What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

TheRev

First Grade
I love that he does that and always laugh at how easily he throws players around. I don't remember zac ever getting penalised for it, at worst the ref will stop the play to let the defender get back to marker but that's it, as long as they don't land in a bad way. Reminds me of how ben pomeroy used to ragdoll tacklers off of him.
I mean I agree, like f*** these guys sitting on top.. but he did get penalised once, maybe even on report.. the bloke ended up in a dangerous position on his head... it always seems like a gamble to me.. but surely there are plenty of other NRL players strong enough to do it?

watatank

Coach
Lomax is probably the strongest at the club but probably not the competition. It just seems to me that Lomax is a strong guy and he wants people to know it so you see things like that sometimes.

TBH I think he's better when he's not trying to show off his abilities and just concentrates on making his runs and making his tackles. He can be a strong guy but he's using that to make good post contact metres and find the ground. He's got good footwork but he's using that to get between defenders.

Shame he's started to put that together now because he could probably be more effective at centre now. Anyway he's gone at the end of the year

since77

Juniors
I love that he does that and always laugh at how easily he throws players around. I don't remember zac ever getting penalised for it, at worst the ref will stop the play to let the defender get back to marker but that's it, as long as they don't land in a bad way. Reminds me of how ben pomeroy used to ragdoll tacklers off of him.
He has been penalised for it in the past and it’s a stupid thing to do. Totally unnecessary. The time he was penalised for it he gave the ball back to the opposition not far away from our line. Brain dead.

justadragon

Bench
Is that a fact or supposition. I dont recall him actually putting on record that he 'wanted out' under Griffin. Anyway is now 'water under the bridge'. be interesting to see where the new Eels coach plays him.
I agree mate, we all have to let this go at some stage, I'm just as disappointed as you but I'm also pissed off with Lomax for not at least trying to resolve it. There probably is way more to it and we will never know, and in a way I dont want to now.

TheRev

First Grade
Yep I've heard that rumour isnt true, I suspect hes looking forward to a reset.

In terms of the inner drama between Zac and other players/coaches, im with you justa, I dont rly want to or think we will ever know the truth.. im sure its messy and im sure there there are 2 sides to it all.. its in the past, just want blokes who are keen to be part of the next chapter.

I doubt he wants out of the eels, too proud and the reports say they succumbed to his wishes.

In the meantime, Flanno doesn’t want off field tantrums disrupting team bonding.

He could have turned into another pr disaster known as Hunt. Even fans from other clubs were wtf ing about his theatrics. Why Hunt is still at the club is a mystery.

Zac has promised to speak to the move once he’s actually left.We will see if he wants to dump on the club or on individuals at that point which is of course another mistake.

Hes become one of the games best players this season, finally meeting his promise under the stewardship of Flanno and co.

And to up and leave like he has, for unders, from an outsiders view, it’s got that rancid stench of “cheapening the jersey.”

SGI needs to be a destination club and not a thoroughfare. Pride in the jersey, the club and the thousands of people who tie their flag to your mast come hell or high water.

Im glad Flanno and the high officials called his bluff and burnt his contract.

Last edited:
i think zac will be chasing a lot of moses kicks next year ... as moses imo has a much better kicking game than hunt.
couldnt believe parra couldnt get the choccys against knights last night sure they got some dud calls but they were horrible in the 2nd half..
I can’t see him kicking on as well with the eels. Too many variables.

He’s found the elusive magic formula at SGI under a talented premiership winning coach who is already over achieving.

Usually clubs are turning over about 28% of their squad each season.

Im expecting a very different and much stronger and tougher SGI side in the near future.

The Flanno formula of tried and trusted and young break outs.

Cookie is exactly the type of player to lead the charge of the veteran signings.

Not so much his attitude, playing style, and personality, but he comes in a bit like Ennis came into that Sharks side.

Extensive knowledge and understanding of virtually every aspect of the game. if you don’t have that, it’s very difficult to win matches.

I think this has been part of the eels decline this year. Talent unable to be optimised and their window closing.

Hopefully resolved by the time zac arrives, hence the importance of the coaching job.

Could Lomax slips back to pre Flanno form? It‘s a real possibility with Parramatta having to take on an untried rookie coach, their talent roster dwindling with age while sacrificing $200K a year. This could go down as one of the dumbest player’s decision in NRL history.
I think he’s been listening to the wrong people. Someone has sold him some rubbish about being in grand finals and he can box and he can play where he wants to.

And a nice fat juicy TPA, guaranteed job after his career blah blah.

And before the Lomaxians come after me, yes, I think he’s an outstanding player and right here and now, I think he should play for his country. I would select him and I can’t honour his game more than that.

hewi

Bench
Either he is as dumb as dog poo or there is something or someone he doesn’t like.

registered-breach-pixel

Why the first call a new Parramatta coach must make should be to Zac Lomax​

Zac Lomax has every right to be feeling confused and have more than an element of regret over his decision to quit St George Illawarra, writes DAVID RICCIO.
David Riccio David RiccioChief Sports Writer

@DaveRic1

3 min read
July 1, 2024 - 11:58AM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/XsJLJ#share-tools
4d4bf5a64b2f0f8adf62ac33ec6b7bc215122405.webp

The boys debate whether they would rather their teams win a premiership or State of Origin, they look at the issues at the Eels, plus answer more of your listener questions.
Parramatta’s appointment of a new head coach has never been more paramount.
Just ask Zac Lomax.
The Eels are expected to conclude their process to find a coach this weekend, bringing an end to their profiling of leading candidates Jason Ryles, Josh Hannay, Dean Young and Trent Barrett.
The next step will be to strike a deal this week before commencing a new chapter at Parramatta.
One of the first phone calls that the new Eels coach – most likely between Ryles and Hannay – must make is to Lomax.
Lomax has every right to be feeling confused and walking around with an element of regret over his decision to quit St George-Illawarra.
Everything about the move no longer makes sense.
Let’s start with the reason he begged the Dragons for a release last April.
Is Zac Lomax regretting his decision to leave the Dragons? Picture: Getty Images

Is Zac Lomax regretting his decision to leave the Dragons? Picture: Getty Images
Although he has never said it publicly – and neither has he denied it – it’s widely assumed Lomax wasn’t keen on Dragons coach Shane Flanagan’s decision to move him to the wing in round one this year.
The footballer that Brad Fittler calls “The Chosen One” saw himself as a centre.
The entire rugby league world has watched what has happened ever since, Test coach Mal Meninga included.
If Meninga is picking on form, he would have Lomax pulling on the green and gold for Australia at the end of this season.
Lomax is well on track to being named the Dragons Player of The Year – the first winger at the club to do so since superstar Brett Morris in 2012.
Lomax was within 10 points of the Dally M medal when voting went behind closed doors last month.
He’s scored 11 tries in 13 games so far and in an incredible feat, achieved a club record 32 points in 80 minutes against the Wests Tigers in round 14.
Consider that achievement when you factor in the many wonderful pointscoring players that have pulled on the Red V since the joint venture’s first season in 1999, including Jamie Soward, Gareth Widdop, Mark Riddell and Matt Cooper.
Lomax scored 32 points in the match between St George Illawarra Dragons and the Wests Tigers in round 14. Picture: Getty Images

Lomax scored 32 points in the match between St George Illawarra Dragons and the Wests Tigers in round 14. Picture: Getty Images
Then there was his performance on the wing for NSW in front of 90,084 fans at the MCG last Wednesday night.
By halftime of the Blues emphatic win over Queensland, Lomax had etched his name into the history books with the equal third most points (18) in a match behind Ryan Girdler 32 (game three, 2000) and Nathan Cleary 24 (game two, 2022).
Remember, this was just his second Origin game.
Out on the sideline, the Temora-born talent has been playing with a renewed attitude and level of intensity that is more lethal than what he was ever able to display consistently at centre.
The wing position has simplified his role and his mindset, no better example of which, is the decline in that hail mary flick pass.
Is there a better kick pressure player in the game?
Consider his effort plays to scream down field, launch his 94kg frame up over the opposition fullback and pull back the footy for his side. They are efforts that change games.
He has moments not made for the highlights reel too.
Go back to the 24th minute of Origin II at the MCG.
When with one boot pointed over the touch line, he caught the Maroons kick-off on the full to gift the Blues a penalty on halfway and the only invitation they needed to score two minutes later through Brian To’o.
22-0 nil, game over.
1688858fd712a40cb78d414241dca33d843a2644.jpg

State of Origin: Blues star Zac Lomax has revealed the extent of his knee injury following his incredible performance in Game II.
The irony of all this is that Lomax signed with the Eels at a time when he felt they were the club that could best offer him the chance to play centre.
Former Eels coach Brad Arthur was key to the decision, but now he’s gone. So key, Lomax was one of the first to call Arthur the day that he was sacked.
Over a steak at a barbecue, Arthur may have suggested to Lomax that he would be given first crack at centre, but no coach can make positional promises.
There was never a gold-plated guarantee the Eels centre position in 2025 would be his.
It’s why in between passing the pepper and salt, Arthur also raised the prospect of Lomax playing fullback.
Given what has since unfolded, including the Eels running last on the ladder for the first time since 2018, it would take a brave Ryles, Hannay, Young or Barrett to move Lomax from the wing.
Then there’s the money.
It’s been reported that Lomax signed a four-year deal with the Eels for less than what he had sitting on the table for 2025 with the Dragons.
It’s been written that Lomax was set to earn $850,000 in 2025 and $875,000 in 2026 at the Dragons, but has taken a significant pay cut to join the Parramatta side for around $650,000 per year.
By comparison, fellow centre-winger Valentine Holmes earns around $875,000 a season at the Cowboys.
Interestingly, the Dragons are yet to spend Lomax’s money.
It all doesn’t add up