What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Spazer

Juniors
Young Lomax makes some dumb plays but at the same time he is one of the only players in our team who trouble the defensive line.

Also, last night must have been the first time I’ve seen him properly use his left fend. He must’ve been inspired by staggs because he was dropping Milne and walker on their asses last night.

Do that more often and we’ll start to get a lot more value out of him and less errors.

BBTB

Juniors
Young Lomax makes some dumb plays but at the same time he is one of the only players in our team who trouble the defensive line.

Also, last night must have been the first time I’ve seen him properly use his left fend. He must’ve been inspired by staggs because he was dropping Milne and walker on their asses last night.

Do that more often and we’ll start to get a lot more value out of him and less errors.
Wants to start looking at the person he's passing too.
Bombed another certain try last night. Looked like a fool.

"the gifted one" that was what Brad Fittler called Lomax. He should know as he coached him in NSWRL Pathways junior rep footy for three years. You dont lose the natural skills Lomax possesses overnite. Yes he is playing risky footy, due imo to two reasons.. poor service from our uncreative halves and lack of confidence and morale. I expect he reads forum and social media comments.

Lomax has the skill to break the line. In fact one of our few. So play him at full back where he has more room to use his step and pace when chiming into the backline to make the extra man. He is also safe under the bomb. It is a radical move.. but may well turn out a no brainer.

Passing the ball without looking is plain dumb and the sooner he removes that from his game the better.

Last edited:

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I read it differently: I actually think he's too confident. After he copped the spray from Bird, he put much of the flash away and did some good, albeit less glamorous, work - some strong fends, some in-and-aways. There were some dropped balls but he was hardly on his own there from either side.

Something in that Matty John's segment really rubbed me the wrong way. It wasn't the Hook stuff - it was the Dufty/Norman stuff. The basketball anecdote suggested Dufty was the sort to sulk and pout and kick stones when he lost whereas Norman would never let a loss ruin a good night on the tiles. The former is definitely annoying but the latter would be unacceptable in any high-performing squad.

That that resonated with Lomax is, I believe, much of the problem with this team. We like to pick good blokes rather than good footballers. And these good blokes get paid very well when they do something flashy - regardless of the final score.

Once he pulled his head in last night and got stuck into the grind, he was much improved. It's just a shame that that is considered a negative in this Dragons culture.

Dragon for life

Juniors
I'll agree with you to a point but there's many times Lomax could draw and pass as well. He seems to have a one track mind, if he get's the ball attacking close to the line he always takes the same option no matter what's happening with the defence, pass the ball to Rava, preferably without looking to see if Rava is actually there. Many times, even a few this year he could have got Rave over if he'd only been more careful with the pass, he doesn't have to do the no look or wild flick every time. 1 try and 1 try assist this year and 3 or 4 bombed.
When he jumps for the high ball he rarely looks for the ball just flails wildly in the general direction he thinks the ball is to try knocking it back and usually knocks it on instead. If he timed it better and kept his eye on the ball he could catch them more often and maybe score.
Also he's slow for a modern centre especially at only 22 years old - he seems a lot older. Parra killed us with speed yesterday, Opacic, Penisini, Brown, Blake. Taking Amone and Sloan out when we're already missing Ramsey was just dumb.
You are right though about our centres and wingers waiting for the 304 to Circular Quay. That's what happens when your hooker is a geriatric and your forwards are getting smashed.
Yep!! If your forwards are getting hammered week in week out what chance do the backs have to make something happen. Takes something special to get through the line or create an overlap. In saying that our second man to second man is not going to cut it even if we did have the ascendancy. Mix it up just a little

BBTB

Juniors
Lomax has the skill to break the line. In fact one of our few. So play him at full back where he has more room to use his step and pace when chiming into the backline to make the extra man. He is also safe under the bomb. It is a radical move.. but may well turn out a no brainer.

Passing the ball without looking is plain dumb and the sooner he removes that from his game the better.
Well he's getting fullback money, so he should play fullback.

twinkletoes

Juniors

I have to disagree. In the 3 or 4 seasons he has played first grade i don't think I have seen him make 1 clean break and run any distance in clear space..in fact I couldn't tell you if he has speed or not as I've not seen him in a situation to show it..he has no penetration at all.

Dragon David

First Grade
I have to disagree. In the 3 or 4 seasons he has played first grade i don't think I have seen him make 1 clean break and run any distance in clear space..in fact I couldn't tell you if he has speed or not as I've not seen him in a situation to show it..he has no penetration at all.
There was once that I can recall Lomax getting through the defence and ran down the side and he off loaded to Rava - not the flick version but it was some time ago when we had McGregor.

Other than that, ppfftt, not much more.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
One of Zac's greatest strengths has been his aerial takes, which have disappeared, and I'm guessing his thumb isnt strong enough to take those atm. The flick pass has become more the signature rather than the unexpected, and Rava has had his opportunities vastly reduced.

Dragon David

First Grade
One of Zac's greatest strengths has been his aerial takes, which have disappeared, and I'm guessing his thumb isnt strong enough to take those atm. The flick pass has become more the signature rather than the unexpected, and Rava has had his opportunities vastly reduced.
Rava is having a very lean period of try scoring. Other teams know how to cut out the ball going to him. If he did take the no look high pass off of Lomax in the game against the Panthers, our game against the Sharks might have been more competitive but as the saying goes, if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle. No ifs or buts come into rugby league once the game ends.

Dragon David

First Grade
Rava is having a very lean period of try scoring. Other teams know how to cut out the ball going to him. If he did take the no look high pass off of Lomax in the game against the Panthers, our game against the Sharks might have been more competitive but as the saying goes, if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle. No ifs or buts come into rugby league once the game ends.
Edit: Well now that I think about it, why did my aunt stand in the toilet having a leak the other night? Hmmmm!

BLM01

First Grade
A few have had their opportunities reduced. We have forgotten how to create holes or overlaps for someone to run into space

Dragon David

First Grade
Had a chuckle when a scribe from one of the national dailies described our once great club as "the rejects shop". How true. McCullogh, Bird, Mbye and one or two other forwards all picked up on the cheap after being rejected by their clubs.
I've always thought of us being a rejects club - those players we have picked up over the past few years being rejected from their previous clubs on one side of the coin and on the flip side, those players from other clubs who have rejected us.

Latest posts