What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

BLM01

First Grade
I haven't agreed with everything Flanno has done since taking over - eg releasing Sullivan, Bird to centre, Lomax to wing etc. However I trust him more than any coach we've had since Bennett left. From the little we've seen so far, the team and squad is better than last year.
Personally I don't think Zac will be on the wing all year. Injuries and form will force changes and with that Zac will get a chance somewhere else. I think this could ultimately be good for him. Flanno wasn't afraid to upset Valentine Holmes or David Fifita in his time at the Sharks.
Let's just wait a few months to see how things pan out. A few wins will probably help too.
Love the interview
Refreshing
straight to the point
It is what it is
Flanno calm and measured
Just wait if we start losing
No more Mr nice guy !

Lennyb

Juniors
I haven't agreed with everything Flanno has done since taking over - eg releasing Sullivan, Bird to centre, Lomax to wing etc. However I trust him more than any coach we've had since Bennett left. From the little we've seen so far, the team and squad is better than last year.
Personally I don't think Zac will be on the wing all year. Injuries and form will force changes and with that Zac will get a chance somewhere else. I think this could ultimately be good for him. Flanno wasn't afraid to upset Valentine Holmes or David Fifita in his time at the Sharks.
Let's just wait a few months to see how things pan out. A few wins will probably help too.
Reality checks are needed for young blokes.

Take them down a peg or two.

Its up to him now.

He cried when hook dropped him.

So far he has handled it like an adult.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
i thought that Flano just kept it together when the Lomax head raised itself

He was firing under neath

poking the finger in his ear, looking down and trying not to jump across the picket line lol

dragon thomo

Juniors
If the Roosters are one club after Lomax then i would consider letting him go for May "front rower^ for a swap. If it is true that Lo ax is sooking and wamts out lets use this to get a quality player in return. I am sick of players that seem to want out when it gets a lttle hard.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I love how Flanno in his interview regarding Zac being contracted and that the NRL will be giving someone a call about that later.

Good to hear Flanno say Liddle is fine. We need him this week more than Blake Lawrie. Give Blake all the time he needs as we have decent cover for him.
Blake is a bigger step up from his replacement bmm, but your right, we do have cover, unlike hooker.

That said, I’d be in BMM’s ear about how I really want a huge game from him, leave it all out there on the park, huge energy levels and contact, he can even likely take a rest next week when we get back Luc, Sele and Blake.

Bin Chicken

Juniors
If the Roosters are one club after Lomax then i would consider letting him go for May "front rower^ for a swap. If it is true that Lo ax is sooking and wamts out lets use this to get a quality player in return. I am sick of players that seem to want out when it gets a lttle hard.
It will be Parra I reckon and at a guess it will be for Paulo . There’s a bit going on at Parra with management vs coach.

since77

Juniors
He cried when hook dropped him.
Kind of disagree with this. It's well documented that Griffin handled that situation really poorly. Refused to even tell him why he'd been dropped. And IMO Zac was the scapegoat for Griffin's inept coaching. The whole team was broken at that point and he singles out a centre? Just really showed what a dud we had for a coach. No surprise that he bounced back to form when Griffin was "hooked" and he finished 2023 really strongly.

Dragon David

First Grade
Kind of disagree with this. It's well documented that Griffin handled that situation really poorly. Refused to even tell him why he'd been dropped. And IMO Zac was the scapegoat for Griffin's inept coaching. The whole team was broken at that point and he singles out a centre? Just really showed what a dud we had for a coach. No surprise that he bounced back to form when Griffin was "hooked" and he finished 2023 really strongly.
It goes to show how different a person could be when coached/tutored in the right way. Just like when you went to school - if your teacher showed enthusiasm and has a good way in teaching, the kids come away with higher grades. When the teacher is the opposite the kids come out dunces. I wouldn't say that I came out a dunce but I can sure say that some of my teachers were plain useless. So when you have a guy like Griffin coaching, our guys just did not pass the grade. Now under Flanno and a bit under Ryan Carr, they are learning more and being taught things that they lacked for years under Mary and Hook.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Lomax is playing reserve grade @ the Roosters, I dont think hes going anywhere anyway, hes a huge part of our 2024 backline which already has very questionable depth.

As for the state of the club.. I think results will do the talking.. the tigers trial is why everyone is optimistic.. the results from here will tell us what to feel, elation or disillusion :p

maestro1

Bench
This

kit66

Bench
I like this.

Man I love the way Flanno looks Carayannis (?) straight in the eye when he says Zac's under contract so you might get an enquiring call from the NRL. A nice challenge, if you're going to write shit about my club you'll be held to account. Great slap down.

I don't know if Saints is in a better postition than the Sharkies were in 2015 when Flanno took over - yes they got the spoon in 2014 but they still had Valentine Holmes, Wade Graham, Gallen, Luke Lewis, Andrew Fifita, Michael Gordon, Matt Prior and others already on the books then added for 2015, Michael Ennis, Jack Bird, Bukuya, Ben Barba and the goat Gerard Beale. Our roster has improved but we've still got a ways to go.
Flanno got that mob from a 2014 spoon to 2015 6th on the ladder, so if he get's us up to around 10th he'll have done well and we'll be building nicely for 2025.

maestro1

Bench
Man I love the way Flanno looks Carayannis (?) straight in the eye when he says Zac's under contract so you might get an enquiring call from the NRL. A nice challenge, if you're going to write shit about my club you'll be held to account. Great slap down.

I don't know if Saints is in a better postition than the Sharkies were in 2015 when Flanno took over - yes they got the spoon in 2014 but they still had Valentine Holmes, Wade Graham, Gallen, Luke Lewis, Andrew Fifita, Michael Gordon, Matt Prior and others already on the books then added for 2015, Michael Ennis, Jack Bird, Bukuya, Ben Barba and the goat Gerard Beale. Our roster has improved but we've still got a ways to go.
Flanno got that mob from a 2014 spoon to 2015 6th on the ladder, so if he get's us up to around 10th he'll have done well and we'll be building nicely for 2025.
He was talking about the Sharks 2010 squad he inherited when he took over from Ricky Stuart. Not the 2015 sharks team

TheRev

First Grade
Not sure about the Sharks side.. but the 2 things that will hold Flanno back are:

1) Fullback, there are probably 5 games a year (maybe more) won or lost on the defensive+offensive performance of your fullback.. that could be the difference between a spoon and pushing for the 8. most clubs have 3 genuine first-grade fullback options.. and to be fair we had Allan for this exact reason... but the damn cap at the moment, we should be able to pluck those guys stuck in reserve grade at other clubs.. but they are all signed up for years.

2) Depth full-stop.. much improved over 2023.. but the reality is still that we cant afford injuries to our spine, we are already stretched to deal with 2 middles being out... and the season hasnt even started... there will be suspensions and injuries to come.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Most of the commentary on Flanno is that he took over Cronulla towards the end of 2010, a year in which they finished 2nd last. Their roster at that point was pretty ordinary. Flanno improved the roster up to the end of 2013 when Peter Sharp coached Cronulla for 2014, and they got the Spoon. Flanno was back for 2015 which, as @kit66 says, had Cronulla with a pretty strong roster. The Dragon's hope is that Flanno will improve the roster as he did for Cronulla from 2010, not from 2015.

Sorry @maestro1 , didn't see your post. I was typing as you were posting!

possm

Coach
Sloan will nail FB when he learns how to catch a ball under pressure, tackle, put his body on the line and learn not to be scared.

Sloan has been in our system for a long time and should have been taught these skills way before now. If Sloan only wants to play fullback, he needs to do so in reserve grade where he can skill up.

Latest posts