What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am so confused how the NRL refuse to investigate this and Flanno has not asked the NRL to. Zac is contracted to 2026. Enough said. The media love talking about out players wanting out. Last year it was Sloan, Bud, then Hunt, then Bud again, then Hunt and now Lomax.

Has any other team in the NRL had their top gun players signed for 2+ years been approached or asking for a release? Is seems only Saints have an open market place where any player that seems good can be approached by the bigger clubs to get them to leave. Have we seen a Tigers, Dogs or Titans player approached to leave who are as bad as Saints?

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I can only speculate that this is either a personality issue (both ways) or about money.

If the latter, it really doesn't make sense. He's very well paid and playing the best he ever has. The only thing could be that his manager's thinking about the value of the next contract as a winger rather than a centre.

But I reckon that's a silly argument. If he's worth the money, he'll command it regardless of the number on his back. At the moment he might be defending on the wing but he's attacking almost like a second fullback - not dissimilar to how NSW played a few years ago with Turbo and Latrell in the centres.

So either his manager is being a goose or there's a personality clash. It would be a terrible shame to lose him if that's all it is.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Sport Confidential: Zac Lomax push to exit the Dragons intensifies​

St George Illawarra have drawn up their wishlist of Zac Lomax replacement targets and top of the list are a Parramatta excitement machine and a Melbourne man mountain.
Brent Read and Michael Carayannis

less than 2 min read
March 28, 2024 - 12:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://archive.md/msgMN#share-tools
Zac lomax has intensified his push to leave the Dragons. Picture: David Swift

Zac lomax has intensified his push to leave the Dragons. Picture: David Swift
St George Illawarra are preparing for Zac Lomax to ask for an immediate release as the parties prepare for crunch talks next week.
Lomax is again expected to request to exit the club immediately. The Dragons’ indicated before round one that they would put any potential talks on his future on hold until after round four. That time will come next week after the Dragons play Manly on Saturday night. No formal meeting has planned for next week as yet however is an anticipation that a call will come from Lomax’s management to the Dragons camp where they could again intimate Lomax’s desire to leave the club.
Zac lomax has made it clear he wants out of the Dragons. Picture: David Swift

Zac lomax has made it clear he wants out of the Dragons. Picture: David Swift
The Dragons have already told Lomax they have no intention to release him despite Parramatta circling. The door is slightly ajar to cut Lomax adrift at season’s end which would free up about $800,000 off St George Illawarra’s books. Parramatta have the scope to land him now.
The Dragons could be enticed to let Lomax go immediately should a rival club propose a player swap. They wouldn’t hesitate if the Eels would be prepared to part with emerging young gun Blaize Talagi but that would be at long odds from occurring.
St George Illawarra are also aware of growing unrest regarding Nelson Asofa-Solomona at the Storm.
Parramatta’s impressive youngster Blaize Talagi is high on St George’s wishlist. Picture: NRL Photos

Parramatta’s impressive youngster Blaize Talagi is high on St George’s wishlist. Picture: NRL Photos
Nelson Asofa-Solomona and the Storm. Picture: David Crosling

Nelson Asofa-Solomona and the Storm. Picture: David Crosling
They are yet to engage in any talks of a potential player swap until they have some clarity surrounding Lomax. Salary cap space is not a concern for the Dragons – they have plenty of wiggle room – but need to secure some high profile players to fill any potential void.
Despite the uncertainty surrounding Lomax’s future, he has proved to be a revelation playing on the wing for the Dragons to start the season and has been easily their best player.
His desire to shift back to centre could come as soon as next week with Jack Bird on notice after a poor showing in recent weeks.
His form has been noticed by NSW coach Michael Maguire who has told Lomax that he is on the radar for a potential Origin debut.

Good luck with signing players, and Lomax being a possibility of playing SOO, doing my head in.

Is NAS really on the nose with MEL and does that change the Lomax situation.

TheRev

First Grade
Feels like dejavu with Ben Hunt going to a qld club to play hooker.. a position he despises and will sook about if made to play it at the Dragons...

There is a huge chance Lomax ends up on the Wing wherever he goes.. it just depends who the incumbent right ctr there is.

Dragon David

First Grade
This matter is going on for far too long. It isn't helping us one bit. We need stability and fewer demands put on Flanno and the club. It makes us look a mockery of a club and the sooner someone says enough is enough the better.

This is absolutely ludicrous that a guy with still 2 years left on his contract can be seen to want out and whichever club has indeed approached him or if in fact his manager is causing all of this grief on Lomax's behalf then he should be banned or deregistered and that club wanting him also penalised.

The club has got to tell all of its players that they have obligations to fulfil within the conditions of their contracts. Just don't beat around the bush.

TheRev

First Grade
I feel like if its not this weekend, it'll be next weekend that Bird ends up the 14 and the backline reshuffle happens...

Unless one of the other clubs has an urgent/decent swap proposition.. then nothing changes..

I dont care as much about this season in terms of letting Zac go early (for the right deal), but the idea of not having an aerial leaper for short-dropoffs, scares the bejesus out of me.

Feels like dejavu with Ben Hunt going to a qld club to play hooker.. a position he despises and will sook about if made to play it at the Dragons...

There is a huge chance Lomax ends up on the Wing wherever he goes.. it just depends who the incumbent right ctr there is.
I think there is close to zero chance that he plays wing for another club this year. If a club has a right centre that they like more than Lomax, they won't take him on.

matPORTS

Juniors
There really is not much point in delaying the inevitable for too much longer.

Zac & Rava need to be our right side wing three quarter combo, and Jack goes back to the bench as a edge replacement or lock playing in the middle rotation (but even then I'd like to see RFM given some more time in this role).

Zac won't be moving on this year unless there is something significant coming back the other way - be it player swaps with the club he ultimately goes to, or being able to lock in transfers from elsewhere in the comp to boost positions where we are short.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Lomax is playing in a position that is best for the team however, he is a better center than Bird.

Given the choice, play him at center. Not having a crack at Birdy but who is going to play longer.

Hopefully, we will see Lomax in the center position in the best 17 named.
I agree........the thing that pisses me off we keep hearing that Lomax is playing in a position atm thats better for the team .....seriously !!!!!!! If it's better for the Team and we've been flogged and had 90 odd points scored against us in the last 2 games does that suggest then that if he's moved backed to the centres we might have 150 scored against us in the next 2 ......honestly this whole saga is complete crap and needs to be sorted today

thebigredv

First Grade
I might be in the minority but my general view of Lomax has been that's he's always been a strong player and good defensively but with the ball in hand as a centre he only has the one trick which was his draw and flick pass to Rava. Hence why he has often been the centre of discussions for a number of years.

Since taking up the wing spot we have seen a lot more freedom in his game as well as utilising him as a safe option collecting and returning kicks. He has started to find the try line all of a sudden. I say we stick this one out longer and if he wants and can go and be an unremarkable centre at some other club and we can put his money to good use. He ain't a patch on Matt Cooper.

TheRev

First Grade
I might be in the minority but my general view of Lomax has been that's he's always been a strong player and good defensively but with the ball in hand as a centre he only has the one trick which was his draw and flick pass to Rava. Hence why he has often been the centre of discussions for a number of years.

Since taking up the wing spot we have seen a lot more freedom in his game as well as utilising him as a safe option collecting and returning kicks. He has started to find the try line all of a sudden. I say we stick this one out longer and if he wants and can go and be an unremarkable centre at some other club and we can put his money to good use. He ain't a patch on Matt Cooper.
100% and thats why hes not our longterm fullback either.. his passing game and decision making is really average.. i.e. hes not a creative/spine player.. his lot in life is to run hard tackle hard jump hard.. and he does it bluddy bluddy well.. he just needs to get his brain around that its something he should be proud of ... I mean look he can probably do a lot of the same things from centre also, but I think he provides more net positives to the team from the wing.. it really comes back to the quality of your roster for that particular year in terms of where he is needed... it shouldn't really matter..

But numerous people have stated that hes always sooking about stuff.. it just doesnt seem like a guy you want when you are trying to rebuild a resilient/tough/close group of guys who you want to bleed for eachother.. yet I cant deny that he tries harder than anyone on the field.. but he is also trying to get a contract.. so there is that.. but end of the day its not really working.. but it has to be a genuinely good swap cause we will really miss him once hes gone.. a team so poor in the air.. this guy is our only jumper.. its madness.

steerlerbab

Juniors

The grass may not be greener at the other side. Zac may thing he is a top centre and that is where he should play. but will the other club coach think like he thinks. Statistically there are 22 centres that are better than Zac.

If I were Zac, I will call Bud Sullivan. He thought he was a half and he is not a replacement hooker. All last year we the fans discussed it. Well He got his wish, got a release and went to Tigers and he is now a replacement hooker again.

SAP58

Juniors
I am confused, some say thats not hard but I was watching the TV & they showed the Dragons entering the field on their captains run & when Zac Lomax entered he pointed to the Dragons logo on his training shirt. WTF its reported he wants to leave and is unhappy but performs this jesture to the camera ??

Dragons4me

Juniors
I am confused, some say thats not hard but I was watching the TV & they showed the Dragons entering the field on their captains run & when Zac Lomax entered he pointed to the Dragons logo on his training shirt. WTF its reported he wants to leave and is unhappy but performs this jesture to the camera ??

Cause unfounded doom and gloom stories easily run rampant and we will never know the truth no matter what happens anyway.