What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Old Timer

Coach
o The contracts for Bird and Lawrie were something Flanno inherited.. they didnt offer Bird an extension, he forced our hand. And maybe Bird will find another gig yet... that said hes not the worst depth to have in nsw cup since he can cover probably 1/3/4/6.. and Mat Feagai covers 1/2/3/4/5. Not sure what they will do with Max.

o Rava I believe is not meeting the mark @ training and off-the-paddock.. thats why he is on the outer.. and it reflects in him not meeting his potential on the field also. It really gives the coach no choice, those standards are important to set for the group, that said I am really excited to see him back this week, because his motivation will be sky-high after a horror 6 week period.. if he can break a few broncos players.. it will really set us up for a win.
Lomax & Rava should never have been moved and to think that after 21 tries Rava was shipped off to the left wing where it was already proven he was not suited was stupidity.

Nothing was broken in that combination but if after 3 or 4 games it wasn't working then by all means change it.

It was all about finding a home for Bird so no wonder Rava got pissed off and Lomax was even more motivated to leave.

since77

Juniors
Lomax & Rava should never have been moved
Lomax went from a perennially underperforming centre to one of the games best wingers and a genuinely elite level player. But shouldn't have been moved?
Come on OT even the most ardent of Flanno critics have to admit that was a coaching masterstroke if they're being fair dinkum. The truth is that we are actually a better and more potent team with Lomax on the wing. Its undeniable. At least to people who are seeing things clearly.

Rava is an NRL player. He should adapt. His job isn't hard (in relative terms). Carry the ball hard out of yardage, defend on the edges and finish off try scoring opportunities. Should be same job on both sides of the field, regardless of any natural preferences for left or right. Rava's dip in form is all on him and his attitude.

I will always agree with you that Bird shouldn't be in the centres. Doesn't mean moving Lomax to the wing wasn't a stroke of genius.

Illusion

Bench
Lomax went from a perennially underperforming centre to one of the games best wingers and a genuinely elite level player. But shouldn't have been moved?
Come on OT even the most ardent of Flanno critics have to admit that was a coaching masterstroke if they're being fair dinkum. The truth is that we are actually a better and more potent team with Lomax on the wing. Its undeniable. At least to people who are seeing things clearly.

Rava is an NRL player. He should adapt. His job isn't hard (in relative terms). Carry the ball hard out of yardage, defend on the edges and finish off try scoring opportunities. Should be same job on both sides of the field, regardless of any natural preferences for left or right. Rava's dip in form is all on him and his attitude.

I will always agree with you that Bird shouldn't be in the centres. Doesn't mean moving Lomax to the wing wasn't a stroke of genius.
If Lomax stayed in the center's we wouldn't be having this conversation , and Lomax wouldn't be playing SOO .........

Wolfgang90

Juniors
It's also harder scoring outside of Suli who isn't much of a passer compared to Lomax. Suli has also seen less ball on his side of the field compared to the right side imo. A bit of poor form, potentially some injury issues & lack of similar opportunities contributing to Ravas lesser performance this year.

If you compare Rava to our other wingers this year then he's behind lomax but better than CT & Feagai at wing play.

Old Timer

Coach

So Rava at a try a match average was a problem that Lomax at less than a try a match average has fixed?

Lomax’s performance on the wing is not lost on me but Rava’s 21 try effort last year and not even attempted but for injury this year is not lost on me either.

So in your theory Flanno could not make Zac into a centre and therefore replaced a try scoring metre eater to make Zac into a winger for 1 season and Flanno couldn’t make Rava a better defender on the right so put him on the left where we still leak and barely score a try.

Sublime logic.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
o The contracts for Bird and Lawrie were something Flanno inherited.. they didnt offer Bird an extension, he forced our hand. And maybe Bird will find another gig yet... that said hes not the worst depth to have in nsw cup since he can cover probably 1/3/4/6.. and Mat Feagai covers 1/2/3/4/5. Not sure what they will do with Max.

o Rava I believe is not meeting the mark @ training and off-the-paddock.. thats why he is on the outer.. and it reflects in him not meeting his potential on the field also. It really gives the coach no choice, those standards are important to set for the group, that said I am really excited to see him back this week, because his motivation will be sky-high after a horror 6 week period.. if he can break a few broncos players.. it will really set us up for a win.
Agree.
Re Bird - it's the extension he was given pre-Flanno that we shouldn't have given IMO.
Re Rava - I'm good with dropping a player to get them to lift their game (on and off the field) but I don't agree with the suggestion some are promoting that he should be axed completely.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
It's also harder scoring outside of Suli who isn't much of a passer compared to Lomax. Suli has also seen less ball on his side of the field compared to the right side imo. A bit of poor form, potentially some injury issues & lack of similar opportunities contributing to Ravas lesser performance this year.

If you compare Rava to our other wingers this year then he's behind lomax but better than CT & Feagai at wing play.
Hunt also plays predominantly right so there's always going to be a lack of ball for the guys on the left.

Victoire

Juniors
Saw this post on Reddit just now, and it delves deeper into my long-held theory that the Lomax wanted out because of boxing. Again - this is all copy-pasted. Not my work.

There was this rumour going around about Zac Lomax wanting to do boxing on the side, so I decided to be an internet detective on my day off and look into it.

\\/

***PSA: This is pure speculation, there is no proof to any of this. All of it is alleged. I also have consumed copious amounts of energy drinks before 9am and am buzzing like a motherfker atm.***

/\\

Zac Lomax has stated he won't comment on why he's left the club, despite stating that he loves the Dragons. Which is odd because as the article states, he was due to get $850K and $875K for the last 2 years of his contract. While at Parra, he's rumoured to be getting $2.6 million over 4 years, which is only $650K per year. So why would he leave a club he loves in order to go to a club that's currently not doing well and on less money?

My theory, he was given extremely terrible advice by two former Dragons who are his mates.

Trent Merrin and Jake Marketo, who both played for the Dragons and were part of our 2010 premiership team, run a couple of companies post-footy. There is Azure Partners which claims to be "*Australia's Premium Athlete Advisory*" and then there's Freeze Yourself, a company that deals with ice-baths.

Zac has been featured in photos for both Azure and Freeze, likely due to his friendship with the pair. Now for the detectives reading this, you've likely noticed that Azure Partners are also linked to Curtis Scott, who has now ventured into boxing. Well, that's because they have. No Limit's CEO is George Rose, who himself is a former NRL player. So it makes sense for these former NRL Players to be working together to make their respective companies flourish and grow.

They've likely got a deal with No Limit Boxing to get them people to join up. Now, Zac has an interest in boxing and an article was released last year where Jason Saab wanted to fight Zac Lomax in the ring. And, of course, it was No Limit Boxing who made that statement. There was also an article where the Eels won't block Lomax's demand for him to take up boxing on the side.

So based on everything presented, my theory is that Lomax made a request to the Dragons in order for him for do boxing on the side. Now, given that he's one of the highest paid players in the Dragons, as well as one of the highest paid centres in the game, the Dragons denied his request. That, along with his conversation with Flanagan about his lackluster performance for a man of his level of pay, likely pissed off Lomax.

Lomax has then been told by Merrin and Marketo, through their Azure Partners company, that if he were to do boxing on the side, he could easily make up the amount of money that he'd lose from the Dragons. So Lomax requests the release and the Dragons oblige. Lomax meets with Brad Arthur, discusses his plans to do boxing on the side, takes a ***massive*** pay cut and then signs with them.

Which is hilarious because if that agreement for boxing isn't sealed in ink, Jason Ryles, the new Parra coach, can flat out deny Lomax's request to do it. Which means Lomax would've not only gone to a club who's arguably in a worse spot than the Dragons, but also lost $375K over 2 years ($150K and $225K more for the last 2 years than his $650K deal).

Now I firmly believe that Lomax has this boxing dream of his, set in stone. So he won't backflip, despite how stupid this new deal is, but I think it's something that should be looked into. It feels predatory, especially given Lomax's personal relationship with Merrin and Marketo who I feel are taking advantage of Lomax.

But that's just a theory.

EDIT: I had links to articles and posts, but it kept giving errors when trying to post

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Saw this post on Reddit just now, and it delves deeper into my long-held theory that the Lomax wanted out because of boxing. Again - this is all copy-pasted. Not my work.

There was this rumour going around about Zac Lomax wanting to do boxing on the side, so I decided to be an internet detective on my day off and look into it.

\\/

***PSA: This is pure speculation, there is no proof to any of this. All of it is alleged. I also have consumed copious amounts of energy drinks before 9am and am buzzing like a motherfker atm.***

/\\

Zac Lomax has stated he won't comment on why he's left the club, despite stating that he loves the Dragons. Which is odd because as the article states, he was due to get $850K and $875K for the last 2 years of his contract. While at Parra, he's rumoured to be getting $2.6 million over 4 years, which is only $650K per year. So why would he leave a club he loves in order to go to a club that's currently not doing well and on less money?

My theory, he was given extremely terrible advice by two former Dragons who are his mates.

Trent Merrin and Jake Marketo, who both played for the Dragons and were part of our 2010 premiership team, run a couple of companies post-footy. There is Azure Partners which claims to be "*Australia's Premium Athlete Advisory*" and then there's Freeze Yourself, a company that deals with ice-baths.

Zac has been featured in photos for both Azure and Freeze, likely due to his friendship with the pair. Now for the detectives reading this, you've likely noticed that Azure Partners are also linked to Curtis Scott, who has now ventured into boxing. Well, that's because they have. No Limit's CEO is George Rose, who himself is a former NRL player. So it makes sense for these former NRL Players to be working together to make their respective companies flourish and grow.

They've likely got a deal with No Limit Boxing to get them people to join up. Now, Zac has an interest in boxing and an article was released last year where Jason Saab wanted to fight Zac Lomax in the ring. And, of course, it was No Limit Boxing who made that statement. There was also an article where the Eels won't block Lomax's demand for him to take up boxing on the side.

So based on everything presented, my theory is that Lomax made a request to the Dragons in order for him for do boxing on the side. Now, given that he's one of the highest paid players in the Dragons, as well as one of the highest paid centres in the game, the Dragons denied his request. That, along with his conversation with Flanagan about his lackluster performance for a man of his level of pay, likely pissed off Lomax.

Lomax has then been told by Merrin and Marketo, through their Azure Partners company, that if he were to do boxing on the side, he could easily make up the amount of money that he'd lose from the Dragons. So Lomax requests the release and the Dragons oblige. Lomax meets with Brad Arthur, discusses his plans to do boxing on the side, takes a ***massive*** pay cut and then signs with them.

Which is hilarious because if that agreement for boxing isn't sealed in ink, Jason Ryles, the new Parra coach, can flat out deny Lomax's request to do it. Which means Lomax would've not only gone to a club who's arguably in a worse spot than the Dragons, but also lost $375K over 2 years ($150K and $225K more for the last 2 years than his $650K deal).

Now I firmly believe that Lomax has this boxing dream of his, set in stone. So he won't backflip, despite how stupid this new deal is, but I think it's something that should be looked into. It feels predatory, especially given Lomax's personal relationship with Merrin and Marketo who I feel are taking advantage of Lomax.

But that's just a theory.

EDIT: I had links to articles and posts, but it kept giving errors when trying to post
Just about every part of this is BS made up by agender driven media

Old Timer

Coach

Let me know when Zac gets to 21 tries

Old Timer

Coach
This year when Zac has been winger. How many tries for Rava?
Obviously you can’t read nor comprehend.

Wasn’t 21 tries in 21 games on the right wing enough for Rava to keep his spot?

How many games has Rava played on the right wing this year and how many tries has he scored there?

BLM01

First Grade
Obviously you can’t read nor comprehend.

Wasn’t 21 tries in 21 games on the right wing enough for Rava to keep his spot?

How many games has Rava played on the right wing this year and how many tries has he scored there?
FMD.. I can read and comprehend. You responded to poster saying Rava is behind Lomax in wing player this year quoting your 2023 stats and the side he played on...not sure why. We are talking 2024 and Rav's dip in form
I will say it slower for you..
L.om.a.x has be.e.n on the wi.ng.....this year...being 2024..not 20..23.
Rava....on the other wing..in 2024...... has scored how many tries in comparison?.... when they both were on the field.
Rava is behind... Zac in wing player in 2024 in..c..o..m..parison. Do you comprehend and can read that.?

Next you will be arguing there is no night or day.

Old Timer

Coach
FMD.. I can read and comprehend. You responded to poster saying Rava is behind Lomax in wing player this year quoting your 2023 stats and the side he played on...not sure why. We are talking 2024 and Rav's dip in form
I will say it slower for you..
L.om.a.x has be.e.n on the wi.ng.....this year...being 2024..not 20..23.
Rava....on the other wing..in 2024...... has scored how many tries in comparison?.... when they both were on the field.
Rava is behind... Zac in wing player in 2024 in..c..o..m..parison. Do you comprehend and can read that.?

Next you will be arguing there is no night or day.
FMD they can’t both play right wing at the same time
If Lomax was to be a winger then why not play him left wing and leave Rava on the right?
Rava has played 2 games right wing this year for 3 tries
Lomax has played right wing for 14 games for 11 tries
Who has the better strike rate?

BLM01

First Grade
FMD they can’t both play right wing at the same time
If Lomax was to be a winger then why not play him left wing and leave Rava on the right?
Rava has played 2 games right wing this year for 3 tries
Lomax has played right wing for 14 games for 11 tries
Who has the better strike rate?
FMD...Lomax 11 v 2..Rava has to lift his game no matter what wing he is on ;)
His defence has been ordinary in 1st grade
Lomax scored a hat trick in one game. so in 1 game Lomax scored 3 better strike rake taking your point
Another view to you point. Alex Johnston will soon be the greatest try scorer in the games history
Greatest winger.. in my opinion far from it, might make Top 20
I dont think he has been the best winger ever at Souths

Last edited: