What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Dragon David

First Grade
Contract is finished and don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out !!!
Exactly. Lomax's contractual arrangements with the Dragons ends when we play our last game in 2024. So in my view, whatever we were going to pay him in 2025 and 2026 would have no bearing on what another club should pay him. This other club might just offer him $450K, which could be his market value at that time particularly if he doesn't make Origin and his form plummets. He would have no further involvement with the Dragons as he wanted out and therefore we would not be held responsible for any shortcomings of payments. Had we asked Lomax to leave and he decided to get his manager to seek other interested clubs to sign him, then his manager could come back to the Dragons with a deal that Lomax would agree with the club's request for him to leave and the club that is keen to sign him has offered to pay him for the first year $450K and would the Dragons therefore pay the rest of his current contract payment of say $350K and then it would be quits.

It becomes more or less us signing a new guy who has no contract and we offer an amount that both parties would agree to. Am I making any sense with this and am I missing anything?

Exactly. Lomax's contractual arrangements with the Dragons ends when we play our last game in 2024. So in my view, whatever we were going to pay him in 2025 and 2026 would have no bearing on what another club should pay him. This other club might just offer him $450K, which could be his market value at that time particularly if he doesn't make Origin and his form plummets. He would have no further involvement with the Dragons as he wanted out and therefore we would not be held responsible for any shortcomings of payments. Had we asked Lomax to leave and he decided to get his manager to seek other interested clubs to sign him, then his manager could come back to the Dragons with a deal that Lomax would agree with the club's request for him to leave and the club that is keen to sign him has offered to pay him for the first year $450K and would the Dragons therefore pay the rest of his current contract payment of say $350K and then it would be quits.

It becomes more or less us signing a new guy who has no contract and we offer an amount that both parties would agree to. Am I making any sense with this and am I missing anything?
I can’t see any issues with your account.

I was just thinking that he can’t be that stupid to throw away the difference between what he could get here and elsewhere without some idea of his expected loss.

You should never leave a job and have nothing to replace it with. Mindless.

The only reason you would do that is if you really hated where you are now. Problems with Flanno or other players.

I’m very suspicious, I think we don’t know the truth. Maybe we have to ring Brad Arthur to find out …which sux.

I’d rather he go asap tbh. He’s despised as it is.

But there will be plenty of recruitment white-line-fever coming as the coaches realise who isn’t cutting it.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if Zac can step up this week. He should.

Up against Junior who is lighting fast and evasive at times, but doesn’t have the range of skills and dare I say it, the creativity of Zac.

The bench selections for both sides suggests everyone is expecting a bloodbath!

Bud is going to get belted as sure as night follows day. Im happy to take a sportsman’s bet.

DJDL

Bench
I don't understand the whole Zac to the Eels talk.

He supposedly wants out because:
- He wants to play fullback
- If he can't play fullback, he wants to play in the centres
- He doesn't want to play left centre

Last time I checked, Gutho played fullback for the Eels and Will Penisini plays right centre.
On top of that, they have Blaize Tuilagi coming through in the centre as well.

Where does Lomax fit in?

Last time I checked, Gutho played fullback for the Eels and Will Penisini plays right centre.

Where does Lomax fit in?
The answer may lie within the 41-8 flogging by the Raiders on Sunday

justadragon

Bench
And now Lomax's worst nightmare has eventuated because apparently the Eels are not going to offer him$800K or above, they reckon around $650K - $700K , with the Dragons having to wear no input because of his exit clause. So well done Zac and congrats to your management who struck up this deal. LMAO !!!

since77

Juniors

Where does Lomax fit in?
Well I'd take Lomax over Penisini every day of the week.......No brainer.

How can a player take a 15-20% pay cut to go another club?
Must have some suspect 3rd party stuff happening?
It's quite possible. There is a club in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney that seems to be able to sign established players to discounted salaries. Some people suspect that they actually pay the players more than they claim. Some very clever people at Parramatta might have hit on the same strategy.

And now Lomax's worst nightmare has eventuated because apparently the Eels are not going to offer him$800K or above, they reckon around $650K - $700K , with the Dragons having to wear no input because of his exit clause. So well done Zac and congrats to your management who struck up this deal. LMAO !!!
If he is not actually getting the same money that he would have got from us, then it won't be because he and his management stuffed up. They clearly knew what they were giving up by agreeing to terminate the contract early. So if he's not getting the same money, it must be because he is prioritising something else.

The elephant in the room is Flanno.

Hes clearly not on the Zac train at all and I think Zac resents him for it.

A case of the entitlement that comes with being one of the better players and being too friendly with Bunt, who threw him under the bus anyway.

Flanno strikes back and promptly releases him to try his luck on the open market and as raised above, the rivers of cash aren’t flowing. The very public meeting with Brad is leaked to a variety of media sources.

Flanno doesn’t care and his proposed swap of Paulo, Gutho or Moses is entirely fantasy and can’t be met, so he is effectively punishing Zac.

So I think Zac is prepared to cop a loss of some sort to justify his bad feelings for Flanno. He comes across as immature. This is a professional sport, the best interests of the club first and if flanno thinks he’s the best fit as a winger given everyone else’s strengths and weakness, suck it up Zac and just play hard and strong there.

The sadness for me comes with the bad influence on youngsters and the Sloans of the world who are up and coming and genuinely want to bring honour and success to the jersey.

The vast majority of all footy players, they would kill for a regular fg position anywhere. It’s an amazing accomplishment in its own right.

Anything beyond that is icing.

A lot of nrl players are on the lower income, many of those don’t complain.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The elephant in the room is Flanno.

Hes clearly not on the Zac train at all and I think Zac resents him for it.

A case of the entitlement that comes with being one of the better players and being too friendly with Bunt, who threw him under the bus anyway.

Flanno strikes back and promptly releases him to try his luck on the open market and as raised above, the rivers of cash aren’t flowing. The very public meeting with Brad is leaked to a variety of media sources.

Flanno doesn’t care and his proposed swap of Paulo, Gutho or Moses is entirely fantasy and can’t be met, so he is effectively punishing Zac.

So I think Zac is prepared to cop a loss of some sort to justify his bad feelings for Flanno. He comes across as immature. This is a professional sport, the best interests of the club first and if flanno thinks he’s the best fit as a winger given everyone else’s strengths and weakness, suck it up Zac and just play hard and strong there.

The sadness for me comes with the bad influence on youngsters and the Sloans of the world who are up and coming and genuinely want to bring honour and success to the jersey.

The vast majority of all footy players, they would kill for a regular fg position anywhere. It’s an amazing accomplishment in its own right.

Anything beyond that is icing.

A lot of nrl players are on the lower income, many of those don’t complain.
"The sadness for me comes with the bad influence on youngsters and the Sloans of the world who are up and coming and genuinely want to bring honour and success to the jersey."

I totally agree with this Silverdale.

justadragon

Bench
If he is not actually getting the same money that he would have got from us, then it won't be because he and his management stuffed up. They clearly knew what they were giving up by agreeing to terminate the contract early. So if he's not getting the same money, it must be because he is prioritising something else.
There was an article I read today that the Eels dont want $800K plus put onto their salary cap because " that is not Lomax's true value" apparently there is some exemption they can apply for, but one thing is for sure he's not getting anything like at the Dragons. Oh well such is life I suppose when you are a dickhead !!

sammymills

Juniors
There was an article I read today that the Eels dont want $800K plus put onto their salary cap because " that is not Lomax's true value" apparently there is some exemption they can apply for, but one thing is for sure he's not getting anything like at the Dragons. Oh well such is life I suppose when you are a dickhead !!
i think i read somewhere he is asking for a clause in his contract so that he can do professional boxing which will allow him to make up the shortfall

Slippery Morris

First Grade
How would you feel being Lomax. Guaranteed 850k apparently from next year and 875k the following at Saints. Parra tap him up and get him to force a release of his contract. Then when it is done, tell him he is not worth what the Saints are paying him. Wow. Surely that would have been part of the conversation between Lomax and Parra, which is how much will you offer if I am successful in getting a release. If Lomax is pi$$ed at Saints for whatever, going to a club that values you less than what you earn is not good start to that. He seems a prickly type of guy.

If Lomax goes, he may go to fullback and Gutho to centre or wing is what I heard is the plan. Gutho can even go in the halves in Moses or Brown get injured. Penisini not moving and Blaike or Simonsen will stay centre I am hearing.

Parra are now asking the NRL to allow them to pay 200k less a season to get him. Are they that oblivious not to think they would have to pay teh salary cap amount? A team that has been caught cheating the cap of all things should know the rules better than any other team.

This is a club that did not want to pay Reed Mahoney 650k to stay and brought in an injury prone Josh Hodgson from the Raider who played a handful of games whilst Mahoney at 24 or whatever could potentially play for Qld in the future. They have youngsters now playing hooker who are no way near as good as Mahoney. Last I heard, hooker is a part of the spine and much more important that an outside back.

If that has not turned Lomax off already I don't know what will.

As for Flanno not getting on with Lomax? Really, he has been giving him player of the match a few times this season after games during these dramas, playing him at wing which he is excelling in and potential might be given a NSW jumper to play that position. The closest he has been to get a NSW jumper since he started NRL and Flanno continually picks him in his best 17 each week. Flanno does not seem to be doing anything wrong apart from not putting him in a position he does not want to play which is more on Lomax than Flanno. Even the ex-players state that you play any position the coach puts you if for the better of the team.

As for Gus, apart from the TPG stuff up, doesn't Lomax want to box as well. Saints could have used that excuse if they wanted him gone as well I suppose. Has anyone heard anything more about the kid suing the Dogs for last year how he was treated and is now suffering mental illness? I like how the media keep that quiet because it is the Dogs. Imagine if that was Saints.....Wow. Gus should worry about his own $hite club rather than throw stones at others at every chance.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, there are so many opinions about Zac Lomax ( including my own).

I am unconcerned about Zac leaving. I do congratulate the young man for playing 6 seasons of NRL; an accomplishment few reach.

I still remember being at Jubilee Ave in 2017 near the end of the season and Zac got his 1st cameo late match NRL start. I watched him moving around and try to scramble across field to stop a try by the opposition in the south east corner. I noticed he just didn’t seem to be that quick.

In 2018 he played NRL regularly in a good side and did reasonably well. I recall his successful pressure goal near the end of our close semi final loss to Souths.

Since then Zac has on occasion been brilliant with sublime high ball catches, running a good line, getting a flick to Rava. However, he has never been a Staggs, Best, Crichton, Manu, Farnworth, Holmes, Mitchell, Whighton as some dashing examples only. Unfortunately that lack of high end speed / dash has hounded him Imo in his career. Yet it seems he is on their $$$ money or moreTherefore, Zac in my view ( even considering he is a goal kicker) takes far too much cap and I guess Flanno knew that even prior to arriving as head coach.

Good luck to Zac for his future sporting endeavours, including possibly playing out 2024 with us.