What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Do people understand that it is extremely hard to find good 1st Graders at the moment. The Dolphins coming into the comp hasn't helped as any good player is snapped up quicker and costs more. Even Bennett struggled to get a Marque and boy did he try.

People saying let Ben go, let Lomax go, don't resign Sua.....is just madness. Who replaces them if you let them go.? Ben Hunt is a quality rep player, Lomax has shown in his 3 games this season just how good he is, Sua is a quality representative level backrower. It is absolute madness to even suggest we let them go....without a like for like replacement. Remember in the current climate like for like replacements are just not available. And if they are, Gus signs them.
Lomax is 24. Sua is 26. We can't afford to lose them.

Hunt is 34 and relies heavily on his running game. He will need to be replaced soon whether we let him go or not. If we were competing for a premiership this year and next, then we would need to hold onto him. But by the time we are good he won't be.

Reddragon

Bench
Do people understand that it is extremely hard to find good 1st Graders at the moment. The Dolphins coming into the comp hasn't helped as any good player is snapped up quicker and costs more. Even Bennett struggled to get a Marque and boy did he try.

People saying let Ben go, let Lomax go, don't resign Sua.....is just madness. Who replaces them if you let them go.? Ben Hunt is a quality rep player, Lomax has shown in his 3 games this season just how good he is, Sua is a quality representative level backrower. It is absolute madness to even suggest we let them go....without a like for like replacement. Remember in the current climate like for like replacements are just not available. And if they are, Gus signs them.
The most sensible post for ages. It takes years for players to adjust to the NRL & there just isn’t the talent pool. Halfbacks are so rare.
When so-called fans want to get rid of everyone, I think they just must be 12.

Parko1310

Juniors

Sport Confidential: Zac Lomax push to exit the Dragons intensifies​

St George Illawarra have drawn up their wishlist of Zac Lomax replacement targets and top of the list are a Parramatta excitement machine and a Melbourne man mountain.
Brent Read and Michael Carayannis

less than 2 min read
March 28, 2024 - 12:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://archive.md/msgMN#share-tools
Zac lomax has intensified his push to leave the Dragons. Picture: David Swift

St George Illawarra are preparing for Zac Lomax to ask for an immediate release as the parties prepare for crunch talks next week.
Lomax is again expected to request to exit the club immediately. The Dragons’ indicated before round one that they would put any potential talks on his future on hold until after round four. That time will come next week after the Dragons play Manly on Saturday night. No formal meeting has planned for next week as yet however is an anticipation that a call will come from Lomax’s management to the Dragons camp where they could again intimate Lomax’s desire to leave the club.
Zac lomax has made it clear he wants out of the Dragons. Picture: David Swift

The Dragons have already told Lomax they have no intention to release him despite Parramatta circling. The door is slightly ajar to cut Lomax adrift at season’s end which would free up about $800,000 off St George Illawarra’s books. Parramatta have the scope to land him now.
The Dragons could be enticed to let Lomax go immediately should a rival club propose a player swap. They wouldn’t hesitate if the Eels would be prepared to part with emerging young gun Blaize Talagi but that would be at long odds from occurring.
St George Illawarra are also aware of growing unrest regarding Nelson Asofa-Solomona at the Storm.
Parramatta’s impressive youngster Blaize Talagi is high on St George’s wishlist. Picture: NRL Photos

Parramatta’s impressive youngster Blaize Talagi is high on St George’s wishlist. Picture: NRL Photos
Nelson Asofa-Solomona and the Storm. Picture: David Crosling

They are yet to engage in any talks of a potential player swap until they have some clarity surrounding Lomax. Salary cap space is not a concern for the Dragons – they have plenty of wiggle room – but need to secure some high profile players to fill any potential void.
Despite the uncertainty surrounding Lomax’s future, he has proved to be a revelation playing on the wing for the Dragons to start the season and has been easily their best player.
His desire to shift back to centre could come as soon as next week with Jack Bird on notice after a poor showing in recent weeks.
His form has been noticed by NSW coach Michael Maguire who has told Lomax that he is on the radar for a potential Origin debut.

Parko1310

Juniors
Anyone got access to this?

This could all honestly go away pretty quickly if Lomax moves back to the centres next week. Good to see that Bird is reportedly on notice, he should pretty clearly be dropped. I'm not sure why Flano is even giving him this extra week, its a really important game on Saturday and he is marking Koula who has unbelievable speed. That's a recipe for disaster, just bite the bullet and drop Bird now. If Lomax does go back to the centres and still wants out, then something deeper has gone on and the relationship is probably untenable

sammymills

Juniors

Sport Confidential: Zac Lomax push to exit the Dragons intensifies​

St George Illawarra have drawn up their wishlist of Zac Lomax replacement targets and top of the list are a Parramatta excitement machine and a Melbourne man mountain.
Brent Read and Michael Carayannis

less than 2 min read
March 28, 2024 - 12:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://archive.md/msgMN#share-tools

St George Illawarra are preparing for Zac Lomax to ask for an immediate release as the parties prepare for crunch talks next week.
Lomax is again expected to request to exit the club immediately. The Dragons’ indicated before round one that they would put any potential talks on his future on hold until after round four. That time will come next week after the Dragons play Manly on Saturday night. No formal meeting has planned for next week as yet however is an anticipation that a call will come from Lomax’s management to the Dragons camp where they could again intimate Lomax’s desire to leave the club.

The Dragons have already told Lomax they have no intention to release him despite Parramatta circling. The door is slightly ajar to cut Lomax adrift at season’s end which would free up about $800,000 off St George Illawarra’s books. Parramatta have the scope to land him now.
The Dragons could be enticed to let Lomax go immediately should a rival club propose a player swap. They wouldn’t hesitate if the Eels would be prepared to part with emerging young gun Blaize Talagi but that would be at long odds from occurring.
St George Illawarra are also aware of growing unrest regarding Nelson Asofa-Solomona at the Storm.

They are yet to engage in any talks of a potential player swap until they have some clarity surrounding Lomax. Salary cap space is not a concern for the Dragons – they have plenty of wiggle room – but need to secure some high profile players to fill any potential void.
Despite the uncertainty surrounding Lomax’s future, he has proved to be a revelation playing on the wing for the Dragons to start the season and has been easily their best player.
His desire to shift back to centre could come as soon as next week with Jack Bird on notice after a poor showing in recent weeks.
His form has been noticed by NSW coach Michael Maguire who has told Lomax that he is on the radar for a potential Origin debut.
Thanks for sharing Parko
To me seems stupid to swap Lomax who has probably been our best played this season for Talagi its not exactly like for like is it?
Also do we have any other goal kickers in our team?

Parko1310

Juniors
Thanks for sharing Parko
To me seems stupid to swap Lomax who has probably been our best played this season for Talagi its not exactly like for like is it?
Also do we have any other goal kickers in our team?
Definitely not currently, but Talagi is certainly very talented. If the Eels desperately want an outside back, I'd offer them Ravalawa and see if they take that for a swap with one of their players. I think Lomax will eventually move back to centre and go well after a stint on the wing. Bird out, Lomax to right centre and then we can promote someone else to the left wing. Ravalawa has never been good enough in my opinion. Kyle's a goal kicker, but I don't want him in first grade long term, he should be a back up hooker/half at best playing most games in reserve grade. Anyway, the Lomax situation could be worse than what it looks right now in terms of his relationship with Flano. It remains to be seen if this goes away if he moves back to centre, so still a lot of water to go under the bridge. If the situation is untenable then I'd definitely take Talagi in a swap for Lomax, it'd be a long term investment but a very good one in my opinion.

Gomarchin

Juniors

We only have a handful of quality NRL players in the side and should do everything we can to keep them.

Especially because we have no chance of recruiting these type of players. We only can manage to recruit the rejects or has beens.

Dragon David

First Grade
We only have a handful of quality NRL players in the side and should do everything we can to keep them.

Especially because we have no chance of recruiting these type of players. We only can manage to recruit the rejects or has beens.
That is how I feel Gomarchin. In the past 5 or so years, we have not been able to secure anybody of any real note. Rejects, has beens, journeymen have been our recruits and with them, we have just been running on the same spot.

The availability of any top player is becoming fewer in numbers and those that do become available are snapped up by clubs which have a better chance of winning a premiership.

I just hope that the club will make sure that the young blokes playing in JF, SG etc are looked at closely and identify which ones they should not let go under any circumstances. We will rely on them because I just cannot see us getting quality from outside unless we pay way over their market value.

justadragon

Bench
FFS I'm long over constant stories about who wants out of the Dragons! Wake me up when it's over so I can go back to watching the game, leave fluff stories to MAFS. Keeps the missus happy but shits me to tears!
Yep 100%, the season was going to be hard enough without this crap going on,right on que, never any stability with the Dragons !!!

What you say is very true.
I don’t profess to getting rid of anyone without a better replacement but the fact that Flanno has promised/guaranteed Ben Hunt the half back role, as our Captain, limits our ability to adapt to circumstances or provide game experience to younger talent.

He should play 9, Flanagan should play half, Hunts a natural 5/8, Flanagan should kick more, we should appoint another captain, his comments destabilise the team, Flanagan should be first receiver more often, Hunts reverting to Hook-ball & 5th tackle ineffective bombs!

The current answer to all these questions/issues are the same:
“Ben Hunt’s our Catain & half” (and will sook)

Although I accept, he is a talented player, and there are bugger all quality halves around, I still don’t believe he will ever truly advance the team.

I won’t say “let Ben go” and I’ll still support the Red V with Hunt in the team, but I refuse to remove his face from the shed dart board.

st.phil

Bench
likely pure fluff but I'd be reallllll tempted by NAS for lomax. Persoanlly I think Flano has reviewed the books, seen what Zac is on and shat himself in shock... started with the "you are free to go" late last year

maestro1

Bench
Do not let Lomax go!!!!

He will be as good as everybody predicted. Heck, his last 3 games are showing this and he is a darn good goal kicker to boot. Never shirks, always puts in.

We need to keep him and add a few more quality players around him especially quick wingers. Imagine a Dom Young outside Lomax. Oh shit, I hope Uncle Nick doesn't read these forums. 😉😉

Do not let Lomax go!!!!

He will be as good as everybody predicted. Heck, his last 3 games are showing this and he is a darn good goal kicker to boot. Never shirks, always puts in.

We need to keep him and add a few more quality players around him especially quick wingers. Imagine a Dom Young outside Lomax. Oh shit, I hope Uncle Nick doesn't read these forums. 😉😉
Exactly!

Anyone who doesn't iunderstand how good Lomax already is and how good he is going to be has to watch him play live at the ground. Just keep one eye on him at all times. He is a special player.

BLM01

First Grade
FFS I'm long over constant stories about who wants out of the Dragons! Wake me up when it's over so I can go back to watching the game, leave fluff stories to MAFS. Keeps the missus happy but shits me to tears!
Yep and the Media rehash this as intensifying why? Cause Flanno mentioned R4 we will look at situation
Right on cue guess what round we are up to?
Why don’t we just do a swap or a short term loan / borrow basis this year only like Harry Grant did for Tigers and another year Nofa for etc and others and return next year
We wont make 8 anyway with or without Zac