What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zero tackle after a missed field goal

Valheru

Coach
The rule was designed to stop teams purposely kicking the ball dead to avoid fullbacks like Inglis, Slater etc. returning the ball, however it has other ramifications which are unfair IMO.

Teams should not be getting 7 tackles because the opposition team tried to ground a grubber and knocked on in goal for example, it is ridiculous.

Bulldog Force

Referee
It's f**ked enough as it is. Getting a 20 metre piggy-back once the ball goes dead is good enough... why give teams an extra tackle?

LineBall

Juniors
Perhaps change the rule so that:

1. Any unsuccessful attempt at field goal results in a normal 6 tackle set from the 20 metre line.

2. Any kick from within the 20 metre line that goes dead results in a restart from the 20 metre line, normal 6 tackles.

3. Any kick that goes dead from outside the 20 metre line results in a tap restart from where the kick was taken.

betcats

Referee
I like the 7 tackles especially for field goals. Before the 7 tackle rule in golden point teams would hit field goals from anywhere I saw a team go from 55 metres just for the f**k of it.

Dutchy

Immortal

1. Any unsuccessful attempt at field goal results in a normal 6 tackle set from the 20 metre line.

2. Any kick from within the 20 metre line that goes dead results in a restart from the 20 metre line, normal 6 tackles.

3. Any kick that goes dead from outside the 20 metre line results in a tap restart from where the kick was taken.

This, but 30m.

betcats

Referee

You are taking 1 simple rule and making it into 3 rules. Just have 7 tackles or dont, no need to overthink it.

alien

Referee
Getting a 20 metre piggy-back once the ball goes dead is good enough... why give teams an extra tackle?

i know right. without the zero tackle they should be able to make atleast 40 metres after 5 tackles, and from there they are in position to put in an attacking kick eg bomb.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Does anyone remember when teams like the Titans and Dragons used to kick it dead intentionally so that they could set their defensive line and nullify the opposition fullbacks ability to start their sets off with momentum? 7 tackle rule is great, if you don't want to concede an extra tackle don't kick it dead.

Valheru

Coach
Precisely, the balance is correct.

How is knocking on in goal whilst trying to score a try worthy of a punishment of 7 tackles from the 20m line?

What about getting bundled in touch in goal resulting in 7 tackles as opposed to 1cm before the try line resulting in a 10m scrum.

It just doesn't make sense.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Does anyone remember when teams like the Titans and Dragons used to kick it dead intentionally so that they could set their defensive line and nullify the opposition fullbacks ability to start their sets off with momentum? 7 tackle rule is great, if you don't want to concede an extra tackle don't kick it dead.
So because of a minor annoying tactic played by 2 teams we have a rule change that greatly affects games. I'm a souths fan and the rule change was massively in our advantage but that doesn't make it any less of a stupid rule

DURRRHURRR

Juniors

Why the rule should only apply for kicks from 30m out or more, teams wont give away an attacking kick by booting it out the back of the in goal. The kicking it dead intentionally was a lazy tactic for kickers not good enough to find the corner on a defensive kick so the rule half works just needs tweaking.

bottle

Coach
I think Saints did it once in a game against Melbourne to try and counter Slater running it back. I recall the commentators making a big deal about it, so naturally it sucked the feeble minded into believing it was a recurring strategy.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think Saints did it once in a game against Melbourne to try and counter Slater running it back. I recall the commentators making a big deal about it, so naturally it sucked the feeble minded into believing it was a recurring strategy.

yep.. and a few teams did it against boyd too, IIRC...

but if they change the rule like the OP says and not include field goals in this rule, all teams have to do is take repeated 'missed' shot at field goal to nullify the fullback in a game..

ek999

First Grade
yep.. and a few teams did it against boyd too, IIRC...

but if they change the rule like the OP says and not include field goals in this rule, all teams have to do is take repeated 'missed' shot at field goal to nullify the fullback in a game..

Similar to rugby union where if the ball is kicked dead it is a scrum where the kick took place but if it is a field goal attempt its a 22m drop out. Remember the Brumbies one day taking field goal attempts to wind down the clock when they had a player in the sin bin

Latest posts