What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Mojo

Bench
Is that a fact or supposition. I dont recall him actually putting on record that he 'wanted out' under Griffin. Anyway is now 'water under the bridge'. be interesting to see where the new Eels coach plays him.
I believe he first asked for a release in April 23. Flanno signed-on in June 23 to take over head coach in 24. So, it was around the time of the end of Hook's tenure that he first sought a release.

Either he is as dumb as dog poo or there is something or someone he doesn’t like.

View attachment 90442

Why the first call a new Parramatta coach must make should be to Zac Lomax​

Zac Lomax has every right to be feeling confused and have more than an element of regret over his decision to quit St George Illawarra, writes DAVID RICCIO.
David Riccio David RiccioChief Sports Writer
@DaveRic1

3 min read
July 1, 2024 - 11:58AM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/XsJLJ#share-tools
4d4bf5a64b2f0f8adf62ac33ec6b7bc215122405.webp

The boys debate whether they would rather their teams win a premiership or State of Origin, they look at the issues at the Eels, plus answer more of your listener questions.
Parramatta’s appointment of a new head coach has never been more paramount.
Just ask Zac Lomax.
The Eels are expected to conclude their process to find a coach this weekend, bringing an end to their profiling of leading candidates Jason Ryles, Josh Hannay, Dean Young and Trent Barrett.
The next step will be to strike a deal this week before commencing a new chapter at Parramatta.
One of the first phone calls that the new Eels coach – most likely between Ryles and Hannay – must make is to Lomax.
Lomax has every right to be feeling confused and walking around with an element of regret over his decision to quit St George-Illawarra.
Everything about the move no longer makes sense.
Let’s start with the reason he begged the Dragons for a release last April.
Is Zac Lomax regretting his decision to leave the Dragons? Picture: Getty Images

Is Zac Lomax regretting his decision to leave the Dragons? Picture: Getty Images
Although he has never said it publicly – and neither has he denied it – it’s widely assumed Lomax wasn’t keen on Dragons coach Shane Flanagan’s decision to move him to the wing in round one this year.
The footballer that Brad Fittler calls “The Chosen One” saw himself as a centre.
The entire rugby league world has watched what has happened ever since, Test coach Mal Meninga included.
If Meninga is picking on form, he would have Lomax pulling on the green and gold for Australia at the end of this season.
Lomax is well on track to being named the Dragons Player of The Year – the first winger at the club to do so since superstar Brett Morris in 2012.
Lomax was within 10 points of the Dally M medal when voting went behind closed doors last month.
He’s scored 11 tries in 13 games so far and in an incredible feat, achieved a club record 32 points in 80 minutes against the Wests Tigers in round 14.
Consider that achievement when you factor in the many wonderful pointscoring players that have pulled on the Red V since the joint venture’s first season in 1999, including Jamie Soward, Gareth Widdop, Mark Riddell and Matt Cooper.
Lomax scored 32 points in the match between St George Illawarra Dragons and the Wests Tigers in round 14. Picture: Getty Images

Lomax scored 32 points in the match between St George Illawarra Dragons and the Wests Tigers in round 14. Picture: Getty Images
Then there was his performance on the wing for NSW in front of 90,084 fans at the MCG last Wednesday night.
By halftime of the Blues emphatic win over Queensland, Lomax had etched his name into the history books with the equal third most points (18) in a match behind Ryan Girdler 32 (game three, 2000) and Nathan Cleary 24 (game two, 2022).
Remember, this was just his second Origin game.
Out on the sideline, the Temora-born talent has been playing with a renewed attitude and level of intensity that is more lethal than what he was ever able to display consistently at centre.
The wing position has simplified his role and his mindset, no better example of which, is the decline in that hail mary flick pass.
Is there a better kick pressure player in the game?
Consider his effort plays to scream down field, launch his 94kg frame up over the opposition fullback and pull back the footy for his side. They are efforts that change games.
He has moments not made for the highlights reel too.
Go back to the 24th minute of Origin II at the MCG.
When with one boot pointed over the touch line, he caught the Maroons kick-off on the full to gift the Blues a penalty on halfway and the only invitation they needed to score two minutes later through Brian To’o.
22-0 nil, game over.
1688858fd712a40cb78d414241dca33d843a2644.jpg

State of Origin: Blues star Zac Lomax has revealed the extent of his knee injury following his incredible performance in Game II.
The irony of all this is that Lomax signed with the Eels at a time when he felt they were the club that could best offer him the chance to play centre.
Former Eels coach Brad Arthur was key to the decision, but now he’s gone. So key, Lomax was one of the first to call Arthur the day that he was sacked.
Over a steak at a barbecue, Arthur may have suggested to Lomax that he would be given first crack at centre, but no coach can make positional promises.
There was never a gold-plated guarantee the Eels centre position in 2025 would be his.
It’s why in between passing the pepper and salt, Arthur also raised the prospect of Lomax playing fullback.
Given what has since unfolded, including the Eels running last on the ladder for the first time since 2018, it would take a brave Ryles, Hannay, Young or Barrett to move Lomax from the wing.
Then there’s the money.
It’s been reported that Lomax signed a four-year deal with the Eels for less than what he had sitting on the table for 2025 with the Dragons.
It’s been written that Lomax was set to earn $850,000 in 2025 and $875,000 in 2026 at the Dragons, but has taken a significant pay cut to join the Parramatta side for around $650,000 per year.
By comparison, fellow centre-winger Valentine Holmes earns around $875,000 a season at the Cowboys.
Interestingly, the Dragons are yet to spend Lomax’s money.
It all doesn’t add up
Thanks for posting.

What he’s missing is the determination of Flanno and the SGI officials to do the right thing by the club and sign players who actually want to be there and believe in Flanno.

SGI can’t back down now and the eels are desperate.

Plus Zac is open to being poorly advised and imho too proud to beg for forgiveness, try and stay here and cop the shiz sandwich that the eels offering.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Riccio's article is self-contradictory: Lomax asked for a release in April 23, ie; while Hook was the coach - and long before Flanno had even signed-on to take over and about 10 months before Flanno even started as the Head Coach.

Lomax has said it's not the move to the wing. If his decision has anything to do with the coaching he's been given, I reckon it would be more to do with the constant instability during the several years prior to the 23 season, probably compounded by Hook's decisions firstly to switch the side of the field he played on and then drop him from 1st grade.

I think if Lomax has any regrets (which, by the way, he has also said is not the case), it would be the obvious instability now happening at Parramatta.

However, I reckon it's much more likely he has concerns about the club that aren't related to his game or the squad. He has said as much.

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors
Riccio's article is self-contradictory: Lomax asked for a release in April 23, ie; while Hook was the coach - and long before Flanno had even signed-on to take over and about 10 months before Flanno even started as the Head Coach.

Lomax has said it's not the move to the wing. If his decision has anything to do with the coaching he's been given, I reckon it would be more to do with the constant instability during the several years prior to the 23 season, probably compounded by Hook's decisions firstly to switch the side of the field he played on and then drop him from 1st grade.

I think if Lomax has any regrets (which, by the way, he has also said is not the case), it would be the obvious instability now happening at Parramatta.

However, I reckon it's much more likely he has concerns about the club that aren't related to his game or the squad. He has said as much.
Never seen someone so " happy " to go to an opposition Club
Take a look at Stefano and Val Holmes....cant wait to get out of their current contracts ... ;) ;)

SEAT 1A

Bench

He was unhappy here, requested several releases. To his and the club's credit, was offered time to reconsider.

Lomas hasn't kicked stones with us and playing his best footy however, I think he will be playing with Parra.

I don't know how confused Lomax is however, I'm one confused Dragon supporter.

Yes, I’m not sure what else he’s meant to say.

Flanno quite rightly says the decision to let him go was not just his own call.

If he’s unhappy with the clubs fortunes in recent years, well it is what it is and nobody can do anything about it. Onwards.

The material change in his circumstances, all this magic and enchantment in his current game has been brought about by Flanno.

And it’s not just a passing fad, hes backing up and hitting new heights. There’s more good games ahead for him this year.

He’s tasting the sweet honey of marquee and I imagine it’s intoxicating.

matPORTS

Juniors
The club needs to move forward and not look back.

If, in the event of a backflip, would the NRL force the club to re-register him on the $850k?

Its not going to matter whether Lomax stays or not. Unless we sign some middles we will only remain, at best, a middle of the road team.

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
Flanno brought the best out of Lomax and it remains to be seen if a Parramatta rookie coach will be able to get Lomax to continue his current form. Parramatta are currently running last and it would seem their opportunity to win a premiership has passed them by. He may have put himself back into a club just like our previous era of being an also ran team while leaving the new look mighty Dragons which will become a premiership contender in the coming years.