What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Dragon David

First Grade
I can remember how young Ramsey was initially used as a winger for us and maybe a game or two at fullback, but mainly wing. As you know he went to fullback full time and "killed" it before he was hit with his illness. Lomax as far as I can recall has always played centre, but maybe a game or two at fullback, but mainly centre. I think that with Lomax playing on the wing will enable him to broaden and improve his overall skills as happened with Ramsey and I feel that Lomax will transition to fullback full time sometime this year.

Mojo

Bench
Zac is one of the clubs quickest over the 40m sprints
Many of the others are as slow as a wet week though and some just repeatedly take off in the wrong direction no matter how often we point the way.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
I hear all these comments but as you all know I am on the Flanno bus & I trust what he is doing. If it needs to make some amendments or adjustments he will do it.
I was pondering during the week... why does it feel different in 2024?

For over a decade I've been vigorously debating every player selection.. because I had zero confidence in the last 3 coaches... I genuinely believed they did not have a workable plan for either the football team 'or' the individual players development... It felt like the 3 coaches were deers in the headlights.. their only objective was trying to save their job for another 7 days...

And it's certainly not party-time in 2024.. this is not a great roster.. but for the first time.. us fans can just take the foot off the throttle.. relax just a little... have some faith that this Flanno bloke who has rebuilt a club before.. has some idea what hes doing.. he is training with the players every day.. he knows whos staying and who he wants to replace next year.. like.. maybe we can give him the benefit of the doubt that he has some reasons for selecting xyz bloke in a given position?

And like SAP says, hes shown hes not shy on making those changes if he doesnt like what he sees.. the 17 has already evolved over the off-season.

Victoire

Juniors

Flanagan's presser today, he was asked directly about Lomax at about the 4:39 mark. Basically confirmed that Lomax is not happy being on the wing, but indicated it may not be a permanent shift, and Flanno not pleased he is being linked to other clubs.

What's everyone's take on this?

Mojo

Bench

Flanagan's presser today, he was asked directly about Lomax at about the 4:39 mark. Basically confirmed that Lomax is not happy being on the wing, but indicated it may not be a permanent shift, and Flanno not pleased he is being linked to other clubs.

My take is very simple: it would be a big mistake to lose Lomax for the sake of playing Bird at centre.
Bird is a decent 14 at this stage of his career.

mattchuot

Juniors

I have to agree with everything Flanno said. As coach, it is his job to pick the best 17 to get the 2 points at the end of the day. If that means Lomax is sitting on the wing then so be it. Of course Lomax would be unhappy playing out of his preferred position, any player would be.

For me, it is on Lomax and how he responds to this challenge. He can either play hard and earn his centre position back or kick stones. I suspect this is Flanno’s way of lighting a fire in Lomax to help him reach his potential. If Flanno wanted him gone, I don’t think he would reacted the way he did when he heard Parra and Roosters were sniffing about.

since77

Juniors

I haven't agreed with everything Flanno has done since taking over - eg releasing Sullivan, Bird to centre, Lomax to wing etc. However I trust him more than any coach we've had since Bennett left. From the little we've seen so far, the team and squad is better than last year.
Personally I don't think Zac will be on the wing all year. Injuries and form will force changes and with that Zac will get a chance somewhere else. I think this could ultimately be good for him. Flanno wasn't afraid to upset Valentine Holmes or David Fifita in his time at the Sharks.
Let's just wait a few months to see how things pan out. A few wins will probably help too.

kit66

Bench
Again, it's the journos pushing the story and some readers/listeners falling in with it.
The journo sets the narrative with his language, quite simply - "Zac Lomax", "unhappy". Flanno doesn't say Zac's unhappy and doesn't categorically agree with the statement but lays his intentions down - "my job is to pick the best 17". Good on Flanno, he won that little battle.
As I said before Zac's body language at stages in the trials showed he wasn't a happy man - his usual response to scoring a try is pretty jubilant but not in the Wests trial, head down, no celebration at all. But that doesn't mean he wants out of the team and is being courted by other clubs suddenly, that's the journos earning a crust.
If Zac is thinking of anything other than working hard, proving himself and earning the right to push for a particularly jersey I'd be surprised. If he's thinking of walking away in a huff from his mates and the potential that Flanno and the new signings bring I'd be surprised.
If he just gets in and has a dig, keeps improving and puts some faith in a new coach who is 10 times better than any coach he's had at Saints he could reap rich rewards, not just the chance of maybe his best points haul ever from more tires and goals but the chance to catch the eye of Michael McGuire and fulfill that particular dream.
Mildly peeved is all, he'll have a great year and all will be forgiven.

Super Owl

Juniors
I haven't agreed with everything Flanno has done since taking over - eg releasing Sullivan, Bird to centre, Lomax to wing etc. However I trust him more than any coach we've had since Bennett left. From the little we've seen so far, the team and squad is better than last year.
Personally I don't think Zac will be on the wing all year. Injuries and form will force changes and with that Zac will get a chance somewhere else. I think this could ultimately be good for him. Flanno wasn't afraid to upset Valentine Holmes or David Fifita in his time at the Sharks.
Let's just wait a few months to see how things pan out. A few wins will probably help too.

After the Tigers trial I have been far happier about the Sullivan call. He's just too small for first grade.

Parko1310

Juniors
For the most part I thought Bird went well at centre in the trials. Our next up winger for the moment if Lomax was to go back to the centres is Tuipolotu who is hopeless and needs to improve significantly. I agree with Flano in that insofar as our best 17 is concerned, currently Lomax on the wing is the best option. If Bird starts to get burnt, or makes errors every game the conversation can then be about changing it up. Lomax might not be happy about being on the wing, and I wouldn't expect him to be either, but it's what is best for the team. If he wants to make a big song and dance about it because of an out of control ego (not saying it is happening, but if it does), then see you later. No player is bigger than the club.

Some people seem to be more concerned about being right about Bird going to the centres as a bad idea, than they are about the team winning. Why not support Bird, because if he plays well and contributes positively, that is a good thing and keeps Tuipolotu out who has already shown he is currently not up to scratch. Getting up in arms about Lomax being "shafted" or 'dicked around" is only contributing to the trend of player power at the club. Lomax is not bigger than this club, he has achieved quite literally zero in his NRL career so far, hasn't performed to his potential, etc. It is now up to him to earn his centre spot back. He's in no position to be making demands. If he plays incredibly, starts living up to his price tag and hype, then the conversation can change there. Right now he is a young player with talent who has done nothing. The team's ideal 17 should not bend to cater to him. I trust that this coach will get this all right. He's no pretender

Dragon David

First Grade
Agreed. I think you mean Andrew Fifita since 77?

dwight12

Juniors
I dont see any issue with this at all (in terms of zac wanting to play centre). We all at times have either wanted to be in a different role, be it within a team sport or even your workplace. I'd much rather him have these conversations with the coach directly then through the media and/or managers. He has stated he wants to play centre, flanno has acknowledged as much and has stated that it is definitely a possibility its just not the case right now. I, like most on here believe he is a great centre and is much more suited to playing there instead of Bird, but I think in Flanno's mind it is a case of Bird inside Zac > Zac inside Tuipolotu/Fegnai. It may just be a waiting game until Finau gets a couple of NSW cup games under his belt

TheRev

First Grade
I'm just frustrated that the topic keeps coming up.. heaps of clubs have got guns sitting in reserve grade, but for some reason Zac hits the papers again and again.. and hes actually in 1st grade...

We literally have not played an NRL game yet!!

If Sloan has a shocker, gets an injury or concussion.. or probably even Bird or Suli get one.. and boom Lomax will be moved... and tbh... playing wing is probably just temporary.. but even it became permanent, that would be an indication that the side is killing it.. either way he is good...

And yes I definitely do not want to see Tuipolotu in 1st grade, but im keen to see how he goes on Sunday on NSWRLTV, how fast can he learn..

Last edited:

mattchuot

Juniors
I'm just frustrated that the topic keeps coming up.. heaps of clubs have got guns sitting in reserve grade, but for some reason Zac hits the papers again and again.. and hes actually in 1st grade...

We literally have not played an NRL game yet!!

If Sloan has a shocker, gets an injury or concussion.. or probably even Bird or Suli get one.. and boom Lomax will be moved... its probably just temporary.. and even if its permanent, it will mean we must be killing it... win win.

And yes I definitely do not want to see Tuipolotu in 1st grade, but im keen to see how he goes on Sunday, how fast can he learn..
It is probably because Lomax is one of our highest paid and highest profile players so it makes an easy story for the journos. In fairness to Lomax, he has said all the right things publicly in terms of playing where the team needs him. The last thing we need is a coach who picks his team based on their salaries. I am glad Flanno isn’t doing that and I am confident Lomax will earn his keep once the season gets under way.