What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Dragon David

First Grade
You know that there are and have been a lot of fullbacks/centres/wingers who just have/had natural ability to excel in rugby league - Langlands, Fulton, Reg Gasnier, Eddie Lumsden, Johnny King, Ken Irvine, Slater, and the list goes on. Similarly with the halves and forwards.

Then there are those who nearly have that natural ability but just not able to achieve it. That is why you have many grades and competitions in a lot of sports (no need to spell out the sports involved) where you have top quality players and not so quality players but love participating in the games.

Lomax could just very well be one of those not having that natural ability and needs to keep playing in the same position - no matter which position in the backs - so that he can develop more to reach a better standard even though not great. There are so many players with potential and capabilities in our game and those that are successful are certainly rewarded. Perseverance and good coaching pays in the end.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
You know that there are and have been a lot of fullbacks/centres/wingers who just have/had natural ability to excel in rugby league - Langlands, Fulton, Reg Gasnier, Eddie Lumsden, Johnny King, Ken Irvine, Slater, and the list goes on. Similarly with the halves and forwards.

Then there are those who nearly have that natural ability but just not able to achieve it. That is why you have many grades and competitions in a lot of sports (no need to spell out the sports involved) where you have top quality players and not so quality players but love participating in the games.

Lomax could just very well be one of those not having that natural ability and needs to keep playing in the same position - no matter which position in the backs - so that he can develop more to reach a better standard even though not great. There are so many players with potential and capabilities in our game and those that are successful are certainly rewarded. Perseverance and good coaching pays in the end.
I would put Cooper Cronk and Darius Boyd in that latter category and both ended up pretty decent. Next season though Cody Ramsey May well be ready.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons youngster Zac Lomax Lomax looking to stay put at centre
Dragons Den
r26_216_3862_2151_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

AT HOME: Zac Lomax is focused on locking down his centre spot. Picture: NRL Imagery

DRAGONS youngster Zac Lomax still harbours fullback ambitions, but he insists his immediate focus is on locking down his spot at right centre.

The 20-year-old spent the preseason preparing to play fullback after signing a mammoth five-year deal with the club and being endorsed by Paul McGregor as first-choice No. 1.

It ultimately lasted just one match, with Lomax shifted to the wing in round two and playing the last four post-shutdown matches at right centre.

With Matt Dufty having produced two of his top handful of career performances in consecutive wins, it looks likely to remain the formula for the foreseeable future.

The pair combined for a try in the first half of a 20-8 win over the Titans last week and Lomax is hoping to see some continuity in the coming weeks.

"Duff's a massive confidence player, like a lot of us are, and I'm so happy he's been able to really play some good footy these past couple of weeks," Lomax said.

"I'm super proud of him. I don't think he was the happiest with how he performed earlier in the year but the last couple of weeks he's been one of our best players.

"I'm super stoked for him so I'm sure he's going to continue to bring it and I know he's going to be competing there. I love playing fullback and being able to have my hands on the ball as much as I can but hopefully, whatever the position is, I just want to stay there.

"I got that one game [at fullback] at the start of the year against the Tigers and then a game on the wing. I've stayed at centre since and hopefully I can stay in that one position for a fair while and build some combinations with people around me."

He'll play his fifth straight match there against the Roosters on Friday, a first in his 23 games in the top grade that have seen shifted through multiple positions.

It promises to be a stern test up against on a go-to left edge for Roosters chief play-maker Luke Keary.

"Playing centre for a while helps me really lock down those combinations a bit more with my edge and think we're starting to build something pretty good there," Lomax said.

"Each player wants to build good combinations with their inside and outside players wherever they're playing and I feel like we're doing that. I've been outside Normy and Friz and Mika's been my winger for the last couple of weeks now and I feel we're building some good combinations on that edge.

"Everything starts a bit clunky when you've got people jumping in and out of each different role but it's coming along and it'll be a good test for us this week. The Roosters probably go 60 per cent down their left edge with [Luke] Keary and [Boyd] Cordner down there but we'll be up for it."

Having struggled to find the right formula over the opening four games, McGregor has had one less headache over the past fortnight with Dufty grabbing his shot in the troublesome No. 1 jumper.

Reproducing it on a regular basis remains his challenge, but the 24-year-old is looking to make the most of rule changes that he feels suit his style.

"Consistency has always been a big thing for me and it's more about getting involved in the game," Dufty said.

"When I get involved in the game I tend to play a lot better than when I'm waiting for the ball to come to me. That's what the coaches have been big on lately, just getting me involved so I'm there for the whole 80 minutes and there every week.

"We've changed out attacking structure a little bit and it's lot more suited to the style of footy I like to play. With the way the game's going with the new rules and how fast it is... there's a lot more space.

"Instead of playing that more structured footy we're playing more on the up and pushing around the ball. It suits me a lot better and I've been playing better."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-lomax-looking-to-stay-put-at-centre/?cs=3713

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Dragons youngster Zac Lomax Lomax looking to stay put at centre
Dragons Den
r26_216_3862_2151_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

AT HOME: Zac Lomax is focused on locking down his centre spot. Picture: NRL Imagery

DRAGONS youngster Zac Lomax still harbours fullback ambitions, but he insists his immediate focus is on locking down his spot at right centre.

The 20-year-old spent the preseason preparing to play fullback after signing a mammoth five-year deal with the club and being endorsed by Paul McGregor as first-choice No. 1.

It ultimately lasted just one match, with Lomax shifted to the wing in round two and playing the last four post-shutdown matches at right centre.

With Matt Dufty having produced two of his top handful of career performances in consecutive wins, it looks likely to remain the formula for the foreseeable future.

The pair combined for a try in the first half of a 20-8 win over the Titans last week and Lomax is hoping to see some continuity in the coming weeks.

"Duff's a massive confidence player, like a lot of us are, and I'm so happy he's been able to really play some good footy these past couple of weeks," Lomax said.

"I'm super proud of him. I don't think he was the happiest with how he performed earlier in the year but the last couple of weeks he's been one of our best players.

"I'm super stoked for him so I'm sure he's going to continue to bring it and I know he's going to be competing there. I love playing fullback and being able to have my hands on the ball as much as I can but hopefully, whatever the position is, I just want to stay there.

"I got that one game [at fullback] at the start of the year against the Tigers and then a game on the wing. I've stayed at centre since and hopefully I can stay in that one position for a fair while and build some combinations with people around me."

He'll play his fifth straight match there against the Roosters on Friday, a first in his 23 games in the top grade that have seen shifted through multiple positions.

It promises to be a stern test up against on a go-to left edge for Roosters chief play-maker Luke Keary.

"Playing centre for a while helps me really lock down those combinations a bit more with my edge and think we're starting to build something pretty good there," Lomax said.

"Each player wants to build good combinations with their inside and outside players wherever they're playing and I feel like we're doing that. I've been outside Normy and Friz and Mika's been my winger for the last couple of weeks now and I feel we're building some good combinations on that edge.

"Everything starts a bit clunky when you've got people jumping in and out of each different role but it's coming along and it'll be a good test for us this week. The Roosters probably go 60 per cent down their left edge with [Luke] Keary and [Boyd] Cordner down there but we'll be up for it."

Having struggled to find the right formula over the opening four games, McGregor has had one less headache over the past fortnight with Dufty grabbing his shot in the troublesome No. 1 jumper.

Reproducing it on a regular basis remains his challenge, but the 24-year-old is looking to make the most of rule changes that he feels suit his style.

"Consistency has always been a big thing for me and it's more about getting involved in the game," Dufty said.

"When I get involved in the game I tend to play a lot better than when I'm waiting for the ball to come to me. That's what the coaches have been big on lately, just getting me involved so I'm there for the whole 80 minutes and there every week.

"We've changed out attacking structure a little bit and it's lot more suited to the style of footy I like to play. With the way the game's going with the new rules and how fast it is... there's a lot more space.

"Instead of playing that more structured footy we're playing more on the up and pushing around the ball. It suits me a lot better and I've been playing better."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-lomax-looking-to-stay-put-at-centre/?cs=3713
Good choice, although I am one of the few here that think Zac could make a good 1, or even 6 some day. I do think that he will benefit greatly from time in one position. Bit by bit he will expand his game and build combos. I don’t see it as being unrealistic that the NSW centre pairing in future years very well could be Lomax and Best.

BLM01

First Grade
Good choice, although I am one of the few here that think Zac could make a good 1, or even 6 some day. I do think that he will benefit greatly from time in one position. Bit by bit he will expand his game and build combos. I don’t see it as being unrealistic that the NSW centre pairing in future years very well could be Lomax and Best.
Yes..you are 1 of only a few that see him as a 1 and i dont understand it.
Have you not noticed....he fits like a glove at right centre with what speed, step and strength he has..+ the added bonus of a strong defender....and wait till he fills out more.
Dufty doing OK ATM and you cant compare todays modern fullback to the way Zac plays.
He was never going to be a fullback at NRL level..nor was Kurt Mann
But you are right a potential (at this stage) gun centre for NSW with Best.
But Wighton and maybe Latrell and even Roberts if they gets fit in the body and head.... have probabaly those spots sown up for a while

hazzbeen

Bench
He needs to be in a postion to settle in , wether its centre , fullback , or wing ..... As did K Mann was bought to the club to play fullback , played one bad game and was never sighted again . Our Genius coached Lomax at fullback for the whole off season , and even broadcasted it , then the guy has one game there and that was it ..... Goose ......

Dragon David

First Grade
He needs to be in a postion to settle in , wether its centre , fullback , or wing ..... As did K Mann was bought to the club to play fullback , played one bad game and was never sighted again . Our Genius coached Lomax at fullback for the whole off season , and even broadcasted it , then the guy has one game there and that was it ..... Goose ......
Yes, I think Lomax's position is centre and he should be kept in that position all season. Have a sprint trainer help him in his running game as well.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree, I think Ramsey is our long term 1 anyway but I’m just saying I think he’d go well if given a solid 6 week stint there for a start. I’m hoping next year our back 5 is 1.Dufty
2.Ramsey
3.Wiliame
4..Lomax
5.Saab
Long term I don’t know what we will do with Dufty maybe if he keeps improving his kicking and passing game he will eventually move to 6 with Ramsey once adapted to FG can go back to 1, no one is coming though that much I know.

Saint Pedro

Juniors
Already improving since flanno took over the attack of our side 2 weeks ago....amazing what a decent coach can do in 2 weeks.
Two weeks. Look how good McGregor has gone with six years. A few wins against the Gold Coast, tigers and sharks; a finals win and a couple of other teams playing below par. We have had a very successful run under Mary!!!!

Dragonsamy

Bench

I'm sure you are correct re Matt Shirvington.
But anther thing that wouldn't hurt is if they worked with a AFL guy to improve the jumping and catching .
I know the Storm use to do that.