop position and one of which who can play in the backrow as well. So my bench would be Alvaro, Faamausili and Lawrie in the early rounds. Griffin is likely to experiment with a number of different players in the utility role.

Hooker
    I was very surprise that Griffin did not appont McCullough as captain of the side but I an sure baring injury, McCullough will be our run on hooker for 2021 and will surprisingly be very effective in that role.

So even though I previously decline to select my top 8 until the first few rounds were completed, I can't resist the urge to have a punt now but reserve the right to change my mind by the end of round 5. So here we go:

Top 8
    1. Souths
    2. Penrith
    3. Easts
    4. St George Illawarra
    5. Melbourne
    6. Warriors
    7. Canterbury
    8. Canberra

Grand Final
    Souths v St George Illawarra

No QLD teams in the top 8. Manly and Cronulla to fight it out for the wooden spoon.

3. Dragons154

Dragons154 Juniors

I’m expecting the team to improve over the course of the season, any position in the top 10 would be considered a good year at this point.

4. Crush

Crush First Grade

You have a wonderful imagination Possm! Love it.

Kylez3 likes this.
  5. Crush

Crush First Grade

Canberra
    Penrith
    Rabbits
    Roosters
    Storm
    Parra
    Tigers
    Broncos

GF Raiders vs Penrith

6. gregstar

gregstar Referee

I reckon it will be a Rorters / [email protected]$ grand final.

Or maybe Rorters / Smiths...... For something different.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Gareth67 likes this.
  7. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

Schiller scores the winning try in the GF
    - from a cutout Dufty pass from 5/8.
    Rav had a blinder with a double from the bench.
    Sullivan dominated from 7
    The Feagais were all over the leg-weary Morris bros
    & Uncle Nick retired in disgust on Mad Monday

And Sportsbet had them at $51 in March FFS Possm!

George Sancti, possm and Gareth67 like this.
  8. Wittenberg

Wittenberg Juniors

Love Possm’s optimism and some of his positional predictions but cannot see us finishing in the 8. I have never thought the spoon a chance before but there is a danger this year with us having one of the weakest packs in the competition. I know Hook will make an impact but the current cattle, apart from a few notable exceptions, are either average or reasonably inexperienced. I think Ramsey will eventually be a fullback, but his defence is not strong either......

Gareth67 likes this.