What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zillman's 5 tries in PL!

Raider_69

Post Whore
i dont disagree with this team aspect your refering to TR, but every now and again, a kid comes along that has that much talent, that exceptions to this rule must be made... Zillman is too talented to be in PL, i dont care how it's done, who gets dropped for him, but he's too good to be wasted in pl

I agree, our goal for this year is to win the competition. At the moment we don't have the spark and brilliance required to win the comp. We MUST play Zilly off the bench.

thickos

First Grade
I agree that he should be in the side, but i doubt it will happen. Purtell went well, as did all the backs, and really you cant drop a guy from our backline... let's say it was the Turtle who got the punt, it would really rattle his confidence. Maybe he's developing into a handy player for us - his form has been better recently - so he deserves to stay in the top grade.

I don't know where he would go but no way any of the old heads like Smith or Woolford will make way for Zillman in Rd 23 when we have a spot in the eight on the line.

steven_tiger

Juniors
here is my report from the raiders website.

VB Premier League by Steven Fattore
August 7, 2006

William Zillman showed he is ready for a first grade call-up, scoring five tries in the Canberra Raiders 78-6 demolition of the Cronulla Sharks at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

The Raiders scored 14 tries, seven in each half, to blow the Sharks off the park, in a club record score for the green machine.

Zillman was unstoppable with the ball in hand, terrorising the Sharks’ defensive line all game, scoring his five and having a hand in three other tries.

“He is an awesome talent; there is no doubt about that,” said Coach Andrew McFadden. “He’ll make the step up.”

“He’ll take a little while to develop but I know he’s a top class first grader and with guys like him, and a few others in the team, this club has got a good future,” he said.

One of those future stars in Bronx Goodwin also had a brilliant game, notching a personal tally of 30 points through two tries and 11 goals.

McFadden was impressed with the ruthlessness of the team.

“No I didn’t expect that at all. I knew that we prepared well and I knew that we were coming up against a team that probably wasn’t in the greatest form.

“So I expected us to win and win comfortably with the team we had and the way we prepared.

“Obviously that sort of score line is a bit flattering, but they earned it and they really gelled well together and things come of when you are playing like that,” he said.

Goodwin got the scoring underway in just the second minute, going over after some quick hands from his team mates.

Zillman scored his first five minutes later, slicing through and pinning his ears back to cross next to the posts.

The nippy half then finished off a 90 metre special for the Green Machine. Goodwin took a bomb on his ten-metre line and headed off down field before passing to Chad Grintell who found Zillman who finished off the movement showing great pace. Goodwin missed the difficult conversion for a 14-0 lead after 16 minutes.

Three minutes later Joe Picker picked up a pass from Ryan Hinchcliffe to crash over and when Terry Campese hurdled his way over Sharks fullback Toshio Laiseni to score under the posts, the Raiders were up 26-0.

With only minute to half time, Zillman scored the best try of the game. Inside his own 30-metre area he scorched through a gap in the defence and ran around Laiseni, before outpacing three covering defenders to score under the posts.

On the stroke of half time Goodwin produced a chip and chase for himself, before getting the ball to Campese who gave it back to Goodwin who pulled out a no look flick pass for Ale to go over in the corner.

That made the score 38-0 at the break, with the Sharks having no answer to the big Raiders forwards and the razzle-dazzle of the backs.

Nathan Smith found the try line after 46 minutes, backing up some more Zillman magic, and when Dane Tilse broke through a tackler to score the Raiders were in sight for another half century.

It didn’t take long for that mark to be eclipsed when Ale capitalised on a Sharks mistake to run 70 metres, pushing off speedster Leon Bott, to score.

When the Sharks final for some possession and field position, Zillman still managed to find a way to score, plucking a pass out of the air and streaking away to score his fourth try for a 60-0 lead.

A brilliant run from second rower Jack Pearson set Goodwin up or his second, and when prop Brenton Lawrence collected the kick off and ran 70 metres, Zillman was on the spot to collect his fifth try of the day.

The Sharks finally managed to get on the board with 12 minutes to go, new Raiders signing Brett Kelly scoring against his future club.

The Raiders weren’t finished their scoring though, with Smith nabbing his second try after the Sharks fumbled the ball in their own in goal. Goodwin landed his 11th conversion for the day and the score remained 78-6 until fulltime.

While the backs got all the accolades for the win, it was the forwards who laid the foundation.

“These sort of days it gets a bit frustrating for the front rowers because the backs like touching the ball in these sort of circumstances.

“But they did a great job. BJ (Lawrence), Jace Williams and big Tilsey, he took the disappointment of getting dropped this week really well.

“They say you always win the games through your forwards and the backs finish it off, well that’s exactly how the game went today,” said McFadden.

McFadden said that while a win of that magnitude it good, it isn’t the type of game he is looking for a month of from the finals.

“It is really good to get that sort of win – it is really good for our points for and against.

“But I can take that one, but I don’t want a whole lot of those. I don’t think it is good for us, because you get a little complacent and when you come up against adversity you might tend to struggle,” he said.

“I don’t want too many of those games, but we are not playing any teams that are that high up on the ladder, so, in all honesty we probably should chalk up a few points in the next month.

The win boosts Canberra to fifth position, hot on the heels on the top four, and with a superior for and against to most of those above them, McFadden has his eyes on one of those positions.

“If we can get top four that will set is nicely for the finals. We will still be that little underdog where we just sneak up on teams, but I’m sure we will have some teams worried about us,” he said.

CANBERRA 78 (William Zillman 5, Bronx Goodwin 2, Jermaine Ale 2, Nathan Smith 2, Joe Picker, Terry Campese, Dane Tilse tries; Goodwin 11 goals) defeated CRONULLA 6.

Stuart

Juniors
thickos said:
I agree that he should be in the side, but i doubt it will happen. Purtell went well, as did all the backs, and really you cant drop a guy from our backline... let's say it was the Turtle who got the punt, it would really rattle his confidence. Maybe he's developing into a handy player for us - his form has been better recently - so he deserves to stay in the top grade.

I don't know where he would go but no way any of the old heads like Smith or Woolford will make way for Zillman in Rd 23 when we have a spot in the eight on the line.

Id bring him in for Chalk...

I Honestly think we need to bite the bullet with Withers for this season. We already have a decent hooker and we can't afford 2 little men on the bench.

Zilly would provide a sh*tload more in attack than withers so i think even though he had a decent game yesterday its time to give him the chop until 2007 where he will replace woolford.

Having said all that, I know it won't happen.

woodgers

Bench
I stood there watching PL yesterday with absolute delight. I can honestly say that Zillman's performance in that match was the most dazzling, complete performance I have seen by a player in the green jumper since I can remember. It wasn't even the fact that he was playing 'kids' with the Sharks defence for 80 minutes, it is just that he is a super exciting player and scores the most breathtaking tries.

People have said in here that you can't put him in 1st's because they won, I say they mustn't have seen the game yesterday. I honestly believe that he would have to easily be in the top 10 best players at the Canberra Raiders, probably top 5 (and no, that isn't getting carried away 'over-hyping' him, that is my assessment of watching players in the top 2 squads). He should easily be in the top 17, find a place for him anywhere, it does not matter where. He is a rare talent and would be in 1st grade at any other club. When is the last time you heard any halfback scoring more than say 3 tries? Never. The most elusive player in Green by a mile. He HAS to be named on Tuesday arvo, no question or debate about it I reckon.

Also, Bronx Goodwin was superb as well. Very safe at the back and his link up and support play is quality. He creates a hell of a lot with the ball from fullback and was brilliant yesterday.

Anyone who gets to Raiders games, do yourself a favour and get there for the Premier League. It is always a pleasure to watch them play and you see tries that would make any highlights reel. Even players like Grintell and Brad Cross are enjoyable to watch out wide.

Bay56

First Grade
woodgers said:
Anyone who gets to Raiders games, do yourself a favour and get there for the Premier League. It is always a pleasure to watch them play and you see tries that would make any highlights reel. Even players like Grintell and Brad Cross are enjoyable to watch out wide.

Got to agree with your there Woody ... I'd pay money just to see PL play ... they are a hot-n-cold side but when they are hot (like yesterday) they exhibit a game that you dont often see by FG.

It wasnt only the 5 tries that Zilly scored .. it was also the three others where he made the clean break that resulted in a try with just a couple more passes or plays.

His best try was the one where 10 m out with the defence coming off their line he got through untouched and casually put the ball down with one hand .... reminds you of Fitler at his best.

I to dont want to hype the guy up (hard not to do) ... FG will be a step up for him .. but imo I just look at the guy and realise that he just has confidence in his own abilities.

Raider_69

Post Whore
William Zillman was born to play First Grade rugby league
at present we are impeding his purpose in this world

if elliott in any ways fears the wrath of god, he will name him this week!

Chachi

Bench
Does anyone know how many he's scored this year? With the 2 in FG it must be almost 25 or 30 which is amazing considering he was out for a month or so with a busted arm. The kid is a freak and if Craig Frawley can get on the field 13 times this year, then Zillman should be there every game.

thickos

First Grade
Make no mistake I want Zillman in FG - the kid's a freak - but I'm just resigned to the fact it won't happen. If it does, I'd be stunned.

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
William Zillman was born to play First Grade rugby league
at present we are impeding his purpose in this world

if elliott in any ways fears the wrath of god, he will name him this week!

err ... yea :lol:

I was watching Elliott on the sidelines yesterday ... he seemed to be a bit uncomfortable with the fact that Zilly was doing it so easy .... left to the confines of the tunnel on a muber of occassions :lol:

Chachi

Bench
24 tries in 17 games (I think it was 4 he missed with a broken arm). I don't think even Mullins managed that in reggies.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
And the only Cronulla scorer? Canberra's own Brett Kelly!

VB Premier League by Steven Fattore

William Zillman showed he is ready for a first grade call-up, scoring five tries in the Canberra Raiders 78-6 demolition of the Cronulla Sharks at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

The Raiders scored 14 tries, seven in each half, to blow the Sharks off the park, in a club record score for the green machine.

Zillman was unstoppable with the ball in hand, terrorising the Sharks’ defensive line all game, scoring his five and having a hand in three other tries.

“He is an awesome talent; there is no doubt about that,” said Coach Andrew McFadden. “He’ll make the step up.”

“He’ll take a little while to develop but I know he’s a top class first grader and with guys like him, and a few others in the team, this club has got a good future,” he said.

One of those future stars in Bronx Goodwin also had a brilliant game, notching a personal tally of 30 points through two tries and 11 goals.

McFadden was impressed with the ruthlessness of the team.

“No I didn’t expect that at all. I knew that we prepared well and I knew that we were coming up against a team that probably wasn’t in the greatest form.

“So I expected us to win and win comfortably with the team we had and the way we prepared.

“Obviously that sort of score line is a bit flattering, but they earned it and they really gelled well together and things come of when you are playing like that,” he said.

Goodwin got the scoring underway in just the second minute, going over after some quick hands from his team mates.

Zillman scored his first five minutes later, slicing through and pinning his ears back to cross next to the posts.

The nippy half then finished off a 90 metre special for the Green Machine. Goodwin took a bomb on his ten-metre line and headed off down field before passing to Chad Grintell who found Zillman who finished off the movement showing great pace. Goodwin missed the difficult conversion for a 14-0 lead after 16 minutes.

Three minutes later Joe Picker picked up a pass from Ryan Hinchcliffe to crash over and when Terry Campese hurdled his way over Sharks fullback Toshio Laiseni to score under the posts, the Raiders were up 26-0.

With only minute to half time, Zillman scored the best try of the game. Inside his own 30-metre area he scorched through a gap in the defence and ran around Laiseni, before outpacing three covering defenders to score under the posts.

On the stroke of half time Goodwin produced a chip and chase for himself, before getting the ball to Campese who gave it back to Goodwin who pulled out a no look flick pass for Ale to go over in the corner.

That made the score 38-0 at the break, with the Sharks having no answer to the big Raiders forwards and the razzle-dazzle of the backs.

Nathan Smith found the try line after 46 minutes, backing up some more Zillman magic, and when Dane Tilse broke through a tackler to score the Raiders were in sight for another half century.

It didn’t take long for that mark to be eclipsed when Ale capitalised on a Sharks mistake to run 70 metres, pushing off speedster Leon Bott, to score.

When the Sharks final for some possession and field position, Zillman still managed to find a way to score, plucking a pass out of the air and streaking away to score his fourth try for a 60-0 lead.

A brilliant run from second rower Jack Pearson set Goodwin up or his second, and when prop Brenton Lawrence collected the kick off and ran 70 metres, Zillman was on the spot to collect his fifth try of the day.

The Sharks finally managed to get on the board with 12 minutes to go, new Raiders signing Brett Kelly scoring against his future club.

The Raiders weren’t finished their scoring though, with Smith nabbing his second try after the Sharks fumbled the ball in their own in goal. Goodwin landed his 11th conversion for the day and the score remained 78-6 until fulltime.

While the backs got all the accolades for the win, it was the forwards who laid the foundation.

“These sort of days it gets a bit frustrating for the front rowers because the backs like touching the ball in these sort of circumstances.

“But they did a great job. BJ (Lawrence), Jace Williams and big Tilsey, he took the disappointment of getting dropped this week really well.

“They say you always win the games through your forwards and the backs finish it off, well that’s exactly how the game went today,” said McFadden.

McFadden said that while a win of that magnitude it good, it isn’t the type of game he is looking for a month of from the finals.

“It is really good to get that sort of win – it is really good for our points for and against.

“But I can take that one, but I don’t want a whole lot of those. I don’t think it is good for us, because you get a little complacent and when you come up against adversity you might tend to struggle,” he said.

“I don’t want too many of those games, but we are not playing any teams that are that high up on the ladder, so, in all honesty we probably should chalk up a few points in the next month.

The win boosts Canberra to fifth position, hot on the heels on the top four, and with a superior for and against to most of those above them, McFadden has his eyes on one of those positions.

“If we can get top four that will set is nicely for the finals. We will still be that little underdog where we just sneak up on teams, but I’m sure we will have some teams worried about us,” he said.

CANBERRA 78 (William Zillman 5, Bronx Goodwin 2, Jermaine Ale 2, Nathan Smith 2, Joe Picker, Terry Campese, Dane Tilse tries; Goodwin 11 goals) defeated CRONULLA 6.

ledzep

Bench
thickos said:
Make no mistake I want Zillman in FG - the kid's a freak - but I'm just resigned to the fact it won't happen. If it does, I'd be stunned.
kinda like how i feel with soward :( :( :( :crazy:

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I am hoping that supercoach will actually play Zillman this weekend but will only make the change official on Sunday so the Tigers can't do any homework on Zillman. 2 chances unfortunately!!!!