What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

O'Sullivan

Juniors
RufusRex you are right regarding sentiment. We can't afford it. Yes this club owes Nightingale plenty, but can we afford to lose a Lomax or one of the other juniors to help him play a year too long?

slippery5

Juniors
I'd play him at right centre with Nighty outside as his mentor. Why not? He's 18, he'll make mistakes, he might do some good that Aitken and Mann can't and if at the end of it all he turns out to be rubbish we're no worse off. Our threequarters are largely rubbish anyway. If Nighty plays a role in bringing the best out of him it's a great contribution from one of our true legends to go out on.
I think under any other coach, Lomax would have played his way into the starting right centre after those impressive touches in the CS, compared to other options we have.
I repeat: under any OTHER coach .

I don't cop the "spend time playing against men" yarn. Other clubs have no issues torpedoing young blokes straight in, especially outside backs.
Think:
Lattrell Mitchell
Valentine Holmes
Cory Oates
Nic Cotric
Tom Trbojevic
etc etc, I'm sure you can all come up with more examples.
Just takes a coach to show some balls and back the kid, take the good with the bad and reap the fruits on the investment.
Besides Corey Oates, every single player you just listed are the premier talents of their generation and will be Kangaroos for the next decade most likely. Not saying Lomax can't ever be that good but to say he will is a huge call.

Bench
Based on McIdiot and his handling of the bench Lomax might have a new nickname.
Splinter

ouryear

Juniors
LOL ... sentimental bullshit.

The crux of it is that he has scored 108 tries in 249 games ... He never regularly scored in situations he shouldn't have .. He scored a lot of tries that he should have and that is great. His positional play was good and ability to put himself in the right spot also top shelf. He is not and has never been a "great" finisher, that is just hyperbole... you need to look at wings like Tingha who scored 121 tries in 142 game if you want to classify blokes as great finishers who could score when they shouldn't. Nightingale easily scores that first try if he was faster. You saw him deliberately slow up because he couldn't get there one the full and had to wait for the bounce which then put him closer to the sideline. It is lucky that it was only a trial game that his inability to finish has cost us.

Wendell Sailor knew it was time to pull up stumps and did so because Nightingale was there ready ...

If you want to compare how blokes perform in the same position then 2016 is the perfect example. For the first half of the season Nightingale played left wing and scored 3 tries. In exactly the same position on the end of the same backline Kurt Mann came in and played the 2nd half of the season and scored 10 tries in 11 games. This is the most obvious example of how there are better finishers available even within the team.

And that was 2 seasons ago.

Nightingale capably finished 16 scoring opportunities last season yet none of them could be classified as "shouldn't be scored" opportunities.

The team needs and deserves better/faster/stronger players than nightingale. The dragons are not a retirement home for old champions. If we select like that then it will only be old championships we talk about.

Right now the best 3/4 line we can put on the field is Mann/Lomax/Lafai/Nene ... Nene has already scored 3 tries this year that nightingale wouldn't have. Nene/Lafai next to be replaced if their form drops.
Makes you wonder why Nighty is so afraid of retiring.

I guess it's the money.
If that's the case he will stay on till 2030

possm

Coach
All I will say on Lomax is if he isn't in the first grade team then we will not have our best possible team on the park.

A classic case of Mary's stubborn, single minded attitude. Coyne should intervene and put a check on his unsound ideas.

RufusRex

Post Whore
The 3/4 line mary will pick in order of how soon they should be out the door is

1. Aitken
2. Nightingale
3. Nene
4. Lafai

We have 2 ready made and better options already in Mann/Lomax who should definitely come in for Aitken/Nightingale .. That immediately strengthens the defensive right and also improves its attacking potential.

Now Nene and Lafai are not the greatest 3/4s in the history of the game, far from it. Their positions for now are ok but the club has to be consistently looking at imports/juniors that will be able to take their spots or at least pressure them to perform.

O'Sullivan

Juniors
Lomax signed until the end of 2019 and already the drums are beating about his future. If Wests were prepared to pay $1.3 for Suli what do you think Lomax will command in two years time, especially if he remains parked behind players whose form might be dubious and other clubs play on his impatience? While I do not believe in promoting just because of hype, (remember Cummins?), I do see quality, real quality in this kid. I'd hate to groom him for the Bulldogs or the Roosters by refusing to trust his emerging ability.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Lomax signed until the end of 2019 and already the drums are beating about his future. If Wests were prepared to pay $1.3 for Suli what do you think Lomax will command in two years time, especially if he remains parked behind players whose form might be dubious and other clubs play on his impatience? While I do not believe in promoting just because of hype, (remember Cummins?), I do see quality, real quality in this kid. I'd hate to groom him for the Bulldogs or the Roosters by refusing to trust his emerging ability.
Lomax should be signed up long term and should be named to play on Thursday night.

Old Timer

Coach
Lomax should be signed up long term and should be named to play on Thursday night.
Yeah but on the flip side if we lose the kid Nighty is a really good bloke, shouldn't be forced to retire and must be applauded for thinking he might even stay on next year.
Not only can he keep the youth in reserve grade this year he can do it all again next year just can't wait.
What a f**king joke we will be if Lomax isn't given his chance and he goes elsewhere.
Nighty do the honourable thing and get a few to go with you to Toronto on the next available plane.

Johnsy66

Juniors
Yeah but on the flip side if we lose the kid Nighty is a really good bloke, shouldn't be forced to retire and must be applauded for thinking he might even stay on next year.
Not only can he keep the youth in reserve grade this year he can do it all again next year just can't wait.
What a f**king joke we will be if Lomax isn't given his chance and he goes elsewhere.
Nighty do the honourable thing and get a few to go with you to Toronto on the next available plane.
I’m hearing Lomax and Herbert are ISP centres Saturday

RufusRex

Post Whore

of course they will be ...

Mary Mcf**kedinhisdrunkenheadgor will have Nighty/Aitken/Lafai/Nene as the 3/4 with Mann on the bench ... He is deliberately trying to make it harder for the team to win games.

Old Timer

Coach
Not overly surprised and won't be surprised if it stays that way regardless of any poor results in 1st grade.
All the media hype and references to Aitken, Leilua and even Latimore indicates that things are pretty much set in stone.
This might be the year where I turn up for ISP and leave before 1st grade although even that has an issue in that Mc Fookknuckle still has 2019 to go and that ensures no pathway for the people who van actually play the game.
So no real light at the end of the tunnel for our team but if ever you see any, you can bet you life it is a Bullet train coming right at you and your car is stalled on a crossing.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Anyone suprised at this is kidding themselves. It was always going to be that way.
Just read the article yesterday with Aitken, pushing for SOO and rep teams this year etc etc. The only way to do that is starting centre. However, more concernibg for me was the statement "I'm 90% fit". So of course McGregor would pick him over a 100% fit player. Love child syndrom. Even if and when try's are leaked through his rush defense the live child will be continually selected.
I hope Kurt Mann has purchased a good set of tweezers.