What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax in Kangaroos train-on squad

Super Owl

Juniors
When i look at the PM X111's squad I still cant get my head around how Sloan is the fullback and M Molo is on the bench amongst mostly origin / test players.
The Tigers fullback, Averillo or even Laurie goes better???
I know that is what Mal wanted but I thought it was for experience only
Does not matter I will keep scratching my head.

Apparently you had to rule yourself available. Maybe a bunch of those guys decided to go to Waikiki instead of Ela Beach!

since77

Juniors
I think it’s clear that Sloan has a whole load of upside. Of course the obvious deficiencies on the other side of the ball. Attack can be electric and true X factor. Big challenge is whether the defensive side of the game can be improved. I think he‘s worth a shot on the wing for a season if Flanno can fix his defence.

BLM01

First Grade
I think it’s clear that Sloan has a whole load of upside. Of course the obvious deficiencies on the other side of the ball. Attack can be electric and true X factor. Big challenge is whether the defensive side of the game can be improved. I think he‘s worth a shot on the wing for a season if Flanno can fix his defence.
Agree but not wing. I just want to know who taught him to arm grab or try and reef the ball out when someone is flying through at speed as a last line of defence or in protecting your try line instead of a legs or shoulder tackle.

That said there must be 20 centres in front of him in terms of playing for OZ.
He'd not have made the PM and Kangaroo train on sides if that was the case. Also made every post a winner in the PM match by topping the team running metres, made some good plays, tackled strongly and nailed his goal kicks. He has now made a strong claim to be in the Kangaroo side.

Last edited:
Agree but not wing. I just want to know who taught him to arm grab or try and reef the ball out when someone is flying through at speed as a last line of defence or in protecting your try line instead of a legs or shoulder tackle.
Agree not wing until he beefs up at the least. Been saying the same about his weak attempts at tackling a runaway player. Must have had a poor defense coach in junior reps is all I can say. Flanno will turn this flaw on its head as he has promised to give Tyrell hell in the off season, even having boxing and wrestling drills to get some mongrel into his game. He also needs a expert defense coach to drill into him a correct tackle technique.

Last edited:
Aussie Schoolboys, which included the Dragons trio of Jacob Halanagahu, Loko Jr and Finau Latu, overcame some second stanza spirit by the Junior Kumuls to snatch a late victory yesterday. There is a full replay on the NRL site.

Last edited:
Aussie Schoolboys, which included the Dragons trio of Jacob Halanagahu, Loko Jr and Finau Latu, overcame some late spirit by the Junior Kumuls to run out close winners yesterday. There is a full replay on the NRL site.
Strong games by Jacob, Loko Jr and Finau, these blokes have powerful leg drive and bring energy and impact to their game, even some ball skills, specially Loko Jr when he laid on the money ball with the finess of a play maker that led to the winner. Our other rep, Steelers junior Hayden Buchanan did his job as distributor and in defense at @14 tho he needed to run far more than he did.

Last edited:
Doubt whether the Junior Roos halves pairing of Riley Pollard and Lachlan Galvin have the required game management to lead the Kangaroos in the future. Other than our four, the standouts were centre Logan Aoake, prop De La Salle Va'a, wing Nikora Williams, bench forward Cody Hopwood.
The best for the Junior Kumals was their livewire hooker. Take a squizz at his performance Flanno.

Last edited:

Victoire

Juniors

In case you haven't heard this. Obviously nice to hear Zac and some of the other leaders (including Su'a) returning to pre-season training earlier than they're required to. Very encouraging stuff. Lomax is confident about the future but he didn't articulate his reasons all that well - didn't persuade me anyway.

But the most interesting thing, I thought, was the chat about Flanagan's ideas for the team's attacking structure. He apparently wants to employ a "swing shape" a la the Warriors and Sharks.

Parko1310

Juniors

In case you haven't heard this. Obviously nice to hear Zac and some of the other leaders (including Su'a) returning to pre-season training earlier than they're required to. Very encouraging stuff. Lomax is confident about the future but he didn't articulate his reasons all that well - didn't persuade me anyway.

But the most interesting thing, I thought, was the chat about Flanagan's ideas for the team's attacking structure. He apparently wants to employ a "swing shape" a la the Warriors and Sharks.
That was the most exciting thing I heard for Lomax as an individual player. The fact that he'll get a bit of a licence to roam on the field, and that our structure is going to be aimed at providing more room for our centres. I've been critical of Lomax at times in the past, especially last year before he got dropped, but you can't deny his form at the back end of last year. And I've always thought if he's given that licence to roam the field, that's when he'd be at his best. He's fit enough to do it, so if it actually eventuates in his game I'm really excited to see it.

Victoire

Juniors
Yep, he was consistently one of our best since Hook was sacked. For the reasons he mentioned in that interview too: his competitiveness on every play, and his effort. Something that hopefully is showcased even more next year if he can get more ball.

At some point in last pre-season I posted that Lomax had the potential to play like Joey Manu does for the Roosters, and I maintain that. High praise I know, but I think he has the tools for it and can have a similar impact.

''I AM SO SICK OF LOSING MAN''. Headlines in Tele from one Zac Lomax talking about the coming season and the new coach Shane Flanagan. Interesting article with Zac saying he wants the players ''to back Flanno'' as he will be doing. He says he is happy to play wherever his coach wants, whether it be centre, fullback or even his preferred position, 5/8, as he "wants to have his hands on the ball more''.

I can understand Zac wanting to be more involved as he has been starved far too often at centre. But 5/8? Does he have the required game management to handle the halves. If Flanno wants to give him a roaming role then surely he can do that better from the back where he can also utilise his abundant skills. We will need a good game manager to replace Amone tho, sooner rather than later. Some talent in the juniors but will Flanno think them ready for Firsts.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
''I AM SO SICK OF LOSING MAN''. Headlines in Tele from one Zac Lomax talking about the coming season and the new coach Shane Flanagan. Interesting article with Zac saying he wants the players ''to back Flanno'' as he will be doing. He says he is happy to play wherever his coach wants, whether it be centre, fullback or even his preferred position, 5/8, as he "wants to have his hands on the ball more''.

I can understand Zac wanting to be more involved as he has been starved far too often at centre. But 5/8? Does he have the required game management to handle the halves. If Flanno wants to give him a roaming role then surely he can do that better from the back where he can also utilise his abundant skills. We will need a good game manager to replace Amone tho, sooner rather than later. Some talent in the juniors but will Flanno think them ready for Firsts.
The media are sensationalising the 5/8 comment he made, it was a nothing comment. I listened to the podcast yesterday, Zac knows he's a centre, and potentially a fullback if injury strikes, but even that it sounded like he knew was unlikely. He was just asked what his favourite position is and he said that he actually enjoyed playing 6 when he was younger and that it was the most fun position to play. He didn't say anything about actually going for the number 6 jersey.

Latest posts