What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yow Yeh's Ankle

POPEYE

Coach
My ankle was f**ked to the same extent 45 years ago and the worst is yet to come for the bloke I'm afraid, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy . . . even more rotten luck when someone has talent to burn

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
A real shame for Yow Yeh.

I cannot split the Tony Caine off a Steve Price chargedown injury and Jharal's for worst looking on-field injury ever. Best of wishes for the future.

George Rose and Taniela Tuiaki also had sickening ankle breaks. It boggles the mind that Rose managed to come back as well as he has.

My ankle was f**ked to the same extent 45 years ago and the worst is yet to come for the bloke I'm afraid, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy . . . even more rotten luck when someone has talent to burn

f**k that must have hurt. I've had a few bad sprains but that would be something else entirely.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade

I mashed my right tibia (shinbone) into five separate pieces of bone while snow skiing in NZ in September 1983. The x-ray looked like a road map.

Spent 22 weeks in plaster without any plates, screws or pins but managed to learn to walk again after 6 weeks rehabilitation. Back again playing soccer in April 1984.

Bones heal but severely damaged tendons and ligaments rarely do.

Yow Yeh's injury must have been horrendous or the surgeons stuffed up.

_Johnsy

Referee
This is true. At least he got to see the heighest levels of Rugby League

Lots of talented players never make it past Toyota Cup because of injuries

Adam Ritson springs to mind, in comparison I'd say Yow Yeh wouldn't be that bummed. Shame for the bloke though. To me Yow Yeh & K Stanley are fairly inspirational.

POPEYE

Coach
A real shame for Yow Yeh.

George Rose and Taniela Tuiaki also had sickening ankle breaks. It boggles the mind that Rose managed to come back as well as he has.

f**k that must have hurt. I've had a few bad sprains but that would be something else entirely.

Worst part was I was full of piss and blind as a bat, the driver copped 110 stiches to the face, his brother in the middle exactly half as many without pain relief. My ankle bits were rearranged 3 times without anaesthetic before they were happy and we all had to feign unconsciousness when the cops came to breathalyse us.

All that f**king trivia is nothing when comparing 3 pissheads on a self inflicted punishment spree to a champion footballer that doesn't deserve what he got

wibble

Bench
Yeah, bad luck for Yow Yeh. Wish him the best in the future.

He was a great player for a short time, and I guess no one can take that from him.

It also reminds us just how tough the sport is and the players at the top levels are gifted athletes and tough hombres, and Yow Yeh was (and is) both.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Such a tragedy.

Would have played 75+ rep games for Qld/Australia.

The most talented pure winger I've seen in my time. He would have been THAT good imo.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would suggest all is not lost.....so young....

Could easily take a coaching role for 4 years.....

Then re assess. Perhaps it can repair.....so young....

some11

Referee
I had resigned myself to him not playing again, I mean to be able to walk pain free would be the goal if it happened to any of us.

He'll be great to have around the club in an off-field role though, helping guys through injury and rehab would be invaluable.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I would suggest all is not lost.....so young....

Could easily take a coaching role for 4 years.....

Then re assess. Perhaps it can repair.....so young....

It was a really nasty break with trauma to the tissue around it. At this stage it's just like Simon Dwyer - getting back to full strength and mobility while minimising pain is the goal. Rugby league doesn't matter much compared to this.

man2iel_

Juniors
Such a tragedy.

Would have played 75+ rep games for Qld/Australia.

The most talented pure winger I've seen in my time. He would have been THAT good imo.

Big call Tommy, though no one can doubt the talent of Yow-Yeh. This retirement hurts this Broncos fan. As a player he was superb though a true test of character is when you have been knocked down. Yow Yeh tried to get back up on more than one occasion. At the young age of 24 Yow Yeh commands respect from all in rugby league. Sad to see injury force him out of the game.

morley101

Juniors
Now that players are paid 100% of their contract if they are forced into retirement by injury. Does this count against the club's salary cap ?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Kid handled himself beautifully at the retirement announcement as well. Classy young bloke and the highlights on 360 last night reminded me how good he was. The catch and grubber in one movement he scored from that they showed was brilliant.

Also makes you wonder where he would've ended up. Talent like that doesn't stay on the wing.

Classy by the broncs to keep paying him as well.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Now that players are paid 100% of their contract if they are forced into retirement by injury. Does this count against the club's salary cap ?

Surely in instances like this it wouldn't count. At least id hope it wouldn't count against the cap.

Last edited:

Latest posts