What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zillman to Titans

donkey|rope

Juniors
Blessing in disguise.

Earlier this season and prior to it, I was adamant we had to keep Zillman at all costs. But with ACL mark 2, Carney's re-signing and Goodwin's emergence, he simply isn't a valuable enough an asset to waste paying overs for.

Moreover he's demonstrated that not only is he soft physically, but mentally. His reason for running home to QLD was to be closer to his folks - f**k me - if thats the case, I say keep going junior, climb back into your old lady's vagina because this world ain't for you, sunshine.

Paullyboy

Coach
Spike - We know you are just trying to get nibbles but seriously, it's tiresome, find something better to do.

Bay I agree with you - when I said we shouldn't have to throw big bucks at Bronx I wasnt saying I dont want us to keep him at all costs, I was saying that if he played for any other club they would be able to retain him at a minimal cost - but he'll probably be in our top 4 paid players after playing a handful of good (not great) first grade games the way our club is run.

trev

Juniors
Honestly, as long as Goodwin stays, I don't mind that Zilly goes.

Sure, Zilly's a great talent, but I think Goodwin has more potential at full-back than on the wing, and it's his preferred position.

Since I've heard this news all I've been able to see is red...

I'm fuming at the ridiculous levels of incompitence that the management of this club operates at.

Zillman will be one of the SUPERSTARS of the future. And he's gone.

This club is run like a f**king chook raffle and its going backwards fast.

Everyone is extatic that Furnace has signed as coach next season. Yeah, well I can't see it as a positive anymore. It's another one of the 'jobs for boys' that is pandemic at this club. We could have gone after Lang or Murray. The kind of coach that players want to play under. Furnace is unproven and untested. He may be supercoach, but I can't see any star player going 'wow, Canberra is being coached by David Furner, I want to play there!'.

I will never support another club but Canberra. I simply never could. But the fact of the matter is, it's getting f**king difficult to support a club that seems to be intent on doing nothing but running itself into the ground. I am increasingly thinking that in a few years I'll be a fan who is lost to union, it's not just players who are defecting.

I've always scoffed at those who suggest Canberra may be punted from the competition one day. Management is not going out of their way to make it difficult.

For f**ks sake.

Im as angry as anyone , but you cant blame management for Zilly or Henry leaving, Zilly wants to be with family , good on him , he can f*k off with henry. Zilly has just had his 2nd season ending injury , whos to say it wont be a 3rd or 4th , Tigers havent had much value out of Benji.

Raiders will survive without Zilly and Henry and Costigan ( if he goes as well) there will always be young players wanting a chance to play NRL , Raiders may be the club that affords them that.
In all honesty , Goodwin is a more natural fullback than Zilly.

the sky hasnt fallen in , it may have gotton a bit overcast , but sunny days are not that far away.

Spike

First Grade
Spike - We know you are just trying to get nibbles but seriously, it's tiresome, find something better to do.

I don't want the Raiders in the NRL, it's as simple as that. Relocate to the Perth or Adelaide, pack up altogether and become primarily Brumbies country, whatever. So long as the Raiders continue to be in the NRL, I'll continue to the boot in at every opportunity. Get use to it and just ignore my opinions.

Timbo

Staff member
Im as angry as anyone , but you cant blame management for Zilly or Henry leaving, Zilly wants to be with family , good on him , he can f*k off with henry. Zilly has just had his 2nd season ending injury , whos to say it wont be a 3rd or 4th , Tigers havent had much value out of Benji.

Raiders will survive without Zilly and Henry and Costigan ( if he goes as well) there will always be young players wanting a chance to play NRL , Raiders may be the club that affords them that.
In all honesty , Goodwin is a more natural fullback than Zilly.

the sky hasnt fallen in , it may have gotton a bit overcast , but sunny days are not that far away.

Lets all live in sunshine fairy land. It's a magical place where happiness is just around the corner.

You say I can't blame management? bullsh*t.

I BLAME MANAGEMENT.

We are currently using our entire (or almost our entire) salary cap with the squad we have now.

What the f**k? How is that possible? Who are we paying for?

Mason. O'Meeley. Anasta. Minichello. Tupou. This is what the Roosters can afford and stay under the cap.

Orford. Bell. Lyon. Kite. Stewart. This is what Manly have, also under the cap.

Carrol. Clinton. Hunt. Hodges. Lockyer. Brisbane. You guessed it - under the cap.

Bailey. Campbell. Prince. Rogers. Harrison. That's what the Gold Coast have.

Shall I continue?

EVERY SIDE IN THE COMPETITION has four or five headline players. EXCEPT US.

Let's try doing that list for us, shall we?

Costigan. Carney. Tongue...um...Withers...Monaghan...

You say I can't blame management?

THEN WHERE IN THE NAME OF GOD IS ALL OF OUR MONEY GOING?

Bay56

First Grade
f**k Timbo ... I thought you were pro-management ... what has changed.

But seriously mate I agree with your comments and have been saying all that and more for years.

Why cant we afford 5 or so marquee players ... that is what makes the diff between the top sides ... we've had a system for years where David Howell will get paid the same amount as a Joey Johns ... hence we dont have any players of the calibre of Johns.

Who is to blame ... the cleaning lady ... maybe the messenger ... the buck stops with those that make the final decision and sign the checks.

Timbo

Staff member
f**k Timbo ... I thought you were pro-management ... what has changed.

But seriously mate I agree with your comments and have been saying all that and more for years.

Why cant we afford 5 or so marquee players ... that is what makes the diff between the top sides ... we've had a system for years where David Howell will get paid the same amount as a Joey Johns ... hence we dont have any players of the calibre of Johns.

Who is to blame ... the cleaning lady ... maybe the messenger ... the buck stops with those that make the final decision and sign the checks.

Bay I'm starting to sympathise with you.

Look, I went to uni for a year in Canberra, aged 18, and it sucked. Canberra sucks if you're young and dont have many friends down there.

But still. If Easts can afford that many star players, we should at least be able to afford two or three.

Bay56

First Grade
Bay I'm starting to sympathise with you.

Look, I went to uni for a year in Canberra, aged 18, and it sucked. Canberra sucks if you're young and dont have many friends down there.

But still. If Easts can afford that many star players, we should at least be able to afford two or three.

Timbo I'm with ya all the way ... I'm defending the Raiders every Monday and Firday drinks from Boncos and Bumbies supporters ... have been for a good decade.

Imo we can afford to pay $400K, $350K and 4 x $250K on six marquee players ... it is the only way we are going to get out of the rut we currently find ourselves.

All this crap about junior development only takes you so far ... we've just lost Zillman and almost lost Carney .. what does that say about junior development ... the NRL doesnt hand out points for development ... it hands out points on the table for winning games of footy.

Yea continue with junior development, but for those juniors to make decisions regarding their futures they have to be encouraged by results that the club attains on the footy field ... and atm we suck big time in that department

who chooses the players we buy , is it Furner , McIntyre , our talent scouts or is it the coach? All management can do is offer the money , if the players wants to take less and play somewhere else how the f*ck is that managements fault, if the player leaves to play near his family how is it managements fault. Where management has f*cked up is these stupid clauses inserted in the players ( and coach ) contracts , but maybe that was done to keep the player here as long as we did , if he didnt have that clause who's to say he would of signed on last time.
The Raiders have one of the best training facilities , Henry was making inroads to the structure of the club, these things should be able to entice players but its not happening . for whatever mineset is out there players dont want to come to Canberra.
What the answer is to change that I dont know , could Cullen , Waldron do any better , I dont really think so.

Come and join me in Fairy land

matt

Juniors
oh come with us and gallop and gallop and gallop.... our animal freinds will take us will take us will take us... to places far away.

Bay56

First Grade
Raidersareawesome ..

you note that some players may want to be closer to family ... so why in hell did it take so long to sign Carney? ... there are many fine country juniors that would be closer to family if they lived in Canberra.

And why in hell do we have a club called Souths Logan !!! ... FFS that is Qld the last time I looked on the map.

Its only 1/2 hour up the road , but how do use that to sign QLDers , do we say to them sign with us and you can play in the QLD cup , all that is, we have an avenue for some young kids to come through to play in the NRL. probably we should also have a team in the NSW premier league.

Dont care I just had 50 on the Panthers winning 13+ , Im happy and Im off to play in fairy land

Lime_Green

Juniors
Lets all live in sunshine fairy land. It's a magical place where happiness is just around the corner.

You say I can't blame management? bullsh*t.

I BLAME MANAGEMENT.

We are currently using our entire (or almost our entire) salary cap with the squad we have now.

What the f**k? How is that possible? Who are we paying for?

Mason. O'Meeley. Anasta. Minichello. Tupou. This is what the Roosters can afford and stay under the cap.

Orford. Bell. Lyon. Kite. Stewart. This is what Manly have, also under the cap.

Carrol. Clinton. Hunt. Hodges. Lockyer. Brisbane. You guessed it - under the cap.

Bailey. Campbell. Prince. Rogers. Harrison. That's what the Gold Coast have.

Shall I continue?

EVERY SIDE IN THE COMPETITION has four or five headline players. EXCEPT US.

Let's try doing that list for us, shall we?

Costigan. Carney. Tongue...um...Withers...Monaghan...

You say I can't blame management?

THEN WHERE IN THE NAME OF GOD IS ALL OF OUR MONEY GOING?

Damn right! :x

Bay56

First Grade
f**k .. more people onto my bandwagon :lol:

think I better oil those wheels

Charlie124

First Grade
I think the Raiders need to take a leaf out of Souths book in terms of their recruitment policies, as much as we're all sick of hearing about Souths (from souths) they do a good job of selling their brand. A good salesman can sell dog sh*t and make the customer wonder how they ever lived without it.
Only a few years ago Souths was thought of the way Canberra is thought of now, a sh*t place to live, a sh*t team to play for and a red line through your rep career, they signed the busted has been players who were looking for a last contract then a retirement.
Look at what theyve attracted since then, Wing, Asotasi, Vagana, Peachey, Kidwell, Widders etc... not to mention the players theyve retained in that time. They also havnt really lost many players they wanted to keep. How have they managed to change the mental image that players had of souths as a possible career move?? They sell themselves well. Redfern is still a sh*thole, nothing changed there, the club is still unsuccessfull, no change there either.
But the difference now is that they have a tight bond with each other, a manufactured belief that they have the ability to become a great team again. They also recruited smart, notice the ammount of Kiwis/Islanders souths recruited? theses players are the type that play for pride and for each other, they have a very tight knit group now at souths and its largly bought.
For me i think it starts with a respected Coach that players want to play for, i realise Don Furner is a well respected person in Canberra but i think they really needed to recruit outside of that "boys club" and go for someone like Lang, Murray, Folkes, Anderson to head their team, after that they really need to buy not just one marquee player and hope that will be enough, good players attract other good players. Potential buys want to know that when they pack their bags and head to canberra, there will be severall other good players joining too.
But to get this all happening they need to really sell the idea of "brotherhood" and "mateship" to their targets, create some excitement about it, make them believe they will really be missing out if they pass up this opportunity to be part of something big, like Souths did.
The way it looks now is that there are so few marquee players there, they can pretty much ask for what they want and get it, management should be getting to the point where theyre in a position to say "no, you want to stay at this club surrounded by all these great players, you need to sign for less"
The way Canberra seems to be now is just unattractive, they come accross like youre doing them a favour by signing for them, they need to stop throwing lifelines to the bad boys from other clubs too.

Latest posts