What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Hi All, there are so many opinions about Zac Lomax ( including my own).

I am unconcerned about Zac leaving. I do congratulate the young man for playing 6 seasons of NRL; an accomplishment few reach.

I still remember being at Jubilee Ave in 2017 near the end of the season and Zac got his 1st cameo late match NRL start. I watched him moving around and try to scramble across field to stop a try by the opposition in the south east corner. I noticed he just didn’t seem to be that quick.

In 2018 he played NRL regularly in a good side and did reasonably well. I recall his successful pressure goal near the end of our close semi final loss to Souths.

Since then Zac has on occasion been brilliant with sublime high ball catches, running a good line, getting a flick to Rava. However, he has never been a Staggs, Best, Crichton, Manu, Farnworth, Holmes, Mitchell, Whighton as some dashing examples only. Unfortunately that lack of high end speed / dash has hounded him Imo in his career. Yet it seems he is on their $$$ money or moreTherefore, Zac in my view ( even considering he is a goal kicker) takes far too much cap and I guess Flanno knew that even prior to arriving as head coach.

Good luck to Zac for his future sporting endeavours, including possibly playing out 2024 with us.
Imo being labeled as "The Gifted One" early in his career has done him no favours. Unfortunately Zac has listened, believes and thinks he is a better centre than he is. He should have thanked Flano for playing him on the wing this year because his chances of a SOO spot on the wing is more likely than as a centre.

The elephant in the room is Flanno.

Hes clearly not on the Zac train at all and I think Zac resents him for it.

A case of the entitlement that comes with being one of the better players and being too friendly with Bunt, who threw him under the bus anyway.

Flanno strikes back and promptly releases him to try his luck on the open market and as raised above, the rivers of cash aren’t flowing. The very public meeting with Brad is leaked to a variety of media sources.

Flanno doesn’t care and his proposed swap of Paulo, Gutho or Moses is entirely fantasy and can’t be met, so he is effectively punishing Zac.

So I think Zac is prepared to cop a loss of some sort to justify his bad feelings for Flanno. He comes across as immature. This is a professional sport, the best interests of the club first and if flanno thinks he’s the best fit as a winger given everyone else’s strengths and weakness, suck it up Zac and just play hard and strong there.

The sadness for me comes with the bad influence on youngsters and the Sloans of the world who are up and coming and genuinely want to bring honour and success to the jersey.

The vast majority of all footy players, they would kill for a regular fg position anywhere. It’s an amazing accomplishment in its own right.

Anything beyond that is icing.

A lot of nrl players are on the lower income, many of those don’t complain.
He has "sucked it up and played hard and strong on the wing". FFS, he's been our best player this year. The vast majority of NRL players- nearly all of them- do not train nearly as hard or play nearly as hard as Lomax. If only all 17 of our players had the same "attitude problem". If all 17 had played at his level, we'd be 5 from 5.

He has "sucked it up and played hard and strong on the wing". FFS, he's been our best player this year. The vast majority of NRL players- nearly all of them- do not train nearly as hard or play nearly as hard as Lomax. If only all 17 of our players had the same "attitude problem". If all 17 had played at his level, we'd be 5 from 5.
I don’t care if he’s the reincarnation of Churchill.

He’s a Dragon.

And Dragons do not white-ant their club.

justadragon

Bench
Sorry mate can agree with a couple of your points but not all of them. For starters he was put in a position by the coach in the best interest of the team, his attitude problem is me first then team. He's been our best player in the position he hates, he could be in the SOO picture in a position he hates. Who put him there, what club as now has been proven is paying him way overs for being a centre, stats have shown as was explained to him that he is amongst the worst centres in the comp. So yes he does have an attitude problem, he thinks he's bigger than the club and now wants to go somewhere else where he might still fall on his own sword. We have seen some big name players being dropped to ressies and shuffled around but we haven't had the carry on we have had for months as we've had with Lomax, he's not an immortal or SOO player, as a matter of fact he isn't anything. maybe in his own head he really believes he's the "Gifted One" with a sense of entitlement. And before you go there I would say the same thing about Hunt and still do.

Sorry mate can agree with a couple of your points but not all of them. For starters he was put in a position by the coach in the best interest of the team, his attitude problem is me first then team. He's been our best player in the position he hates, he could be in the SOO picture in a position he hates. Who put him there, what club as now has been proven is paying him way overs for being a centre, stats have shown as was explained to him that he is amongst the worst centres in the comp. So yes he does have an attitude problem, he thinks he's bigger than the club and now wants to go somewhere else where he might still fall on his own sword. We have seen some big name players being dropped to ressies and shuffled around but we haven't had the carry on we have had for months as we've had with Lomax, he's not an immortal or SOO player, as a matter of fact he isn't anything. maybe in his own head he really believes he's the "Gifted One" with a sense of entitlement. And before you go there I would say the same thing about Hunt and still do.
My point is that his attitude problem has not stopped him helping the team more than any other player!

You may want to consider he is playing at that level to maintain his contract price, which he wont do. He never had stats like that in the centres.
If he cared only about money. He wouldn't have torn up a high paying contract. He played very well at the back end of last year too.

When you watch a game live at the ground, you get a real appreciation for a player like Lomax. I don't care about stats. He's a very special player.

justadragon

Bench
If he cared only about money. He wouldn't have torn up a high paying contract. He played very well at the back end of last year too.

When you watch a game live at the ground, you get a real appreciation for a player like Lomax. I don't care about stats. He's a very special player.
I have watched him many times live at Win and Jub, plus Anzac day. As for being a special player, do you rate him above Cooper or Gasnier ?

I have watched him many times live at Win and Jub, plus Anzac day. As for being a special player, do you rate him above Cooper or Gasnier ?
I know he won’t be better than Reg!

I saw both Mark and Cooper play from a young age. Mark was truly unstoppable in attack when given early ball. Cooper became a perfect centre. They were both special in their own way. Lomax is different again. He’s like a Tedesco or Edwards. He”s only 24. I don’t know how good he’ll be. I do know that he is our best player right now.

I know he won’t be better than Reg!

I saw both Mark and Cooper play from a young age. Mark was truly unstoppable in attack when given early ball. Cooper became a perfect centre. They were both special in their own way. Lomax is different again. He’s like a Tedesco or Edwards. He”s only 24. I don’t know how good he’ll be. I do know that he is our best player right now.
I didn’t say he wasn’t a good player, but that he’s not a team player.

And when a club is struggling and the team is trying to find its way, you don’t announce to the world you want out.

The hope of the side Is flanno. You buy in or check out.

Poor old South’s let the lunatics run the asylum…

Even Bunt has reconsidered his selfishness.

Anyway, that’s my view.

We might have to agree to disagree on this one!

VodkaSaint

Juniors
the timing of Zac wanting out and contracts torn up is just insane
Brad Arthur might not even be there next year
The Club might be back peddling atm having to be stuck with an 800k contract even though they pay zac less they are still stuck with 800k of the salary cap
I mean they might not even sign him, wtf will do now if that happens

Last edited:
I just watch the games. I think football is about what you do on the field. I don't think coming to a mutual agreement with a club to terminate a contract means you are not a team player. Playing hard and doing your job makes you a team player. The team is struggling because some of the other players do not play hard enough and do not do their jobs. They might give lovely interviews and be happy to sign extensions, but that doesn't win football games.

I just watch the games. I think football is about what you do on the field. I don't think coming to a mutual agreement with a club to terminate a contract means you are not a team player. Playing hard and doing your job makes you a team player. The team is struggling because some of the other players do not play hard enough and do not do their jobs. They might give lovely interviews and be happy to sign extensions, but that doesn't win football games.
I don’t think seeking a release 7 times before round 6 and visiting another coach for dinner about your future plans is being a team player.

He’s not sending the right message out.

Other players are trying their guts out, doing their job and aren’t stuffing their faces with lamb stew.

He could have shut all this down but he didn’t.

Because he’s unhappy.

Hes a got a set on Flanno. Flannos not going anywhere, he just arrived!

SGI has made him wealthy. No gratitude for that, just grumblings!