What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

True_Believer

Juniors
FMD they can’t both play right wing at the same time
If Lomax was to be a winger then why not play him left wing and leave Rava on the right?
Rava has played 2 games right wing this year for 3 tries
Lomax has played right wing for 14 games for 11 tries
Who has the better strike rate?
I love Rav. He's my favourite player. I was disappointed to see him get dropped and even more disappointed to see him get suspended for actions that I thought weren't his bag. BUT, he has been poor this year in the games he's played. Now I understand you think that's because he's been moved to a different side of the field. Might be a contributing factor, however defensively he's always had his issues. And he has been further exposed in the move.

With regards to the 21 tries, another way to look at it is - how many games did we win last year with the 21 tries? How many games have we won this year with Lomax on the same wing but with less tries. Obviously the aim of the game is to win matches, not ensure a players try tally has been maintained. I don't care how many tries this player or that player scores so long as we are winning games. If that means Rav has to learn a new side or gets dropped then so be it. The changes Flanno has made isn't the sole reason we are winning more games, but has definitely contributed to the improvement we are seeing.

I hope Rav can improve his game and maintain his spot in the team. I love seeing him on the field.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I love Rav. He's my favourite player. I was disappointed to see him get dropped and even more disappointed to see him get suspended for actions that I thought weren't his bag. BUT, he has been poor this year in the games he's played. Now I understand you think that's because he's been moved to a different side of the field. Might be a contributing factor, however defensively he's always had his issues. And he has been further exposed in the move.

With regards to the 21 tries, another way to look at it is - how many games did we win last year with the 21 tries? How many games have we won this year with Lomax on the same wing but with less tries. Obviously the aim of the game is to win matches, not ensure a players try tally has been maintained. I don't care how many tries this player or that player scores so long as we are winning games. If that means Rav has to learn a new side or gets dropped then so be it. The changes Flanno has made isn't the sole reason we are winning more games, but has definitely contributed to the improvement we are seeing.

I hope Rav can improve his game and maintain his spot in the team. I love seeing him on the field.
You make some great points. I also want to add that his running metres have not been up to his usual damaging best.

Parko1310

Juniors
Let me know when Zac gets to 21 tries
Tries aren't a measure for how good a player is. That's like saying Alex Johnston is one of the better wingers, he's just not. Ravalawa is simply not a very good player whatsoever, and in my view should have been shipped out a few years ago. Sure, he can bash and barge his way over for a try, but how many more has he bombed because he has no athletic ability to dive for the corner? How many contested catches has he taken to dive over and score a try? I'll tell you: exactly 0. He isn't quick, his defence is abysmal, his footballing IQ is non-existent, he can't pass, nor can he kick back on the inside when we make a break like a lot of wingers can do. Top it all off with him by all reports being an extremely lazy trainer and not buying into new standards set and getting on the drink all the time. Extremely limited player who can only do one thing well, plus is lazy. I'd be seeing if Parra want a two for one deal

Dragon David

First Grade
Tries aren't a measure for how good a player is. That's like saying Alex Johnston is one of the better wingers, he's just not. Ravalawa is simply not a very good player whatsoever, and in my view should have been shipped out a few years ago. Sure, he can bash and barge his way over for a try, but how many more has he bombed because he has no athletic ability to dive for the corner? How many contested catches has he taken to dive over and score a try? I'll tell you: exactly 0. He isn't quick, his defence is abysmal, his footballing IQ is non-existent, he can't pass, nor can he kick back on the inside when we make a break like a lot of wingers can do. Top it all off with him by all reports being an extremely lazy trainer and not buying into new standards set and getting on the drink all the time. Extremely limited player who can only do one thing well, plus is lazy. I'd be seeing if Parra want a two for one deal
Wow, I didn't realise how many shortcomings Rava has in his resume. You have detailed many there Parko and I agree with them.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
We all love Rava but the Flanno system just does not work for him. He did score a heap off tries which is great but he also did let a few in due to poor defence. I would rather a winger that was good at both attack and defence not just attack.

Rava would kill it in England. Imagine him up against the pommies. He would probably get 30+ tries a year.

TheRev

First Grade
We all love Rava but the Flanno system just does not work for him. He did score a heap off tries which is great but he also did let a few in due to poor defence. I would rather a winger that was good at both attack and defence not just attack.

Rava would kill it in England. Imagine him up against the pommies. He would probably get 30+ tries a year.
Yep honestly we arent privvy to the stuff going on during the weeks, if these players are let go (Lomax included), there are reasons for it.. not every player is going to fit the mould or fit the culture he is growing.

I just wish he had easier to access to better quality recruits so he could mould that group faster...

True_Believer

Juniors
Yep honestly we arent privvy to the stuff going on during the weeks, if these players are let go (Lomax included), there are reasons for it.. not every player is going to fit the mould or fit the culture he is growing.

I just wish he had easier to access to better quality recruits so he could mould that group faster...
This is exactly it Rev - we just don't know the reasons behind a lot of these decisions and most likely will never know the full details. At some point we have to trust in the coach - and I'm happy to let that play out for the time being as I am seeing improvements and better results on the field.

As far as Lomax goes we just have to move on - no matter what the reason is for him leaving. I have expressed my own opinions but they are just my thoughts. Yes it's sad to see him go now that he's finally reaching his potential - but there's nothing we can do about it. Wish him luck and support the players who have chosen to stay with us.

Mojo

Bench

There are few spectacles more entertaining than a giant Fijian trampling a Pommie.

Old Timer

Coach
FMD...Lomax 11 v 2..Rava has to lift his game no matter what wing he is on ;)
His defence has been ordinary in 1st grade
Lomax scored a hat trick in one game. so in 1 game Lomax scored 3 better strike rake taking your point
Another view to you point. Alex Johnston will soon be the greatest try scorer in the games history
Greatest winger.. in my opinion far from it, might make Top 20
I dont think he has been the best winger ever at Souths

Who gives a f**k about Souths or Johnstone all that is irrelevant

So I take it that you subscribe to the theory that moving a player before a ball is even kicked who just scored 21 tries for the season was a great piece of coaching.

The beneficiaries of the Lomax move
Bird, NSW, Feagai, Parramatta and I admit the fans for some spectacular athleticism by Lomax albeit it was already on show late 2023.
Some would say Lomax is beneficiary but as he wants to play anywhere but wing and is now leaving the club he supposedly loves not sure exactly if he thinks he has benefited.

Losers out of that move
St GI and our best try scorer for 3 out of 4 seasons.

So our Pre miership winning coach evidently can’t make a centre out of Lomax but can make him a winger, can’t make a better winger out of a try scoring metre eater winger, can make a centre out of a busted arse, penalty magnet cripple.

Yes Lomax did score 3 tries in 1 game but ultimately it is the total that will be the yard stick. If not mistaken I think Rava has also bagged 3 in a game so not as if it is beyond him

Anyway for all the toing & froing I somewhat see Zac’s wing play as a consequence of S F’s absolute desire to have Bird at centre rather than Zac will kill it at wing and therefore we have no option but to play Bird at centre.

One will never know what the outcome of having Lomax & Rava together for 2024 would have been but I believe that we should have bothered to find out.

I appreciate your thoughtfully explained post.

For me the measure of whether a changes is good or bad IMO there has to be some sort of comparison so to that end what do we have to compare and I would think 2023 would be fair.

Now taking into account it was a poor year and not many wins to think 1 player scores 21 tries would surely indicate some ability on his part and to totally dismiss that on the idea that Lomax would be better on the wing seems a bit too good to be true. After all many in here said he was way to slow to be a centre let alone a winger.

In the end I think many issues rolled into it but if S F is half the coach people say he his surely he should have sort to remedy a defensive issue to maintain a known and highly successful try scoring combination before dismissing it and instantly making a change.

The argument re we have scored less but won more is interesting and probably needs some better and deeper analysis but if defence was the issue for Rava then the fact that we are still leaking like a sieve both right and left and have had record scores and losses recorded against us would possibly indicate that the move never fixed the problem and perhaps we would have won this number of games anyway.

I think the beauty and spectacular nature of Zac's aerial skills might somewhat be clouding the reality of this debate as for sure and certain we haven't had anything of that nature for a long long time and Rava's barging, bullocking, smashing qualities are somewhat lost due to the agricultural nature of them.

A bit like comparing ballet to weight lifting.

hook hook

Juniors

So I take it that you subscribe to the theory that moving a player before a ball is even kicked who just scored 21 tries for the season was a great piece of coaching.

Bird, NSW, Feagai, Parramatta and I admit the fans for some spectacular athleticism by Lomax albeit it was already on show late 2023.
Some would say Lomax is beneficiary but as he wants to play anywhere but wing and is now leaving the club he supposedly loves not sure exactly if he thinks he has benefited.

Losers out of that move

So our Pre miership winning coach evidently can’t make a centre out of Lomax but can make him a winger, can’t make a better winger out of a try scoring metre eater winger, can make a centre out of a busted arse, penalty magnet cripple.

Yes Lomax did score 3 tries in 1 game but ultimately it is the total that will be the yard stick. If not mistaken I think Rava has also bagged 3 in a game so not as if it is beyond him

Anyway for all the toing & froing I somewhat see Zac’s wing play as a consequence of S F’s absolute desire to have Bird at centre rather than Zac will kill it at wing and therefore we have no option but to play Bird at centre.

One will never know what the outcome of having Lomax & Rava together for 2024 would have been but I believe that we should have bothered to find out.

For me the measure of whether a changes is good or bad IMO there has to be some sort of comparison so to that end what do we have to compare and I would think 2023 would be fair.

Now taking into account it was a poor year and not many wins to think 1 player scores 21 tries would surely indicate some ability on his part and to totally dismiss that on the idea that Lomax would be better on the wing seems a bit too good to be true. After all many in here said he was way to slow to be a centre let alone a winger.

In the end I think many issues rolled into it but if S F is half the coach people say he his surely he should have sort to remedy a defensive issue to maintain a known and highly successful try scoring combination before dismissing it and instantly making a change.

The argument re we have scored less but won more is interesting and probably needs some better and deeper analysis but if defence was the issue for Rava then the fact that we are still leaking like a sieve both right and left and have had record scores and losses recorded against us would possibly indicate that the move never fixed the problem and perhaps we would have won this number of games anyway.

I think the beauty and spectacular nature of Zac's aerial skills might somewhat be clouding the reality of this debate as for sure and certain we haven't had anything of that nature for a long long time and Rava's barging, bullocking, smashing qualities are somewhat lost due to the agricultural nature of them.

The same desire that has bird playing NSW cup and Fegai in the centres?

Parko1310

Juniors
Old Timer your post is spot on
Rava is a beast and you only need to ask the opposition players if they like lining up against him.
Sivo has never recovered after being steamrolled from Rava
Oh but most posters on this forum will tell you if Flano cuts him he was no good
REALLY
Nothing to do with Flano mate, I've never thought much of Rava, and my posts from long ago before Flano was ever appointed will indicate as much. As I've said, I see an incredibly limited player that is the type of mediocrity that needs to be shipped out

dungay dragon

Juniors
I’ve always been 50/50 with Rava

but he will probably score 3 tries tonight and give us a headache again. He loves the right side and has been unstoppable on the right.

Tonight Tui will be left and Rava right.
Would love to see him , just once , come off the bench and be used as a battering ram , when opposition defences are tiring, in Geoff Robinson style ..
Thinking it would be a master stroke ....

BLM01

First Grade

Losers out of that move

In Flanno's case when are you going to lay some blame on the player individual themselves for their own demise.
We dont know what goes on at outside a 80 min game, maybe he has not worked hard enough
Zac has played well there and the team has improved..so Yes a masterstroke to move him out
Why cant a bash and barge winger play on the left, it is not as if he has a great right or left foot step
I have watched closely early on and his timing has been out in where to be in attacking moves..his handling is not good
All of that started in the back half of last year.
For the record I was as Rava advocate on here for his big hits and big runs from the back field but he has lost some of that impact in the past couple of years including last year
Yeh good player close to the line to show strength to score good tries in 2023 but thats it
There is more to winger than that. I have said on here also for me Lomax is not the complete winger either outside of effort plays and a good leap
None of our wingers have great speed but Lomax has more than Rava
To be honest what I have seen this year Feagai deserved his spot in front of him
We will see what tonight brings

BLM01

First Grade
its all about culture with Lomax. he doesn't get the rugby league culture
With Flanno almost bleating out in yesterday's presser what went on in the off season about he was not going to have a bar of playing wing they clashed often at HQ about it and your culture spiel.. nail on head.
Although I think he gets it at the Blues camp but he likely has not applied that fully in club footy
People wonder why Flanno / club did not try harder to convince him to stay
Spoke to him in person, lovely bloke and he talked passionately about the club (although that was last year and back in 2021 when he was asked to come to our footy club preso) and I reckon he loves putting on our jersey
Yes he gets on with his team mates and vice versa (all that talk was a myth) but we need more than all that for our club to get back on track and move forward.
Flanno is our coach ATM, like it or not and all players / staff have to buy in to the culture he is trying to change for us to crawl out of the cellar

Last edited: