What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

matPORTS

Juniors
I think this is an extremely smart move from the club. Actually - let's not heap praise too much. It's more just lucky that Ben Haran & Ian Millward actually have some Rugby League nous in Flanno to help with these decisions now, otherwise some of the recent 'problems' (Hunt wanting out and possibly re-signing Sullivan on a big money long term deal he eventually got from the Tigers) could have become real disasters.

I suppose this might mean Suli will come to the right side eventually. Given that Corey Allan is signed for 2025 he could end up playing left centre? Bird might still come good as well...?

Turuva is now an absolute must signing, and would give us exactly the same as what we are currently getting from Lomax (barring goal kicking ability) on less $.

Do we take a punt on someone like Galvin, and look to build a team around him for the future (with Luai heading to the Tigers he could become available).

We already played our cards by going in hard for Fonua-Blake. Who do we target to boost our front row stocks?

A bit of water still to pass under the bridge. But this opens up a lot of doors for our recruitment & retention.

lombard

Juniors
I think this is an extremely smart move from the club. Actually - let's not heap praise too much. It's more just lucky that Ben Haran & Ian Millward actually have some Rugby League nous in Flanno to help with these decisions now, otherwise some of the recent 'problems' (Hunt wanting out and possibly re-signing Sullivan on a big money long term deal he eventually got from the Tigers) could have become real disasters.

I suppose this might mean Suli will come to the right side eventually. Given that Corey Allan is signed for 2025 he could end up playing left centre? Bird might still come good as well...?

Turuva is now an absolute must signing, and would give us exactly the same as what we are currently getting from Lomax (barring goal kicking ability) on less $.

Do we take a punt on someone like Galvin, and look to build a team around him for the future (with Luai heading to the Tigers he could become available).

We already played our cards by going in hard for Fonua-Blake. Who do we target to boost our front row stocks?

A bit of water still to pass under the bridge. But this opens up a lot of doors for our recruitment & retention.
No way the Tigers let Galvin leave. Sullivan would be moved onto England before that ever happens.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
No way Flanno would let him go without A-having a player or 2 coming or B Zac is creating headaches behind the scenes and showing us a different side. Remember Flanno was around when Mary was coach and knows the players well. If we have signed the guy from Yawnion he is a flyer who can tackle. The other thing is Tamale is Cooper like and if we can sort him out he is a beast

justadragon

Bench

I can absolutely promise you it wont be Galvin who becomes available !!!

Big dick move by Flanno and I guess, the board. Cut the rot...it's the only way your club can move forward. Dave and Kev came in for us and got rid of TPJ, Lodge and a number of other disruptive influences/guys who weren't all in and it's paid off. I love Hunt, despite 2015, but he should be next on your list for an exit IMO.

slippery5

Juniors
Big dick move by Flanno and I guess, the board. Cut the rot...it's the only way your club can move forward. Dave and Kev came in for us and got rid of TPJ, Lodge and a number of other disruptive influences/guys who weren't all in and it's paid off. I love Hunt, despite 2015, but he should be next on your list for an exit IMO.
You make a lot of sense for a Bronco :p

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Who knows with the way a salary cap can be managed... Someone can be on $3m over 6 years and be paid $800k + this year. Same as someone can have a front loaded pay day if there is cap space - get $1m in year one and two, then $250k for the last 4 years... they wouldn't be positioned as a $250k player, but that might be what they are paid in their final year.
I dont think the NRL Salary Cap rules allow for such a drop in salary and im pretty sure they're limiting the back ending in contracts

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Tui got 4 tries in ressies on the weekend

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a time say mid season where maybe Tuis numbers are so strong in ressies that he may get the left wing spot and Rava is back to where he plays best on the right wing

there are other aspect to Zacs game that have him in FG right now but Flano could get just as many metres and tries from Tui as Zac produces on average

we will see

Belta

Juniors
i must admit i really didnt like the handsy stuff Lomax was doing to K Flanno on the video page 82 on this thread (just above)

Kyle was not appreciating but knew he was a little trapped

Lomax is very very immature for his age

just weirdo dominating bullshit
I’m sorry AG but to me that was really funny S&$t. Thanks I really needed a laugh

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I dont think the NRL Salary Cap rules allow for such a drop in salary and im pretty sure they're limiting the back ending in contracts
I’m fairly sure it is stepped next couple more years re the back ending

reason for that is that it is a critical piece of the puzzle to help lower teams re shape and compete with more dollars for top talent

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I can absolutely promise you it wont be Galvin who becomes available !!!
Why turuva we just bought a winger from manly we have a young centre in reserves who scored four on the weekend lets get the rugby player from the reds in qland and look for a half for when hunt leaves probably the end of this year and get a big bopper up front .We are a solid team on the up trust in our juniors and the coach.

Belta

Juniors
We need a couple of big boopers more than wingers. Just need to identify the good ones. I wonder what Bennett payed for the Illawarra junior who’s now killing it on the wing ie Jack Bostock. Bet it wasn’t $800 000

Mind u if he ends up at the Roosters he’ll never have to worry about his allegedly over priced salary, because all we will hear is crickets

Last edited:

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
So far just today I have read from posters with inside knowledge that Lomax has
Signed with Parra and we are getting Materson
Meet with Storm already signed we are getting NAS
Signed with Roosters only sticking point is who we are getting in return Maybe Manu
It's a no brainer for Lomax to leave he'll be on 2.5 million next year his weekends will be busy thou.
What a master-stroke from Flanno releases Lomax and get Materson NAS and Manu in return.

Last edited:
No way the Tigers let Galvin leave. Sullivan would be moved onto England before that ever happens.
Galvin locked until 2027, but he’s only played 2 games and for one of those he was sent off and now suspended lol.

Benji has kept Bud around the squad, selected this week which is good.

I was dissapointed to learn that Lomax has been karening-on behind the scenes.

But with Hunt as captain, anything goes.

There was a post earlier about Rooster interest, we’ve been after him for awhile but he’s too expensive. It wouldn’t surprise me if the dogs are ringing him.

It’s a pity he doesn’t want to try to evolve with you and Flanno. He’s getting bad advices, the grass is always greener.
It’s sad all his public enthusiasm for just getting to play for you (anywhere) was all just rubbish. Anyway, Gal said Flanno was very shrewd in these matters.

Matterson is another entitled one. He’s had better days, but under Flanno, he should revive.

Last edited:

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
Still trying to get my head around this at the moment but all I’m seeing is negatives.

On form he is probably close to our best player and we let him go and have got nothing in return except added money to our salary cap. Didn’t Flanno say he wanted an exchange of a top 3 player from another club to let him out of his contract?

At the moment any elite players won’t sign with us so having all this extra money is worthless if we can’t get them to the club.

Lomax seems to be a self before team individual and he has been playing for a contract at a rival club. Will his form drop right off once he signs with another club?

Losing our goal no 1 kicker depletes our stocks in goal kickers.

Will Ben Hunt whose same request was denied be dirty on the club and want out at the end of this season also. This could become another major disruption for him and the team.
If they do let Hunt go where do they find another proper half back they are rare as rooking horse poop.

I am hope it all turns out well and we get some major benefits from this move.
GO THE DRAGONS!

Draginzaaar

Bench
I mean I think it's a pretty good move from the club. In reality, if someone wants Zac now before the end of the year, they need to pony up a player/players for a swap that the club are happy to move forward with. Alternatively, Zac can't go until the end of the year - can't even sign or talk to other clubs until the end of the year.

So in the event we continue to improve and play finals, it may make him think twice about his decision and he may want to stay. And then the club again is in the box seat given they've cancelled his contract for the final 2 years. If he wants to stay, we will more than likely offer a lower contract given these series of events. Again, we are playing hardball and putting the ball in his court.

I like that we are taking this stance. If he doesn't want to be here or he thinks he's better than the club, then let him go. I'm sick of players holding us to ransom, disruptive players or players coming for a free ride into retirement. It's about time we cleaned that shit up and brought in players that want to play for the club and put in - and not just because they are looking for a better deal elsewhere.
Clubs can talk to him now. He doesn't have a contract for next year.

Gardenia

Juniors
I think that releasing Lomax for next year has been a very smart move by the club. I like the strategy in that they have essentially torn up his contract for the next 2 years but retained him for this year unless we get a top-tier player in return - pretty unlikely IMO. If he wants his pay packet from 2025 onwards then he needs to play to impress, so we are not dragged down by a plodder who does not want to be there. We look good, he is happy and we have $800K added to our piggy bank. There is the risk his contract for next year is wrapped up quickly and he just cruises. Wouldn't love that at all and hoping it doesn't happen.
I just hope that Mr. Flanagan has some solid targets lined up for 2025.
Zac is a great footballer and he will get better and I wish him the best. Shame that a talented Junior who we developed is going elsewhere. Hoping that we build pride in our club and our kids coming through want to stay.

It is a tad annoying but we cant have 2 players agitating for a release that we are holding on to. It isn't a great look so we didn't really have a choice here either. Not when we want to attract talent.

Last edited: