What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zappia might go

sharks_4_06

Juniors
0,,6596652,00.jpg
Reign over...Denis Fitzgerald. / The Daily Telegraph

DENIS Fitzgerald's 30-year hold over Parramatta is in tatters tonight after his enemies from rebel group 3P stole control of the leagues club and NRL side in an election romp.
None of the current directors survived a bloodbath of unprecedented proportions, with all seven 3P nominees securing full control of the board and Fitzgerald's future. The rout all but ends the career of one of the most colourful and controversial figures in rugby league history.
The club's dire financial position, on-field woes and Chinese "votes for vouchers" scandal combined to send the current board packing in a poll that saw more than 2000 members head to the ballot box.
The rebels will not officially assume control of the board until Tuesday week's AGM, but property developer Roy Spagnolo was immediately touted as new chairman.
Most interest, however, will centre on the CEO's post. Fitzgerald could be sacked as early as next week and while The Daily Telegraph understands Fitzgerald is on an annual wage of $400,000 and is in the middle of a five-year contract, a clause in his contract states that the board can terminate his deal immediately by paying him a year's wages.
Related Links

There are already suggestions the new board may consider selling the Viking Sports Club - an asset of Parramatta Leagues - to help with the probable Fitzgerald payout.
Although all seven 3P nominees were endorsed, two - Joe Saad and Robert Sassen - had to be sacrificed because of a constitutional loophole that states two members of the football club board must also represent the leagues club.
That meant Geoff Gerard and Ron Hilditch are on the board for now, but the rebels are already planning to dump them at the AGM on May 5. Fitzgerald has waged a very public battle with the rebels, in particular club legend Ray Price.
Fitzgerald has a dual role as chief executive of the Leagues Club and the football club. He threw a lavish party last year to celebrate his 30 years in the job. Now he is refusing to quit, given it could jeopardise any payout.
Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia has been mentioned as a possible replacement as football club CEO should Fitzgerald be sacked.
Zappia, the former Parramatta football manager, does not have a contract with the Sharks.
The new board would have to determine whether one man takes over from Fitzgerald or find two replacements - one for the leagues club, the other for the football club.
Asked whether he could work with the new board, dominated by 3P, Fitzgerald said: "Sure, I will work with anyone who the members have voted onto the board.
"I feel disappointed for the hard-working directors who missed out.
"Now, though, I have to turn my attention to working with the new team of directors.
"I just have to get on with my job and work with the new directors in continuing to improve the club."
Asked whether he would be sacked, Fitzgerald told The Daily Telegraph: "That's not for me to answer."
And then asked whether he would quit, Fitzgerald said: "No, not at all. I believe I have plenty to offer and am up for the challenge."
Fitzgerald pinpointed why he thought the results were so lop-sided.
"Because of the biggest financial loss in the club's history and the fact the Parramatta Eels aren't doing well," he said.
One source close to the Eels said: "I guess they have to (sack Fitzgerald). They have painted themselves into a corner."

sharkadelic

Juniors
0,,6596652,00.jpg
Reign over...Denis Fitzgerald. / The Daily Telegraph

DENIS Fitzgerald's 30-year hold over Parramatta is in tatters tonight after his enemies from rebel group 3P stole control of the leagues club and NRL side in an election romp.
None of the current directors survived a bloodbath of unprecedented proportions, with all seven 3P nominees securing full control of the board and Fitzgerald's future. The rout all but ends the career of one of the most colourful and controversial figures in rugby league history.
The club's dire financial position, on-field woes and Chinese "votes for vouchers" scandal combined to send the current board packing in a poll that saw more than 2000 members head to the ballot box.
The rebels will not officially assume control of the board until Tuesday week's AGM, but property developer Roy Spagnolo was immediately touted as new chairman.
Most interest, however, will centre on the CEO's post. Fitzgerald could be sacked as early as next week and while The Daily Telegraph understands Fitzgerald is on an annual wage of $400,000 and is in the middle of a five-year contract, a clause in his contract states that the board can terminate his deal immediately by paying him a year's wages.
Related Links

There are already suggestions the new board may consider selling the Viking Sports Club - an asset of Parramatta Leagues - to help with the probable Fitzgerald payout.
Although all seven 3P nominees were endorsed, two - Joe Saad and Robert Sassen - had to be sacrificed because of a constitutional loophole that states two members of the football club board must also represent the leagues club.
That meant Geoff Gerard and Ron Hilditch are on the board for now, but the rebels are already planning to dump them at the AGM on May 5. Fitzgerald has waged a very public battle with the rebels, in particular club legend Ray Price.
Fitzgerald has a dual role as chief executive of the Leagues Club and the football club. He threw a lavish party last year to celebrate his 30 years in the job. Now he is refusing to quit, given it could jeopardise any payout.
Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia has been mentioned as a possible replacement as football club CEO should Fitzgerald be sacked.
Zappia, the former Parramatta football manager, does not have a contract with the Sharks.
The new board would have to determine whether one man takes over from Fitzgerald or find two replacements - one for the leagues club, the other for the football club.
Asked whether he could work with the new board, dominated by 3P, Fitzgerald said: "Sure, I will work with anyone who the members have voted onto the board.
"I feel disappointed for the hard-working directors who missed out.
"Now, though, I have to turn my attention to working with the new team of directors.
"I just have to get on with my job and work with the new directors in continuing to improve the club."
Asked whether he would be sacked, Fitzgerald told The Daily Telegraph: "That's not for me to answer."
And then asked whether he would quit, Fitzgerald said: "No, not at all. I believe I have plenty to offer and am up for the challenge."
Fitzgerald pinpointed why he thought the results were so lop-sided.
"Because of the biggest financial loss in the club's history and the fact the Parramatta Eels aren't doing well," he said.
One source close to the Eels said: "I guess they have to (sack Fitzgerald). They have painted themselves into a corner."

This is excellent news. Fitzgerald is the one of most heinous cancers in Rugby league and I for one am glad to see him go. Let him go run of the other sports he was touting at the expense at the one that wasted so much money on him

Quigs

Immortal
their leagues club is in dire straights financially

So what are you telling me now Spide.

Are we going to have the East Adelaide Sharks and the West Adelaide Eels.

My mongrel Stains mates up are already telling me that we are going to have the Central Queensland Sharks.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Danger

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25397215-5001021,00.html

Sharks boss Tony Zappia set to be Parramatta CEO

TONY Zappia has been endorsed as Parramatta's next CEO, with Eels chairman-elect Roy Spagnolo revealing the Sharks boss is on his hit list. Now in charge of Cronulla, Zappia cut his teeth in football administration at Parramatta for more than a decade and was tipped to return in the event of an Eels boardroom coup.
The ballot bloodbath that overthrew the sitting directors has left Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzgerald's future virtually untenable, given the new board is controlled by his political enemies. Fitzgerald has publicly vowed not to stand down, but he will have little choice should the new directors establish his involvement in the Chinese "vouchers for votes" scandal once they officially take power next Tuesday.
Zappia - close to several of the new directors - has emerged as the obvious choice to succeed Fitzgerald.

"Tony Zappia did a good job at the club as football manager," Spagnolo said. "He seems to be doing a good job at Cronulla and he's highly regarded.
"I think at the end of the day, if he applied for the position and it was vacant we'd have a close look at him."
Spagnolo revealed Zappia has already been approached by Manly and Wests Tigers. Cronulla also don't have a contract tying him to the Shire.
"I want to stress there's been no approach but in this tight financial environment you can't rule anything out," Zappia said. "If the opportunity becomes available I'll look at it, but I'm very happy at Cronulla for now."

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
oh , no, they are dumb. Leave the confines of the Sharks forum at your peril. That main NRL forum is just a cesspit of dumb farkers.

cityshark

Juniors
Zappia would have to be too smart to go back there. I recon thats why he got out , he could see the rebels coming.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Maybe with Zappia gone, we could get Bird back. I would be happy with that swap.

:lol: there might be a slight problem there...

btw, Parra would have to ward off approach's from Manly and the Tigers to get him back..there's a reason why he's a popular operator and that's because he's f**king brilliant!!

spider

Coach
i agree unfortunately stagger

i cant see zappia at the sharks next year

there will be one pie too sweet to reject

coolumsharkie

Referee
:lol: there might be a slight problem there...

btw, Parra would have to ward off approach's from Manly and the Tigers to get him back..there's a reason why he's a popular operator and that's because he's f**king brilliant!!

Sounds like he's a good Dad also, you must be proud.

Stagger eel

Staff member
i agree unfortunately stagger

i cant see zappia at the sharks next year

there will be one pie too sweet to reject

I really don't think it's a done deal at Parra..but I do believe he's on his way out to whom is anyone's guess.

Sounds like he's a good Dad also, you must be proud.

I believe he's a terrific and devoted father, not that this has anything to do with it.